Author Topic: Green Star Apple (C. cainito)  (Read 5827 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Green Star Apple (C. cainito)
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »
Yesterday I had the opportunity to taste a variety of the green star apple known as Jaco Beach. I think it may have been introduced by Zill's from Costa Rica. Anyone else tried it before? The taste reminded me a lot of coconut. Does anyone know if that is how green star apples usually taste? I found it to be better tasting than the common purple star apple that is found here in FL.

Another thing I liked about the Jaco Beach was that I did not notice any latex in the fruit like the purple ones that make them a bit more difficult to eat. I was able to eat the Jaco Beach by just breaking the fruit open with my hand and eating the insides.

I forgot to take a pic. I will see if I can get one later and upload it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:53:52 PM by murahilin »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Green Star Apple (C. cainito)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
seems like most fruits taste better when it's just the plain green type, or yellow type, rather than reds or purples.

Like custard apple, caimito, sugar apple, and even mangoes sometimes...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
We had a lot of star apples last time we were in JA.  The green star apples were a lot better in my opinion, better taste and fewer seeds, but coconut didn't come to mind.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
The best type I tried was called  copper and was kinda beige with a rosy tinge.A giant seedless purple like a flattened huge haitan with only occasional seeds was a 'star' at an NQ public property and has now passed away.I don't think it was ever propagated.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
seems like most fruits taste better when it's just the plain green type, or yellow type, rather than reds or purples.

Like custard apple, caimito, sugar apple, and even mangoes sometimes...

I think that may be personal preference. I am sure there are others who would think the inverse. For example, I think red apples are better than green apples.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
We had a lot of star apples last time we were in JA.  The green star apples were a lot better in my opinion, better taste and fewer seeds, but coconut didn't come to mind.

This was the only green star apple I've ever had so I am not sure if the coconut flavor was only in this one cultivar or not. Do you have pics from the fruits you got to try in JA?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Yesterday I had the opportunity to taste a variety of the green star apple known as Jaco Beach. I think it may have been introduced by Zill's from Costa Rica. Anyone else tried it before? The taste reminded me a lot of coconut. Does anyone know if that is how green star apples usually taste? I found it to be better tasting than the common purple star apple that is found here in FL.

Another thing I liked about the Jaco Beach was that I did not notice any latex in the fruit like the purple ones that make them a bit more difficult to eat. I was able to eat the Jaco Beach by just breaking the fruit open with my hand and eating the insides.

I forgot to take a pic. I will see if I can get one later and upload it.

Never heard of that cultivar, but probably just a name somebody invented, not a registered cultivar, I've never detected any coconut like taste in any of the green cultivars here. About green vs. purple, it's like saying green cars drive better than purple cars! I think you need to know the cultivar (brand name) before that kind of assertion makes any sense.
Oscar

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
I can't say my green starapple ever reminded me of coconut.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Never heard of that cultivar, but probably just a name somebody invented, not a registered cultivar, I've never detected any coconut like taste in any of the green cultivars here. About green vs. purple, it's like saying green cars drive better than purple cars! I think you need to know the cultivar (brand name) before that kind of assertion makes any sense.

I didn't make the assertion that all greens were better than purples but just that the Jaco Beach green star apple was better than any of the common purple ones I've had in FL. By common, I meant the ones most commonly found in South Florida. I've had the regular Haitian, A-1, and Excalibur, and I was not a big fan of any of them.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »

This was the only green star apple I've ever had so I am not sure if the coconut flavor was only in this one cultivar or not. Do you have pics from the fruits you got to try in JA?

No pics but I did happen to find some seeds in one of my pockets when I got home.   ::) 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »

I didn't make the assertion that all greens were better than purples but just that the Jaco Beach green star apple was better than any of the common purple ones I've had in FL. By common, I meant the ones most commonly found in South Florida. I've had the regular Haitian, A-1, and Excalibur, and I was not a big fan of any of them.

I never said you made that assertion. I was actually responding to what Stressbaby and Adam said above, and they did make that assertion, or something to that effect:
"The green star apples were a lot better in my opinion, better taste and fewer seeds"
"Seems like most fruits taste better when it's just the plain green type, or yellow type, rather than reds or purples."
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »
I never said you made that assertion. I was actually responding to what Stressbaby and Adam said above, and they did make that assertion, or something to that effect:
"The green star apples were a lot better in my opinion, better taste and fewer seeds"
"Seems like most fruits taste better when it's just the plain green type, or yellow type, rather than reds or purples."

You quoted me though in your first post!  :D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »

You quoted me though in your first post!  :D

Yeah i did not have time to separate my response into individual responses to each, which is what i should have done.
Anyway it's like saying that all green mangos are better than red mangos. There are so many cultivars of each color that unless you name cultivars it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk