Author Topic: Huge mango leaves after pruning  (Read 3164 times)

Herman

• View Profile
Huge mango leaves after pruning
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
In late February, I chopped off more than half of the top of a mallika mango tree, ie pugged it, and now it is staritng to grow new shoots and leaves, but the leaves are humongous as compared to the old leaves.  Is it because it is not having enough light?  Here are some pics:

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Huge mango leaves after pruning
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
In this case I think it has more to do with the fact that the tree is compensating for the loss of leaves. A tree that size wants/needs to create more photosynthetic surface area in order to feed itself adequately! I had the huge leaves thing happen to me on a pruned Carrie that was in full sun, so I don't think it's necessarily the level of sun your plant is getting. Maybe others have different input...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »
bigger leaves usually in less light.  how much light is this tree receiving?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I have a Mango tree that is planted in "not" the sunniest spot(accidentally) and never moved it...in winter the tree only gets about 2-3 hours of direct sun and about 5 hours in the summer and I've Pugged it many times mostly because of freeze damage and I want to keep it small and I've never had the leaves grow that large due to severe pugging or lack of sun. I'm not saying that is not the cause of yours just that has never happened to me before. I have on occasion have one or two HUGE leaves grow but its not very often, rare in fact.

Your tree looks very healthy and as long as its getting at least 6 hours of sun...I'm sure its fine. Just my 2 cents...   

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Thanks all for the replies! Yeah, I live in a condo facing south, so usually by 2PM the mango tree is in shade, but it does get good full sunlight for 4-5 hours.
I'm not feeding it with anything special, just fish emulsion and liquid bone meal, and it was at half strength and AFTER the new leaves have already grown pretty big.
Before that I've been just watering it with distilled water, with a few drops of liquid kelp.
I've never sprayed anything on the leaves except distilled water when I first got it in the mail.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
Thanks all for the replies! Yeah, I live in a condo facing south, so usually by 2PM the mango tree is in shade, but it does get good full sunlight for 4-5 hours.
I'm not feeding it with anything special, just fish emulsion and liquid bone meal, and it was at half strength and AFTER the new leaves have already grown pretty big.
Before that I've been just watering it with distilled water, with a few drops of liquid kelp.
I've never sprayed anything on the leaves except distilled water when I first got it in the mail.

The tree is compensating for the lesser leaves aka. less photosynthesis ,,

I had the same problem with my mangoes every time i heavily prune them ,, nvm about it ,, as the tree pushes new leaves they wll be normal ,,

Amr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk