Author Topic: South West Fl Mangos  (Read 5349 times)

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
South West Fl Mangos
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
I'm one of the few on the SW side and wanted to share the backyard mango progress.  These pics were taken a week or so ago. 

Glenn

Pickering

Valencia Pride

Lancetilla

I also have a NDM with a few mangos, and a Young/Tebow that is hardly hanging on. 
-Brett

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: South West Fl Mangos
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
Nice!
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »
I'm one of the few on the SW side and wanted to share the backyard mango progress.  These pics were taken a week or so ago. 

Glenn

Pickering

Valencia Pride

Lancetilla

I also have a NDM with a few mangos, and a Young/Tebow that is hardly hanging on.
Why are your Lancetillas and Pickering so dark in color ?  Can't say I have seen any young Lancetillas but I have seen young Pickerings and never seen them that dark of a color.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
niiiiiice...Marco.....

Love the purplish mangos...are they all smaller trees?  They don't look real big....
Also, is Marco Island off the West Florida coast...like what, near Fort Myers????

thanks, Fang

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »
niiiiiice...Marco.....

Love the purplish mangos...are they all smaller trees?  They don't look real big....
Also, is Marco Island off the West Florida coast...like what, near Fort Myers????

thanks, Fang
Correct
- Rob

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
bs- i think many of the pics of young pickerings posted by others here also show a very idstinctive red tinge when the mangoes are small

great pics Marco

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Not sure if mine are quite as dark, or if there is camera color bias here to any extent, but my Pickerings and Lancetilla fruit are also red in color at this stage of their development. NIce pictures...thanks for posting.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
Mine had a red blush also before they dropped, but not that dark and no hint of what looked like a purple hue.
- Rob

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
I wondered the same about the coloration until I saw others' pics that looked similar for those varieties. Marco Island is right off the coast of Naples FL (near Ft. Myers).  My yard is completely sand... not a spec of real soil and the trees seem to be doing great.  The Glenn and VP were planted 2 years ago, the others were planted last summer.  All young, but seem to be fruiting well (if they hold on).  Luckily I'm supplemented by a neighbor with a 25 year old unknown variety mango that is completely purple and just fantastic.   I'll post some pics of that when I get a chance to see if others can determine the type. 

Just when I thought I was happy with my collection - I'm dead set on adding an Angie, Maha, and Lemon Zest.  More than likely will swap out the dying Tebow.

- Brett
-Brett

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
I wondered the same about the coloration until I saw others' pics that looked similar for those varieties. Marco Island is right off the coast of Naples FL (near Ft. Myers).  My yard is completely sand... not a spec of real soil and the trees seem to be doing great.  The Glenn and VP were planted 2 years ago, the others were planted last summer.  All young, but seem to be fruiting well (if they hold on).  Luckily I'm supplemented by a neighbor with a 25 year old unknown variety mango that is completely purple and just fantastic.   I'll post some pics of that when I get a chance to see if others can determine the type. 

Just when I thought I was happy with my collection - I'm dead set on adding an Angie, Maha, and Lemon Zest.  More than likely will swap out the dying Tebow.

- Brett
YOUNG

Might also want to consider a Coconut Cream...very yummy.
- Rob

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
 ;D ;D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »

- Brett

In for a penny, in for a Pound

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
Luckily I'm supplemented by a neighbor with a 25 year old unknown variety mango that is completely purple and just fantastic.   I'll post some pics of that when I get a chance to see if others can determine the type. 

- Brett

I've heard that there are some cultivars unique to your area, especially Pine Island.  Looking forward to pics of the purple one.

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Couple updated pictures to share:

Glenn

Valencia Pride

Pickering

Nam Doc mai

My lancetilla lost all its fruit.
-Brett

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
Nice job, I counted 10 ripening mangoes (correct?). Are you going to bag them?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Havent lost any in the past.  We dont have many squirrels or raccoons on the island, but if I get a chance it wouldnt hurt. 
-Brett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk