Author Topic: Reed seedling avocado  (Read 1158 times)

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Reed seedling avocado
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
Thought I would share a 32-35ish year old avocado at my folks house. Dad planted this one there from what he thinks was a reed fruit. Tree has never really been managed as you can see.

Flavor is great but seed is large. Fruit is about 500g on average. I only had one that was a bit past it to cut open but it shows the seed/flesh ratio.

I am going to graft it onto my multi-grafted tree here and preserve my dad's *Jim's Avo* haha. Nothing happening to my folks or the original tree anytime soon but will be nice to have at least a branch on my property :)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:56:04 PM by Ulfr »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Reed seedling avocado
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
That’s awesome,I love seeing seedling trees produce fruit. My friend also has what I believe to be a Reed Seedling. It produces large fruit but the seed is huge and it takes a long time for it to ripen. The fruit has some resemblance to your dads Fruit.

Simon

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
I like growing things from seed to see what happens.  I also have a tree that is about 10 years old which I believe is a Reed Seedling.  Last year was the first year that it set fruit.  I'm hoping that the oil content and flavor will increase over the next several months.  Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:21 PM »
That’s awesome,I love seeing seedling trees produce fruit. My friend also has what I believe to be a Reed Seedling. It produces large fruit but the seed is huge and it takes a long time for it to ripen. The fruit has some resemblance to your dads Fruit.

Simon

Very similar Simon  :)

Your tree looks great Dylan. Bearing well!