Author Topic: Are you enjoying mangos from your freezer?  (Read 7575 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Are you enjoying mangos from your freezer?
« on: December 31, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »
Updated procedure::: I took a sandwich bag of mango slices out of the freezer that I had squeezed most of the air out during this past summer/fall. As per treefrog 10th post down I put the bag under water without letting water in the bag and the bag unfroze within 25 seconds from the mango mass and I slid it into a bowl and discarded the bag. I then put the bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes 22 seconds. I then removed the bowl of mango from the microwave and separated the slices with a spoon and stirred chopped lightly the mass. I then put back in the microwave for 1 minute 22 seconds. I then removed the mango and stirred again and then enjoyed a sweet mango slurry at a little over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  :P

Make sure that you do not heat too much as too much water may evaporate and if it becomes sticky, it will taste worse to most people. The microwave is quick and causes less evaporation than most other choices. (Avoid placing in a pan on the stove as more water will be lost and it will probably become sticky unless water is added or you plan on cooking with this bag of mango)

The last thread I read pertaining to freezing mango was from Mr. Clean http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20731.msg255126#msg255126  a July 2016 posting.

I peeled mine first and then sliced & froze. However, I read Mr. Clean tried freezing some whole. How did that turn out as I did not try it???

Is anyone else trying other means of freezing mangos and how does it taste after thawing?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:13:43 PM by palmcity »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Re: Are you enjoying mangos from your freezer?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:04 PM »
I have froze thousands of mango over the last 20 years. It all depends on the variety. Best are the firmer mangoes for freezing and a great choice is Keitt. It tastes as good frozen as fresh and has a little bit of an orange taste to it when frozen properly. I processed into large cubes or fillets no longer than 4 inches. Whole mango works well when busy but I have only used Carrie this way which is a poor freezing type mango. I recently pulled the old tree out and put Phoenix in.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
Made mango mousse for Christmas

Frozen mango and vanilla ice cream with a touch of soursop nectar is how
I make mango ice cream

No thawing needed

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
When freezing I usually just cut them in small chunks and freeze, then just eat frozen.

This was passed along to me, but I have not tried it.
Peel a whole mango, press wooden chopsticks into the ends of the mango (one at each end, tho 2 at each end would stop it from possibly spinning later).
Place in the freezer.
Once frozen, use the chopsticks as handle and eat away at the mango (a mango Popsicle).

DM

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
Mango Smthies ! Throw it in the Vita Missing x !

Ed
Zone 10

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
If you're into processing your frozen mangoes (eg, for smoothies), nothing beats carrie and / or val carrie. They add an incredible flavor to smoothies.
Jeff  :-)

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
I cut them in little cubes and freeze them horizontally in a plate for the first 2 hours, then once they freeze i separate them and put them in plastic boxes (i do the first step so that they don't stick together and this way i can take out the number of cubes i want to eat directly from the freezer without having to thaw the hole box)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »

I cut them in little cubes and freeze them horizontally in a plate for the first 2 hours, then once they freeze i separate them and put them in plastic boxes (i do the first step so that they don't stick together and this way i can take out the number of cubes i want to eat directly from the freezer without having to thaw the hole box)

That's defiantly the way to go so you can get some treats with minimal effort all year long. When I get tire of cutting them up (or full from eating all the odd shaped piece I freeze them whole. I wait until they are at the perfect stage of ripeness and sometimes a little beyond how I eat them fresh, to really bring out the flavor not worrying about the texture. It makes it easy to identify the variety and not get mixed up in a bag or have so many half empty bags in the freezer. I take the whole ones out set them on the cutting board and wait 10min until I can cut the bottom end off to stand it up. I then use a butcher knife to process down each side of the seed ( business as usual)  sharing the odd shaped pieces with my kids who are by this time crying "mango daddy". Then we feast, if they loose too much of the frozen firmness I just put them back in on the plate until they are little frozen rays of sunshine. 

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
Jeff you gotta Try : Acai-Berries-Mango-Maqui Berry-Camu Camu Smoothie !.
A Power House Of Goodness.

Ed
Zone 10

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 08:07:33 PM »
Thanks for reminding me :D. NDM and Neelam pulp.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
to get frozen mango out of the plastic freezer bags, instead of the microwave i rinse the bag under the hot water tap in the kitchen sink for twenty or thirty seconds.
treefrog land and cattle company

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
Gary Zill has actually recommended freezing the mango whole.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
This was the first summer that I have frozen quite a lot of mango. Have made luscious mango Margaritas for friends.  But my preference is a mango smoothie with nothing added.   8)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
I like to juice them in my Breville and freeze the juice in a bottle.

Then, pull it out later and let it thaw on its own and sip on it as it thaws throughout the day.  Super cold mango juice.  Refreshing and tasty.

Sometimes I'll add some other fruits and veges into the mix for a variable flavored drink as well.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
I rig tarps under my trees and only use fruit that has dropped. Cut them into sections, remove the skin and arrange on a lightly oiled tray. Freeze for 24 hours then bag the frozen fruit.
Serve in a room temperature bowl and they defrost quickly.
For aqua fresca blend 8 oz frozen mango with the juice of 3 key limes in 2 litres of water. Add sugar to taste.
Also grind them in a Yonana machine to make soft-serve mango ice cream.

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
I rig tarps under my trees and only use fruit that has dropped. Cut them into sections, remove the skin and arrange on a lightly oiled tray. Freeze for 24 hours then bag the frozen fruit.

You can put a plastic freezing bag or cellophane paper on the tray instead of oiling it so that the cubes does not stick to the tray during the first freezing operation.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 02:23:45 AM »

You can put a plastic freezing bag or cellophane paper on the tray instead of oiling it so that the cubes does not stick to the tray during the first freezing operation.

Or use parchment paper  or baking liners such as silpats.  Of course even freezing this way fot the shortest of time will cause the fruit to absorb freezer oders and some level of ice crystallization  and/or freezer burn.

the quality of the fruit will remain at its highest if using a fruit sealer system.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »
I just got a food sealing system, so will try it next summer.

Meanwhile, I have found it easy to use the mango pieces, frozen in a big lump, in regular zipper lock plastic bags.  The mango doesn't seem to freeze that hard, maybe due to sugar content? So it's easy to slice the lump into smaller pieces for the blender or whatever.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
to get frozen mango out of the plastic freezer bags, instead of the microwave i rinse the bag under the hot water tap in the kitchen sink for twenty or thirty seconds.

Hi treefrog,
I just opened another sandwich bag of frozen mango slices using just the plain water under the sink for about 20 seconds letting  it loosen from the bag and then being poured into a bowl. I then microwaved for about 2 and 1/2 minutes opened the microwave and separated the slices still partially frozen with a spoon, then reinserted back in microwave for about 1 minute and 20 seconds.

I was surprised how quickly it thawed and probably due to the high sugar content and less hard freezing than frozen fish filets etc.

Thanks, no more bag taste.

This bag was Keitt mango nearing full ripeness with nice orange color. It tastes like a bowl of peaches warmed up. Yummy  :P  :P

I found I do not like the yellow less ripe pieces frozen near as much as the tartness seems to be intensified when frozen and thawed. But, the totally ripe orange sweet pieces are great frozen, even if orange and mushy before freezing they thaw perfectly sweet in my opinion tasting like peaches.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »

Hi treefrog,
I just opened another sandwich bag of frozen mango slices using just the plain water under the sink for about 20 seconds letting  it loosen from the bag and then being poured into a bowl. I then microwaved for about 2 and 1/2 minutes opened the microwave and separated the slices still partially frozen with a spoon, then reinserted back in microwave for about 1 minute and 20 seconds.

I was surprised how quickly it thawed and probably due to the high sugar content and less hard freezing than frozen fish filets etc.

This bag was Keitt mango nearing full ripeness with nice orange color. It tastes like a bowl of peaches warmed up. Yummy  :P  :P

I found I do not like the yellow less ripe pieces frozen near as much as the tartness seems to be intensified when frozen and thawed. But, the totally ripe orange sweet pieces are great frozen, even if orange and mushy before freezing they thaw perfectly sweet in my opinion tasting like peaches.

Im sure your thawing method works but just the thought of nuking frozen fruit seems unappetizing imo.  Am curious however which plastic bags you use that are microwave safe?  Thanks
- Marley

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »

Hi treefrog,

Im sure your thawing method works but just the thought of nuking frozen fruit seems unappetizing imo.  Am curious however which plastic bags you use that are microwave safe?  Thanks

Answer: But I really don't remember.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6qw_yeo6o

Here is Ziploc however giving their opinion for you off google search : https://ziploc.com/en/products/bags/specialty/zipn-steam-cooking-bags
https://ziploc.com/en/products/bags/slider/slider-storage-bags-quart-medium

In the quote that you referenced, I said I am now using treefrog's method of putting the frozen mango under water for less than a minute, then sliding the mango into a bowl without putting the bag in the microwave, then heating for 2 minutes 30 seconds, then loosening mango slices with a spoon that may still be partially frozen, then sticking back in the microwave (leave the spoon in the sink) for 1 minute 20 seconds.

Eating warmed microwaved thawed sweet mango is a great taste to me.  :P

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Can't wait to try a Phoenix. Who is going to have it this year?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:09 PM »
To defrost, I just put a bag of frozen mango in the refrigerator the night before.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
I had friends over that had not tried more than store mango.

There was one bag with half a frozen Edward in the freezer among others.

Got it out and handed out frozen chunks

It was great and we have now two more mango fans

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
Just curious, Has any of the people who like frozen mango actually tried the same mango slices, chunks, etc. actually warmed to 120  degrees Fahrenheit? 

I have tried eating frozen cut off slices formed to ice cubes etc. The result was a less flavorful, non aromatic, frozen tundra experience.

Have you tried microwaving yours to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and mixing then tasting your frozen chunks converted to a warm mango slurry?

I and my family have tried our mangos as both frozen and warmed slurry. None of my four testers thought the frozen was better. All said the flavor frozen was less intense. All said the smell was almost nonexistent in the frozen slices.  All of my testers thought the warmed slurry was much better, significantly sweeter, and very aromatic.   :P

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:18:49 AM by palmcity »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk