Author Topic: No Mango Blooms...  (Read 9049 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: No Mango Blooms...
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
Check out the fruit set on my Edgar :-). This thing goes to town when it fruits.

What a sight.
Do you think i can multigraft Edgar to Edward? Are the growth habits similar?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
I would say yes.

What a sight.
Do you think i can multigraft Edgar to Edward? Are the growth habits similar?
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:23:40 PM »
This cold snap looks a lot more promisbig than the last couple, which were not really sufficient to stimulate a full bloom.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
I can't figure out why there's been so little bloom in our area. I guess Dec might have been warmer than usual.

Here's an informative article on mango bloom. They indicate that temps in the mid 60's are sufficient to induce bloom in some cultivars. I think the key here might be a trend of several weeks of temps in the mid to low 60's.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_54-60.pdf

This cold snap looks a lot more promisbig than the last couple, which were not really sufficient to stimulate a full bloom.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
The past cold snaps have been pretty short in duration.   Tbis one seems to have the cooler evenings lasting for a longer stretch, and with very low precipitation percentages, that it will hopefully be enough to rattle the blooms from the trees' dormancy.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
I can't figure out why there's been so little bloom in our area. I guess Dec might have been warmer than usual.

Here's an informative article on mango bloom. They indicate that temps in the mid 60's are sufficient to induce bloom in some cultivars. I think the key here might be a trend of several weeks of temps in the mid to low 60's.

I am not in Florida at the moment, but I think you guys have not had a "dry" winter,  rain would contribute to delay in flowering.   our winter over here, has been very wet,  since I got back Dec 15th,  we have had at least a sprinkle daily,  only a few days that have not rained.   but the good news, is that nights have been getting down into the mid 60s for about 3 weeks.  and my Nam Doc Mai, and Lancetilla have flowered.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »

For some more sensitive cultivars, nighttime temps in the 60s coupled with dry weather are enough to stimulate full blooms. This is the case with most of the ultra-early maturing cultivars including Edward, Rosa, Dwarf Hawaiian and Rosigold. Most of my Edward trees had a large , majority-canopy bloom during December for example. I have other varieties as well that had full early blooms with minimal stimulus.

However in my experience most cultivars require more than this to achieve full concerted blooms. I would say 10-14 consecutive nights of temps in the low-60s/50s, or below, will trigger a "universal" bloom where all the trees bloom completely and at the same time.

This link discusses a couple studies:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/51427114_fig1_Fig-2-Floral-induction-in-mango-occurs-in-response-to-cool-temperatures-perceived-by

Our temps in December were well above average for the most part. I believe rainfall was too. This confuses the trees and I had a number that flushed some vegetative growth as a consequence. We had a number of days with highs in the 80s/lows in the 70s. Way above historical seasonal averages for the area.

Fortunately due to location and a large number of big,mature trees and a wide mix of varieties, I'll have at least a small spring crop, followed by a regular primary one in summer.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
Good info. Thanks. My trees had the same reaction.

Humorously, the article you linked to contradicts the one I linked to as regards drought stress helping to induce bloom. Here's an excerpt from the HI article:

Environmental conditions such as water stress, chilling temperatures, and possibly daylength have been suggested to provide the conditions necessary to induce flowering of mango. We have examined water stress (lack of water) in detail but have found no link of flowering to water relations. We have found the same lack of correlation of flowering with daylength. Chilling temperature, on the other hand, definitely has an impact. The threshold temperature to induce flowering of 'Tommy Atkins' appears to be about 65°F. Chilling temperatures need only to occur at night. Day temperatures are not so critical. Other cultivars likely have different thresholds of induction. At present, we feel that chilling temperature stimulates production of the putative florigenic promoter.

For some more sensitive cultivars, nighttime temps in the 60s coupled with dry weather are enough to stimulate full blooms. This is the case with most of the ultra-early maturing cultivars including Edward, Rosa, Dwarf Hawaiian and Rosigold. Most of my Edward trees had a large , majority-canopy bloom during December for example. I have other varieties as well that had full early blooms with minimal stimulus.

However in my experience most cultivars require more than this to achieve full concerted blooms. I would say 10-14 consecutive nights of temps in the low-60s/50s, or below, will trigger a "universal" bloom where all the trees bloom completely and at the same time.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/51427114_fig1_Fig-2-Floral-induction-in-mango-occurs-in-response-to-cool-temperatures-perceived-by

Our temps in December were well above average for the most part. I believe rainfall was too. This confuses the trees and I had a number that flushed some vegetative growth as a consequence. We had a number of days with highs in the 80s/lows in the 70s. Way above historical seasonal averages for the area.

Fortunately due to location and a large number of big,mature trees and a wide mix of varieties, I'll have at least a small spring crop, followed by a regular primary one in summer.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »

Humorously, the article you linked to contradicts the one I linked to as regards drought stress helping to induce bloom. Here's an excerpt from the HI article:

Environmental conditions such as water stress, chilling temperatures, and possibly daylength have been suggested to provide the conditions necessary to induce flowering of mango. We have examined water stress (lack of water) in detail but have found no link of flowering to water relations. We have found the same lack of correlation of flowering with daylength. Chilling temperature, on the other hand, definitely has an impact. The threshold temperature to induce flowering of 'Tommy Atkins' appears to be about 65°F. Chilling temperatures need only to occur at night. Day temperatures are not so critical. Other cultivars likely have different thresholds of induction. At present, we feel that chilling temperature stimulates production of the putative florigenic promoter.

I don't think there can be much doubt that dry conditions are a contributing factor for bloom with a lot of cultivars. It's why some SE Asian varieties will sometimes throw off-season bloom in August here when the temperature doesn't even drop below 70 once.

The results of these studies likely vary considerably due to locale and the wide variation of behavior between cultivars.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »

I don't think there can be much doubt that dry conditions are a contributing factor for bloom with a lot of cultivars. It's why some SE Asian varieties will sometimes throw off-season bloom in August here when the temperature doesn't even drop below 70 once.

The results of these studies likely vary considerably due to locale and the wide variation of behavior between cultivars.

I have to agree with this,  mangoes are grown all over the Islands, and in some places you are lucky if temps get below 70 on a rare occasion.   there must be another factor involved besides chill and rain.  but local varieties seem to bloom when they are supposed to no matter what.  rain, drought, wet .   I know Keitt needs farmer assistance to synchronize blooms, if they don't, blooms will be all over the place on the calendar, even on the same farm.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
Usually yes. The key to good flowering is getting the tree to "calm down" and lie dormant for a couple of months. Pruning induces a heavy growth response.

At my old house the trees are blooming, probably because I did not prune them knowing I was going to move

Does heavy pruning reduce flowering? I thought I was the opposite

I think I chopped my pickering back in September-October and it's pushing vegetative growth...  Is that a sign that it might not flower this year or maybe it's too early to tell for my area?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
Usually yes. The key to good flowering is getting the tree to "calm down" and lie dormant for a couple of months. Pruning induces a heavy growth response.

At my old house the trees are blooming, probably because I did not prune them knowing I was going to move

Does heavy pruning reduce flowering? I thought I was the opposite

I think I chopped my pickering back in September-October and it's pushing vegetative growth...  Is that a sign that it might not flower this year or maybe it's too early to tell for my area?

Not knowing how big it is/was however my guess it was on the younger and smaller size...and if you just cut it back September/October timeframe, I would not let it hold fruit even if it tried to bloom and set.  The branches would be too weak and young to hold fruit without causing damage.  Let it flush, fo through 2017 flushing and getting better established and then play it by ear next year.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
Sept / Oct is pretty late to prune a mango tree. You want to do it right as you're picking the tail end of the harvest, which is when the tree naturally pushes new growth and gives just enough time for growth to harden and go dormant for winter bloom.

Today's forecast shows lows dipping into the high 40's for 33321 within the next 10 days. Looks like we could get a good bloom this year, albeit a little late.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk