Author Topic: My new Citrus. Giant Finger Lime, Dwarf Kaffir Lime & Dwarf Thorn-less K. Lime  (Read 7002 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
For every one's information.
I just got 3 citrus from Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery
1  Giant Finger Line  $20.00
2. Dwarf Kaffir Lime  $30.00
3. Dwarf Thorn less Key lime.  $30.00 I specially like this one because I can grow it in my patios with out concern that one of my grand kids will poke an eye.

Shipping was $20.00 for the 3 trees.

They are the nicest, cleanest, healthiest trees I have gotten in the mail. Communication with Anna was great. I order Monday I got the plants today Thursday.  They came in Citri-Pots nice roots, clean thick trunks. I feel that after hearing some many mail order horror stories, Is good to share a good one

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:16:10 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: My new Citrus. Giant Finger Lime, Dwarf Kaffir Lime
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
let me know how your giant fingerlime performs.

I got a seedling that grew like a weed!  from 12inch to 5 ft in one year.

I hear they appreciate container culture.

good luck with your beautiful trees
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »
While I commonly see places call certain citrus dwarfs, I really am skeptical as to this being true of grafted trees ("bush" versions which are from cuttings do tend to grow smaller/bushier/more compact as they are not a tree form).  The other thing that bothers me in the picture are the sizes of the leaves of the key lime.  They do not look right for a key lime.  Key lime leaves are narrower and some to more of a point.  I will show you what I mean on Saturday.  Hopefully, the leaves of the key lime in the picture you posted is distorted somewhat.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
While I commonly see places call certain citrus dwarfs, I really am skeptical as to this being true of grafted trees ("bush" versions which are from cuttings do tend to grow smaller/bushier/more compact as they are not a tree form).  The other thing that bothers me in the picture are the sizes of the leaves of the key lime.  They do not look right for a key lime.  Key lime leaves are narrower and some to more of a point.  I will show you what I mean on Saturday.  Hopefully, the leaves of the key lime in the picture you posted is distorted somewhat.
Rob, may be because this is thorn-less is different. Here are close ups.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
Wow, that FL is vicious! Nice and green though.
Adam - there are strains which are vigorous and can put on 6ft per year in full sun in rubbishy rocky soil. In my experience they have not been the better quality types, but you may have hit the jackpot  ;)
Bullie - why are you sceptical of grafted citrus being dwarf? People here go nuts for citrus on Flying Dragon, which dwarfs citrus by around half.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
Adam - there are strains which are vigorous and can put on 6ft per year in full sun in rubbishy rocky soil. In my experience they have not been the better quality types, but you may have hit the jackpot  ;)
Bullie - why are you sceptical of grafted citrus being dwarf? People here go nuts for citrus on Flying Dragon, which dwarfs citrus by around half.
My skepticism is that here, the main commercial rootstock used is Swingle not Flying Dragon.  I have personally seen people buy citrus that was classified as dwarf and lo and behold, ten feet plus later...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »
I have a grafted finger lime (i posted a picture of it a few months back) on Swingle.  It has grown but not at any great speed, almost a slow bushy growth.  It has produced about a half dozen fruit so far this year (with a bunch of baby fruit being blown off in storms earlier this spring and early summer), unfortunately it is the green type.  Taste is not bad but I wish it was one of the better varieties.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Congrats on your new citrus trees!  :)
Alexi

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »
My skepticism is that here, the main commercial rootstock used is Swingle not Flying Dragon.  I have personally seen people buy citrus that was classified as dwarf and lo and behold, ten feet plus later...

I just confirmed with Anna at The Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery that they used Flying Dragon root stock on the thorn-less Key lime
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

I just confirmed with Anna at The Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery that they used Flying Dragon root stock on the thorn-less Key lime
Which would make it different than the larger growing specimens I have seen that are on Swingle.  Did you ask if the Kaffir is on FD also?  Excalibur just got some Yuzu in that I will be bringing home a specimen of...I would love for it to be on SFD but based on the citrus grower it came from, I would put my money on it being Swingle..
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
thanks bmc,

I was affraid of this!
my slower growing,  finger lime, was much nicer tasting than the one i got from record buck!

it wasn't as bitter...it was more elongate, and was about the size of a baby pickle.  I really love those kind.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

Which would make it different than the larger growing specimens I have seen that are on Swingle.  Did you ask if the Kaffir is on FD also?  Excalibur just got some Yuzu in that I will be bringing home a specimen of...I would love for it to be on SFD but based on the citrus grower it came from, I would put my money on it being Swingle..

The Thorn-less Key lime and the Kaffir Line are both on Flying Dragon. The Giant Finger lime is on a root stock called X-639.  It is a Cleopatra mandarin crossed with a trifoliate.  This tree can get fairly large (15+ feet).

The foliage of the key limes is a bit different from the thorn Key Lime:
"My understanding is that Thorn-less Key Limes were originally propagated from a limb sport that grew on a regular key lime tree that just was thorn-less for some reason.  After continuing to propagate from that limb, the resulting trees continued to be thorn-less".

Both have incredible root systems. See Pictures.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
let me know how your giant fingerlime performs.

I got a seedling that grew like a weed!  from 12inch to 5 ft in one year.

I hear they appreciate container culture.

good luck with your beautiful trees

Thank you.
The finger Lime went in the ground. The other two dwarf are in 15 gal  ornamental cement pots they get about 4-5 hours of sun a day. Lets see how the perform.

***mod edit: fixed quote***
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:12:23 PM by Tim »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
This is the explanation I got from Anne of Brite Leave Nursery regarding what is a Giant Finger Lime. Those interested in Citrus may find it useful.

Carlos,
The Giant Finger Lime is “new”.  I have 2 trees that I use as my budwood source.  These trees were obtained through the Florida Department of Agriculture’s budwood facility as Australian Finger Limes.  My trees started fruiting this year and the fruit did not look like it should.  So, I contacted the state to research the issue.  It turns out that the trees they had supplied me with were a bud sport off of an Australian Finger Lime.  They were unaware of the difference until somebody’s tree produced fruit.  Faced with many nurseries having propagated trees with this budwood, they decided to give it a new name.  The fruit inside looks just like all the finger limes that I have seen.  The outside shape is all that is different.  The answer from the state is that if you received budwood from them prior to 3/27/09 then the tree is Australian Finger Lime, but if the budwood was after 3/27/09 then it is this new lime that they have now named “Giant Finger Lime”.  Hence my description on the website as being similar.

I am attaching a picture of the fruit so you can see what the new fruit will look like.  The trees look identical as far as I know because no one suspected until I found the fruit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Anna

Nate and Anna Jameson
Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery, LLC
480 CR 416 South
Lake Panasoffkee, FL 33538
352-793-6861 office
352-793-3674 fax
www.briteleaf.com

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Interesting. A budsport of a true finger lime producing what appear to be hybrid caviar limes. I've not heard of this before.
The season will be upon us very soon and in late December I should have a few weeks when I can hit the road and show off a few different types of finger limes.