Author Topic: Better Then I Ever Hoped For  (Read 2354 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Better Then I Ever Hoped For
« on: September 29, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
About two years ago Laaz recommended that I should try using Miracle Grow Garden Soil (MGGS).  Therefore, I potted up a New Zealand Lemonade, Saint Michael Paper Rind Orange, Meiwa Kumquat and a Bird of Paradise, all in 3-gallon containers using the medium.  Now over this week, two year later, I transplanted all of them into 13 gallon Air Root Pruning containers.  All I can say is AMAZING.  After two years growing in the 3 gallon containers the MGGS hardy degrade at all still remaining within 1/2 inch of the container's rim.  I transplanted the tree by simply lifting each plant up by its trunk with one hand, and  knocking the old containers off with the other.  As the trees were removed, each root ball remained completely in contact, not one granule of medium fell loose.  Stunningly the medium look about as fresh and loose as it did on the day that I potted them up two years ago.  All I had to do was place the plants into their new homes.  Cutting open a new bag of MGGS and filling in 5 inches of new medium to the bottom of each container, I simply placed the trees in their new spot, and filled in around the root-ball.  After soaking each tree in a large vat for several hours, they were replaced back in the greenhouse. To top it all off I pulled 5 old pineapple plants that had already fruited, planning  to toss them on the compost pile, but the MGGS medium that they had grown in was in such good shape, I reused it to pot up some newly rooted pineapple slips I had.   It is simply amazing how well MGGS still supplied each tree with the good drainage, excellent root zone oxygen after two years, as it did in the beginning.  Just simply amazing. - Millet
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:59:44 PM by Millet »

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Better Then I Ever Hoped For
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:35:07 AM »
That's good to hear Millet.  Others report good results too.  I wonder if it is different in different parts of the country.  I bought a few bags to try, but it was so dense and compacted quickly.  I finally just added what I had left to fill in low spots in my garden and lawn.  I got the garden soil and not the potting soil.  Has anyone in the NJ area tried it with good results?  I even tried adding perlite and it still compacted quickly. 
Cory

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
cory I think there is a Miracle Grow Garden Soil that the bag states something like water retention, or water holding, anyway something to do with water. I'm not sure of the terminology.  I don't use it.  I purchase the one in the yellow and green bag with pictures of flowers on it. - Millet

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
Millet I have the yellow and green garden soil bag but the soil inside does not seem to be the same as you have.  It is very fine grained and dense and contains no bark.  It is very heavy and black.  More like a black clay.  It doesn't drain well at all.  It must be from a different source. 

Cory

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
Cory send a Email to Miracle Grow and ask them about your concerns. Let us know what they answered.-  Millet

lorewren

• Philadelphia, PA z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »
The MG garden soil near me (Philadelphia) looks like straight compost.  It is black and dense.  I was a little leery about using it as Millet suggested, but I tried anyway (added 1/4 perlite) this spring.  Most of the plants I used it on were newly ordered, and took a beating with transplant shock.  But have since put on new growth, and some really nice root growth.  So I'd have to say Go for it!

It would still be nice to know if there's regional differences in the makeup of the soil.  Let us know if you find out Cory.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »
Miracle grow Garden Soil comes-whetted.  When I open up a bag it is dark in color.  If you look at it you can see pieces of small wood particles.  Research has long known that the standard for the volume of air in the root zone of container plants is 20 to 25 percent.  Therefore the "solid" portion should be 75 to 80 percent.  Actually not solid, as the air porosity is spred throughout the medium, or should be.  In my opinion for good root health mixes like a gritty type mix has an air porosity way out of proportion.   I don't know for sure, but my guess is that MGGS has the same formulation throughout the country. - Millet
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:10:35 AM by Millet »

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 08:51:20 PM »
Thanks Millet.  I will have to ask them.
Cory

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk