Author Topic: What to do with a fruiting pineapple?  (Read 2013 times)

Herman

• View Profile
What to do with a fruiting pineapple?
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »

So in 2008 I had planted a pineapple top that I got from the nearby grocery store, and it grew pretty well for a few years.  Then it stopped growing and started turning brown, so I literally stopped feeding and watering it.  It had been sitting on my balcony for nearly 3 years like that under some tree, gathering dust and whatever fell from the tree.

A few months ago, I decided to clean it up and fed it some food and water.  Today, I see what looks to be a start of a fruit at its center:

Anyway, I'm pretty excited if it is fruiting, and wanted to know what I should be feeding it to get a good fruit.

Thanks!

Herman

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a fruiting pineapple?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »
No need to fertilize it after it begins to flower. The fertilization should be done before flowering. The only thing you need to do now is keep it watered and let it fully ripen on the plant. It will likely be a small fruit so you could afford to let it fully ripen. A large fruit should not be allowed to fully ripen because often the bottom portions will be over ripe since it ripens from bottom to top.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
Herman,
 like Murahilin said, the horse may have already bolted, but you could try epsom salts. It works well in sweetening up a number of other fruits (when applied in advance of fruiting), so you could try that. The only otehr thing you need to do is sit back and wait and enjoy your pineapple!

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions!