Author Topic: I need more guavas in my life.  (Read 8840 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: I need more guavas in my life.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »
Have Thai guava very big sir, picture india has same one now. Very nice one and 1 kilo.

Name of variety?

Look how big, i think this is pensithong...no bad ass smell, very nice and crispy/sweet.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
Have Thai guava very big sir, picture india has same one now. Very nice one and 1 kilo.

Name of variety?

Look how big, i think this is pensithong...no bad ass smell, very nice and crispy/sweet.

Guava is eaten two ways, crunchy when they are ripe but not soft, cut it, sprinkler some salt and red chill, squeeze lemon, and enjoy. I like it this way, no smell at all.

Now lot of folks pick when its soft and overipe on the tree or over the counter, when it turns really soft, it will have very strong smell.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
I like the smell of guava, it's very tropical and intoxicating, but even though I've tried to like it, I just don't really like eating the fruit. It's either too hard and astringent if not ripe enough, or when it is fully ripe it starts taking on a more putrid smell that is just somewhat offputting to me.

But if something like a Reisling varietal wine is said to take on the flavor of guava, that's a very positive thing. The fragrance is almost floral and edible at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:53:55 PM by SoCal2warm »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 03:19:20 AM »
I like the smell of guava, it's very tropical and intoxicating, but even though I've tried to like it, I just don't really like eating the fruit. It's either too hard and astringent if not ripe enough, or when it is fully ripe it starts taking on a more putrid smell that is just somewhat offputting to me.

But if something like a Reisling varietal wine is said to take on the flavor of guava, that's a very positive thing. The fragrance is almost floral and edible at the same time.

Have you tried Egyptian Guava? I have been eating it pretty much exclusively all my life. It's never astringent, has an amazing smell, and sweet when soft. Also, it makes an amazing juiceز

A popular recipe is Egyptian Guava with milk and sugar, with some people adding dates instead of the sugar (best to use special variety of dates called Sukkari or Sugar dates).
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
The is intoxicating and too strong. I’ve trialed over 25 guavas and after the dust cleared I’m left w three

Jalisco red
Dolores seedless red
Thai cream

In fact my Jalisco’s are starting to ripen it’s the sweet most flavorful guava I’ve ever had w brix in 22-24 range

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
What about para guava Psidium acutangulum?  How does it compare to cas guava?
Descriptions for both are very similar.  Usually people say it's sour, but very tasty and good for juice.

Cas guava, Psidium friedrichsthalianum.  Best flavor of any guava I have tasted.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
Harvested 2 "Peruvian" guavas from my tree for the first time.  Light pink white flesh with a size an XL egg.  Surprisingly sweet. I'd estimate brix to be about 12-13. Ripening fruit gets a scorched light brown coloration that ascends the yellow fruit from the base to the equator. Ripe skin was thin and edible. Emerged unscathed from the freeze last year in 9B.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
I purchased what I thought was a ruby supreme guava in a 15 gallon pot last winter, had no leaves do to our cold winter but was surprised it wasn’t. Went back to my local nursery and ate one with him. He told me it was some “rare” apple guava. It does taste like a crisp apple if picked before its to ripe.

Can’t find much info on it. Is this considered a good or rare guava?

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »
roadway north of the driveway.  Might even have fruit to try on or under the tree (fruit flies leave it alone so no worms on the fruit from the ground).  It has an extremely tropical flavor like no other guava.  It is however very tart but truly delicious.
Rob.. I've tasted this fruit from this tree, is that tree being propagated at Excalibur..

How did you find the taste of cas guava? Can you please give some details?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk