Author Topic: Some photos of plants, fruits and flowers from my farm  (Read 2974 times)

dreamfrutas

• Let´s Trade!
    • View Profile
Some photos of plants, fruits and flowers from my farm
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »
Too many photos to post of 2017 photos... will continue...

Native Raspberry, Rubus rosifolius

Thai Basil

Giant Cacao, ready to be planted

Corno di Toro Rosso

Cosmos sulphureus

Runner Bean

Randia formosa

Mulberry

dreamfrutas

• Let´s Trade!
    • View Profile
Re: Some photos of plants, fruits and flowers from my farm
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:24:06 AM »

Swartzia langsdorffii fruits

Buriti Palm fruits

Bazooka Pepper

Inga bullata Flowers

Round Zucchini

White Mulberry

Gondo

Will continue....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:38:52 AM by dreamfrutas »

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Nice sir, would love to know more!

dreamfrutas

• Let´s Trade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
I will try... I am having problems to upload photos to the forum...

Canavalia gladiata, Sword beans

Ipomoeas

Ora Pro Nobis, Pereskia aculeata

Giant Red Cacao

Guajilote

Black Pearl Pepper
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:26:35 PM by dreamfrutas »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:02:59 PM »
Funny, I just ran into Swartzias for the first time today, and a search revealed this thread which I'd already seen but somehow never noticed before!

Swarzias are fascinating-looking plants:

The wood is amazing too.

Most seem to be considered medicinal, too, and they're nitrogen fixers.

I searched your species (Swartzia langsdorffii) and found very little about it (PFAF doesn't know it's edible).  I found one page selling seeds - it translated to:

Also called MANIPOYBA, Chicken Lick, Monkey Pacová, White Jacaranda and Banana Pau. The pulp cooked in a little water and lightly sweetened is with taste that resembles a mixture of "papaya with orange". The tree is of

magnificent beauty, it provides good shade, it is still melífera and very ornamental with, beautiful flowers. R $ 49

What's your experience with it?  I also found another Swartzia species that PFAF says is edible (Swartzia simplex), but again, very little about it.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:04:38 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
Just wanted to add an addendum to this, having recently learned more about this fruit.  The comments section here is very useful

http://www.caliandradocerrado.com.br/2011/11/banha-de-galinha-uma-fruta-do-bioma.html

Its taste reviews are generally pretty good, although the smell is said to be bad; the fruit is sweet and cloying. But - important detail - the fruit is apparently also well known to cause nausea, especially when any significant quantity is eaten. Probably best to avoid.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »
Do you have seeds for the giant red cacao
Mike

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »
Funny, I just ran into Swartzias for the first time today, and a search revealed this thread which I'd already seen but somehow never noticed before!

Swarzias are fascinating-looking plants:

The wood is amazing too.

Most seem to be considered medicinal, too, and they're nitrogen fixers.

I searched your species (Swartzia langsdorffii) and found very little about it (PFAF doesn't know it's edible).  I found one page selling seeds - it translated to:

Also called MANIPOYBA, Chicken Lick, Monkey Pacová, White Jacaranda and Banana Pau. The pulp cooked in a little water and lightly sweetened is with taste that resembles a mixture of "papaya with orange". The tree is of

magnificent beauty, it provides good shade, it is still melífera and very ornamental with, beautiful flowers. R $ 49

What's your experience with it?  I also found another Swartzia species that PFAF says is edible (Swartzia simplex), but again, very little about it.
Manny of these are edible just that they are undocumented and the trees got rare ,manny endangered or extinct.
The wood looks like rosewoods to wich they are related thogh its not that high quality as rosewoods.
The wood is compared to the non related  Ebony( diospyros) but its a mistake because the egyptians used to call ebony a rosewood( d melanoxillon) not a diospyros.
Its sad that Schwartzias will have the same fate of the rosewoods and that we will not even get to know their wonderfull looking fruits.
Because the trees become rare,the new generations of the indigenous people that ate them will not have the chance to use these fruits and thousands of years of knowledge from their tribes about these fruits will be lost thanks to logging.