Author Topic: Rootstock reproduction  (Read 2322 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Rootstock reproduction
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
Last year one of my graft died. I kept the rootstock to regraft it.
This year, to my surprise, the rootstock flowered. I have been very surprised because the rootstock is very young (no more than a feet hig and pencil thin). Now, to me is obvius that the rootstock was just physically young, but physiologically adult. How this can be possible? Do they reproduce rootstock with cutting? Micropropagation?

Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Rootstock reproduction
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
The stress of losing a lot of growth can often cause early flowering on a lot of plants; they feel as though they are going to die and need to reproduce earlier.  Micro-propagation usually doesn't decrease time for flowering, as far as I know.  Techniques like girdling or heavy pruning can often cause plants to bloom sooner than they normally would though; that is basically what happened with your rootstock.  It may not be big enough to hold fruit to maturity yet, but it is trying to reproduce!

Kevin

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
Usually rootstock is produced from seed. Even though roostock was physiologically young it's possible that hormones from more mature part of the plant, the scion wood, passed into the rootstock, tricking it into acting as if mature. That is just my guess as in some plants grafting on a mature piece of scion wood can make the whole plant act as if mature, that is flower.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
Usually rootstock is produced from seed. Even though roostock was physiologically young it's possible that hormones from more mature part of the plant, the scion wood, passed into the rootstock, tricking it into acting as if mature. That is just my guess as in some plants grafting on a mature piece of scion wood can make the whole plant act as if mature, that is flower.

My carrie seedling has been pruned pretty heavily from all the times I've tried to graft it. It's growing now, but lets see if it blooms next season or sooner than if I would have left it alone. I took one of it's small branches that had a swollen bud and grafted it onto a mature glenn mango branch to see if I can taste this carrie seedling mango sooner. The scion is still green and it's been a week and a half ago since I grafted it onto the glenn branch. It even looks like it's beginning to grow a bit. By grafting onto a mature mango tree, I'm hoping that it sends the seedling scion the "message" to bloom when the glenn mango tree blooms. I'll make a thread about this when I know 100 percent for sure that my graft is a success and post some pics.
Alexi

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
Did the fruits develop Pancrazio?

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
No, i cutted the inflorescence shortly after the picture. The plant was too small to have any actual fruit growt, and i needed a rootstock.
Right now it is grafted with a Glenn.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.