Author Topic: Is there any fruit that grows in Hawaii that won't grow in Puerto Rico?  (Read 5773 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any fruit that grows in Hawaii that won't grow in Puerto Rico?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
Some species do like the winter/spring dry period to stimulate flowering and PR may be preferable that parts of Hawaii that get more consistent rain at that time of the year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »
As a recent transplant from Arizona to Hawaii I miss living in a diverse whole native ecosystem that I imagine PR and CR have in abundance. What I don’t miss, and think is worth the extra Hawaiian expense, are all the plants and critters with their spines, thorns, fangs and poison at the ready. Pushing through tall grass here without fear is surreal.
PR is very densely populated, i think one of most densely populated places in USA. PR is about same size as island of Hawaii, but has 3.5 million people compared to our 150 thousand population, so more than 20x more people, more highways, more housing, buildings. I would not say their ecosystem is in tact.
Oscar

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 11:51:47 PM »
@happyhana. The B52s are scary when they buzz by you or bounce off your head!

Yeah, I miss buying fresh lychee in Hilo. Mango festivals etc. Time to visit my siblings again when covids over.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 12:29:28 AM »
PR is very densely populated, i think one of most densely populated places in USA. PR is about same size as island of Hawaii, but has 3.5 million people compared to our 150 thousand population, so more than 20x more people, more highways, more housing, buildings. I would not say their ecosystem is in tact.
Miami-Dade and Broward counties in South Florida are more densely populated than PR, and they're still more than 50% Everglades (virtually uninhabited).  And Oahu is even more densely populated.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 01:12:13 AM »
The area that I live in has the largest concentration of Puerto Ricans other than New York or Puerto Rico. The local news reports that Puerto Rico has suffered A series of unfortunate events. Its infrastructure is a Train wreck and will take over 10 years to rebuild it. It would probably only take a couple years anywhere else.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:14:10 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
Yes , Hawaii is much too expensive , “Don’t do it”.
3 acres for $20k you say? No way ? Okay....

But if he's just waiting to hit the lottery....Anyway, it's an interesting conversation. The overall impression we get about Hawaii these days is that it's prohibitively expensive to locate there for anyone other than the wealthiest 1%.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
Hawaii hands down has better Avocado cultivars than California.
A tasting at a neutral site like Oregon, Vancouver or New York where all the boutique cultivars from CA & Hawaii could be sampled side by side by top chefs and Avocado farmers would be something the world is ready for.
I’m a life long CA resident and my favorite CA Avocado’s are Jan Boyce, Reed, and Gillogoly.
I think Sharwil, Ota and a couple other lesser known Kona Avocado’s are better, tastier, better texture. I can eat them by themselves sliced which I do not enjoy so much with CA avocado.
Trying to find good named Avocado’s in Hawaii can be a needle in a haystack aka grower direct so unfortunately the store bought experience is not up to par with buying CA Hass in season in a store in CA.

Brad’s CA grown Sharwil is an exceptional fruit , I’m excited to see how his other Hawaiian cultivar’s do in SD county.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »
Hawaii hands down has better Avocado cultivars than California.
A tasting at a neutral site like Oregon, Vancouver or New York where all the boutique cultivars from CA & Hawaii could be sampled side by side by top chefs and Avocado farmers would be something the world is ready for.
I’m a life long CA resident and my favorite CA Avocado’s are Jan Boyce, Reed, and Gillogoly.
I think Sharwil, Ota and a couple other lesser known Kona Avocado’s are better, tastier, better texture. I can eat them by themselves sliced which I do not enjoy so much with CA avocado.
Trying to find good named Avocado’s in Hawaii can be a needle in a haystack aka grower direct so unfortunately the store bought experience is not up to par with buying CA Hass in season in a store in CA.

Brad’s CA grown Sharwil is an exceptional fruit , I’m excited to see how his other Hawaiian cultivar’s do in SD county.
Right, except for the part about the good avocados being hard to find in Hawaii. You don't go to a supermarket! You go to a farmer's market. Real problem is that the cultivars are never labeled. You have to know what to look for.
In all fairness to California avocados, there are some excellent ones there also. It's just that what is 99% available are Hass. It's the obsession with Haas that is the problem. The really good cultivars are much harder to find in California than in Hawaii. I've lived very long periods of time in both places...unlike most commenting on this.
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
Oscar,  the Avocado’s at the farmers markets in Hawaii are unlabeled, not stem cut , and often stolen.
I’ve never seen anything labeled aside from “butter” , so yeah if you know how to ID cultivars based on experience you might be able to know what your getting more than the re-seller.
You can get good unlabeled Avo’s , but I don’t think Ota, Nishikawa, bumpy creamy or others are making it to any market as named varieties. Theres so many good ones. I’m hopeful the Avo festival can represent a wide selection for a tasting 1 year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 06:09:28 PM »
Oscar,  the Avocado’s at the farmers markets in Hawaii are unlabeled, not stem cut , and often stolen.
I’ve never seen anything labeled aside from “butter” , so yeah if you know how to ID cultivars based on experience you might be able to know what your getting more than the re-seller.
You can get good unlabeled Avo’s , but I don’t think Ota, Nishikawa, bumpy creamy or others are making it to any market as named varieties. Theres so many good ones. I’m hopeful the Avo festival can represent a wide selection for a tasting 1 year.
Yes, and this is a problem for all fruits, not just avocados. Almost nobody labels cultivars of mango or lychee either. Vendors and buyers need to get better educated. Yes there is a big problem of theft right now, and i guess that's going to get worse, with the economic downturn.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
They are routinely labelled even in the supermarkets here. Reed,hass,wurtz, shepard and fuerte have been labelled ;lately and sold at different prices. Luckily theft of fruit is much of an issue here.

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 02:26:03 AM »
Never been to PR.
But, Hawai'i consists of a number of islands, and has various micro climates ranging from rain forests to deserts, all  in a sub tropical climate., disregarding the snowy mountain tops. 
I think PR would show much less versatility for growing.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 03:01:05 AM »
That was kinda my point also that PR would be like a climate subset of Hawaii unless you were comparing one island.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 03:46:52 AM »
Hi guys. Puerto Rico is an archipelago. Truly tropical with some microclimate. Our avocados are among the
best. Range from watery to high oil content . Oscar I remember you. Years ago I met you in Rincón.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 09:06:44 AM »
Hawaii is an archipelago.  How is PR an archipelago?  How many other islands besides Vieques?
John

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »
Google it! Today "El Nuevo Día " newspaper had this title. "I am the best thing to ever happen to Puerto Rico " (Donald J." Trump ).I remember when nobody wants his "Mis Universe " and we help him. 2 years in a row

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Google it! Today "El Nuevo Día " newspaper had this title. "I am the best thing to ever happen to Puerto Rico " (Donald J." Trump ).I remember when nobody wants his "Mis Universe " and we help him. 2 years in a row
Is he?  Or is he just playing to the Puerto Rican vote?
Ok, I grant you "archipelago."  But Hawaii is 137 islands!  Una gran differencia.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:42:22 AM by johnb51 »
John

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »
Vieques, culebra municipalities and isla de mona, caja de muertos, monito,desecheo,Gilligan's island,San Juan capital and........

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
Vieques, culebra municipalities and isla de mona, caja de muertos, monito,desecheo,Gilligan's island,San Juan capital and........

Gilligan's island? Can you buy cannabis and coconut cream pie's there? If so i want to go :) Is there any charter boats that go there?

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 03:04:33 PM »
“often stolen”?!

My experience on Maui east side has been the opposite lately; boxes of free avocados can often be found at beach parks, post office and food trucks. Avocados at the local market are priced so low they’re almost free!

I suppose these trying times either bring communities together or have opposite effect. Now is a great time for those of us with productive land to help out where we can.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2020, 08:37:53 PM »
“often stolen”?!

My experience on Maui east side has been the opposite lately; boxes of free avocados can often be found at beach parks, post office and food trucks. Avocados at the local market are priced so low they’re almost free!

I suppose these trying times either bring communities together or have opposite effect. Now is a great time for those of us with productive land to help out where we can.
This is an incredible avocado year, with many of the trees completely loaded. So there is a glut of them right now, and yes many people giving avocados away here also.
Oscar

voyager

• Pahoa, HI - USDA 12a/12b
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Photo Gallery - Alaska - Hawai'i & Elsewhere
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
As a recent transplant from Arizona to Hawaii I miss living in a diverse whole native ecosystem that I imagine PR and CR have in abundance. What I don’t miss, and think is worth the extra Hawaiian expense, are all the plants and critters with their spines, thorns, fangs and poison at the ready. Pushing through tall grass here without fear is surreal.

Sounds like you've never lived in the Puna rain forest jungle.
I've been bit by a 6" centipede while working in the yard, very painful and a few weeks to fully recover.
Agreed, not many more things to worry about around here, but I now always use caution when moving through any vegetation and never walk barefoot when outside.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
Ouch! Good point. Haven’t lived in Puna, but I’ve heard about the fires ants, hidden lava tubes and semi slugs.

Centipedes here flee pretty quick, you’d get a very different reception from a 6 ft rattler!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »
Ouch! Good point. Haven’t lived in Puna, but I’ve heard about the fires ants, hidden lava tubes and semi slugs.

Centipedes here flee pretty quick, you’d get a very different reception from a 6 ft rattler!
The white men must have brought rattlers, too, along with fire ants.  No way they're indigenous!
John