Author Topic: Water Requirements for Passion Fruit?  (Read 3134 times)

dkian

• Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Water Requirements for Passion Fruit?
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
Have been watering our newly planted purple passion fruits roughly every day to every other day.  The plants seem to be happy with this sort of regimen.  What sort of watering schedule do you have your newly planted passion fruits and established fruit on?

Thanks again!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Water Requirements for Passion Fruit?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
My vine is growing quite well, and I have watered it from afar (with hose) only like 2 times per week....seems to be doing great.  Curious to see what others think.  I love passsionfruit!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
The ideal watering schedule depends on the type of soil as well as natural rainfall.   It would be valuable to learn the moisture retention capabilities of your soil and try to maintain the ideal soil moisture level.   This link contains excellent information on soil moisture:  http://soilwater.com.au/bettersoils/modules.htm

For newly transplanted plants, watering every second day is usually fine, along with shade.  After that, twice a week is fine for a loam soil if there is no rain.  Rain water is usually better than tap water because it usually is more acidic and has no chemical additives.

If watered too often, the vines may develop shallow roots that could be problematic in a drought.

Passion fruit vines are only productive for approximately two years, so plan on planting a couple every year.  They grow huge, 10 meters or more.

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
I have read they grow from cuttings...do you recommend propagating cuttings from the vine every couple years, or planting seeds/buying a new plant every other year? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

dkian

• Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »
I have read they grow from cuttings...do you recommend propagating cuttings from the vine every couple years, or planting seeds/buying a new plant every other year?

Patrick hooked the wife and I up with a cutting from a yellow passionfruit and within a few weeks it rooted and is getting growing nicely now...

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

I've had more success from seeds, though cuttings can be rooted.  Plant the seeds straight away - don't dry them. 

Climate can also influence which passion fruit variety is most productive.  In my tropical lowland wet/dry seasonal climate, the yellow passion fruit bears much heavier than purple.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
yeah...the purple possum grows/fruits best here in FL...I have heard yellow requires hand-pollinating to be productive here.  Rumor has it that there's a red one that is productive here  and coming down the pipe soon.
~Jeff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk