Author Topic: Guava wine  (Read 6393 times)

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
Guava wine
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I recently starting making wines, and Jay asked about pics and recipes.  I make wine solely from fruits that I grow.  So far, only tropicals, but on the temperate side I intend to try highbush cranberry, which is supposed to make an awesome wine.  I also have an enormous persimmon tree which is totally loaded this year.  So I expect 5-10 gal of persimmon wine as well.  Other tropicals may include pom, hibiscus, sugar apple, banana, others.

My first batch was guava.  The recipe is here: http://www.malaysiafruit.com/guava/wine.php but the link doesn't seem to be working now.  I used 4# frozen guava, a mix of 25% 'Nana' 35% lemon, 40% strawberry.  The recipe called for boiling the fruit, which I have subsequently learned to be a cause of pectin haze.  I think that is why this wine is so slow to clear.  Likely it will require fining.  The starting SG was 1.090 and it went to 0.994.  Topping off brought it back to 0.996.  Fantastic aroma, raw but decent taste, hopefully it will mature a little bit.  The color is off-putting, probably due to some oxidation of the fruit prior to making the wine; I hope it clears to a nice amber color but we'll see. 

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Guava wine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »
Looks like apple cider!  Got rid of my guava plants.  They were taking up way too much room!  Got any recent pics of your plants with fruits on them?  They must have been loaded.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
Looks like apple cider!  Got rid of my guava plants.  They were taking up way too much room!  Got any recent pics of your plants with fruits on them?  They must have been loaded.

Nothing recent.  I got rid of the lemon and the 'Nana.'  I still have the strawberry.  I regret getting rid of the lemon, I may get another one.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
I've never heard of 'nana' guava.
Looks like a fun experiment

-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »
I've never heard of 'nana' guava.
Looks like a fun experiment

-Luke

Hi Luke,
I also have never heard of 'nana' guava, till I first saw the plant a while back. Which Adão posted about this cool tree 8)

http://www.logees.com/Dwarf-Guava-Psidium-guajava-nana/productinfo/R1521-2/
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the link! So it's the dwarf guava, not a banana flavored guava. Very Cool! I know COPlantNut has two of these, they are maybe around 2' tall by 2' wide and are loaded with flower buds right now.

-Luke

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
Thought folks might like to see a pic of the bottled wine.