Author Topic: Tree bounty so far  (Read 1314 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Tree bounty so far
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:06:03 AM »
The Jabo are gone, the mulberry are in full swing and the custard apple have been delish, two more left on the tree and even a few more canistel and starfruit are left.

Bananas are coming and sapodilla as usual are maddeningly S-L-O-W. Peach, pineapple and mango coming along nicely.

Ten years ago I envisioned this and I am happy I found this place to help it come to "fruition".

Regards,

Gary

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tree bounty so far
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 02:39:56 AM »
Congrats! Pictures? I'm working on my own fruit orchard and trying to figure out how to make it a small business venture that can sustain itself

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
I've always loved trees and forests in general.  Now we know how much our planet (and our survival) depends on them.  I can't understand why any homeowner with yard space wouldn't want to grow some fruit for his family's consumption instead of relying on the supermarket for fruit of dubious quality.  And such a great and healthful hobby!  Forum members, you're all so cool.
John

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
I think I have an answer.

Peeps like my ex wife simply cannot abide leaves cluttering up a lawn, or fallen fruit to step in or animals that may come for a snack. Trees shadow lawns and kill grass, leaves get in the gutters, trees need care, an lawn can be handed over to "someone else" to deal with.

Those same people would rather waste precious water on useless ornamental plants like grass and hibiscus than have it bear fruit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:22:21 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
Congrats! Pictures? I'm working on my own fruit orchard and trying to figure out how to make it a small business venture that can sustain itself

I had a friend in south FL who had the same desire as you expressed. He started a simple (four posts and a tin roof) fruit stand thinking it would be a weekend thing. People loved it and it quickly became a full-time business. His only problem is keeping it small and simple. (What a problem! LOL) I'm sort of envious. Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk