Author Topic: Shanxi Li vs Li jujube  (Read 7830 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Shanxi Li vs Li jujube
« on: January 07, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
I wonder if they are different variety or just simply Li? I have Sherwood and sugar cane and think about to add a few more into my collection? I like sweet taste . Is  Shanxi Li. sweeter than Li? Do you know what variety is usually sold in the super market? I don't like those since they are spongy and tasteless.
What about GA 866? Does it produce A lot of fruits and taste sweet?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Shanxi Li vs Li jujube
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:10 AM »
Shanxi Li is larger than Li. I don't have one to compare taste. Don't think it's sweeter.
Sherwood is smaller. It's denser and later season than most others.
Li is what's sold in supermarkets. They harvest them way early and let them sit there and lose moisture until they're spongy. It's much better if you grew it yourself. It's produces heavy crops. Once in a while you'll get a mediocre year when they're a little spongy and not as sweet, but not like the supermarket ones. So many people avoid them now because of what they did that they're not selling small ones (sugar cane?) as honey jujube.
GA866 is a shy bearer. It doesn't produce much fruit but tastes very sweet.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
They harvest them way early and let them sit there and lose moisture until they're spongy.

I have only had jujube from international markets, and they've been pretty awful, like you describe above.

So, as much as possible in words, can someone describe what a fresh/good jujube tastes and feels like?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
They harvest them way early and let them sit there and lose moisture until they're spongy.

I have only had jujube from international markets, and they've been pretty awful, like you describe above.

So, as much as possible in words, can someone describe what a fresh/good jujube tastes and feels like?
I have one Li and one Lang tree planted less than a year, so no fruits yet. I will tell you latter this year.  ;D

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
I have Li and Lang- fruits of both are big but taste is good , sweet only in dry fruits. When they are fresh they taste like partialy dry apple. I know that other varietes may be better.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Li is crunchy when fresh, like an apple. It's round shaped. You can eat it as the skin turns from green to red. It should be sweet. I wait until they're mostly red for more sweetness. After that, the inside starts to dry out and it eventually tastes like a dry date. The intermediate stage has a strange taste to me. Better let it dry further if it's already started.

Lang is kind of spongy and not very sweet when fresh. It's pear-shaped. After drying, it tastes sweet like any other jujube. I don't really see a point in growing Lang, given how heavy Li crops.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:31:53 PM »
Shanxi Li is larger than Li. I don't have one to compare taste. Don't think it's sweeter.
Sherwood is smaller. It's denser and later season than most others.
Li is what's sold in supermarkets. They harvest them way early and let them sit there and lose moisture until they're spongy. It's much better if you grew it yourself. It's produces heavy crops. Once in a while you'll get a mediocre year when they're a little spongy and not as sweet, but not like the supermarket ones. So many people avoid them now because of what they did that they're not selling small ones (sugar cane?) as honey jujube.
GA866 is a shy bearer. It doesn't produce much fruit but tastes very sweet.

Thank you Fyliu for your information. Well, now knowing Shanxi Li might not sweeter than Li, I will wait until the fruits half ripe on the tree before picking them. I am curious how sweet the ga866 compare to sugar cane ,so I will buy it too.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
I had Ga866 it is very good. I think it is the best.
Late season fruits.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »
Linh,

Is the tree productive ? Does it need another tree to cross polinate? My shanxi Li and ga866 are waking up. My Sherwood, sugar cane Are not

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
If you like sweet you may want to consider Honey Jar. It is sweet and is juicier than others I grow.
Only negatives to Honey Jar is the fruit size and perhaps the thorns. They are relatively small.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
I
If you like sweet you may want to consider Honey Jar. It is sweet and is juicier than others I grow.
Only negatives to Honey Jar is the fruit size and perhaps the thorns. They are relatively small.

I just bought it last Jan and put it in 15 gallons pot. It shows a little sign of waking up . I hope I will have the chance to taste it