Author Topic: Black sapote (Diospyros dignya) cultivars  (Read 7945 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Black sapote (Diospyros dignya) cultivars
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is aware of a seedless black sapote cultivar?  I have heard that seedless trees exist (in Morton, I think) but have heard of no seedless cultivars.  I got a couple of black sapotes at the Maku'u market in Puna.  Only one has ripened so far but it was absolutely seedless, had nice size fruit, and flavor was not bad (although I tend not to eat them "out of hand" but usually make mousse or smoothies with them).  Is it plausible that this was just a fluke seedless fruit (seems unlikely to me as there were no seeds or even "aborted" seeds)?  It would be worth looking this vendor up to try to get scions but I don't frequent that market and didn't really make note of where I got them.  The same woman had absolute garbage green star apples, the worst I have tasted by far.

John

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Black sapote (Diospyros dignya) cultivars
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Try calling Frankie's Nursery. They have seedless one called "Cuevas Seedless".

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
There are a few. Isolated trees of some varities can be seedless. With cross pollination most of those same varieties have a small central seed cavity.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is aware of a seedless black sapote cultivar?  I have heard that seedless trees exist (in Morton, I think) but have heard of no seedless cultivars.  I got a couple of black sapotes at the Maku'u market in Puna.  Only one has ripened so far but it was absolutely seedless, had nice size fruit, and flavor was not bad (although I tend not to eat them "out of hand" but usually make mousse or smoothies with them).  Is it plausible that this was just a fluke seedless fruit (seems unlikely to me as there were no seeds or even "aborted" seeds)?  It would be worth looking this vendor up to try to get scions but I don't frequent that market and didn't really make note of where I got them.  The same woman had absolute garbage green star apples, the worst I have tasted by far.

John

Those black sapotes were from Kama Aina farm on Papaya Rd. in Kapoho. No not a fluke, they're all like that. Island Naturals in Pahoa also sells their fruit and it's all seedless. If my memory serves me right the tree is a Bernecker or something like that.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
My tree varies fro zero seeds to half-a-dozen seeds.  I don't know the variety name.
Har

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
When I lived in mexico about 7 years ago I tried many different black sapotes and it seemed like many were big and seedless. In cali at least to my knowledge, we only have small seedy fruits. The ones in florida that I have seen online look way better than the ones here, but the ones in cuernavaca and in rural morelos were better than any I have seen in images online. Two of my trees flowered last year from plants I got in Cali 10 years ago (takes so long for stuff to fruit) and hopefully I will have some fruits when I get back, but if not I recently got two grafted "black beauty"s that are supposed to be high quality. I know the american persimmon and the texas persimmon are require cross pollenization, but do black sapotes require two flowering plants? I have a lotus persimmon that supposedly needs cross pollenization but it produces huge quantities of fruit of which 90% or more are seedless and among my favorite fruits, they taste like tasty little dates to me. Unless its a variety of lotus persimmon maybe black sapotes might act the same and not produce fruits by themselves or produce no seedless fruit.

jabotica

• U.S.A.-N.of Okeechobee,Florida-zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
 Years ago I planted a black sapote seedling at merrit island
   I went back last year ,found one on grond with seeds
 I picked a dozen off the tree to eat and to get seeds. As eachfruit ripend there was no seeds .I have 5 seedlings from that one fruit
 . I just put a graft from that tree
         I was at Undbeleable acres years back and had a
 fruit from his seedless black sapote . It had seeds.
    The tree at merrit island is the only one there

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
I suspect any  black sapote tree can be seedless if there are no other trees around and doesn't get proper pollination. Although i have a lone tree and it always has some seeds. But the sex life of this species is still a bit of a mystery.
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
I regularly harvest a tree that produces nothing but seedless fruit. Has a more compressed rather than round shape to it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:01:49 AM »
Being seedless seems to be a product of poor pollination as Oscar points out and some varieties are more prone to having no seeds than others even when planted near other trees. I had trouble getting any seeds from really big types (flying saucer, mossman and even maher)when I left it to late in the season when earlier fruit from the same trees had plenty. Some trees seem to have nearly all fruit seedless and others of the same variety do not.

Late season flying saucer.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:55 AM »
Correction ...... that flying saucer is seeded. Notice how small the seed area is in the center.This variety is often seedless but I grabbed the wrong photo.It is a good variety by those who enjoy rapidly consuming multiple lbs. of flesh without worrying about seeds too much.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Bit of thread necromancy here, but I've got a black sapote I bought from ECHO a year or two ago labeled as Wilson Seedless. It has yet to actually hold fruit, just the usual bloom and drop thing they like to do. (Edited for typos)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:30:40 AM by TheDom »
Dom

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
Bit of thread necromancy here, but I've got a black sapote I bought from ECHO a year or two ago labeled as Wilson Seedless. It has yet to actually hold fruit, just the usual bloom and drop thing they look to do.

So, true to it's name, it hasn't produced seeds!   ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
Julian Lara, of Lara Farms, near Homestead, Florida,  recently identified my Black-Sapote:  'Reineke'.
I had been calling it "Big, Wide, and Sweet"!  Season is December -February.  Top flavor.

Julian also showed me several other selections, including a very long, pointed one called 'Oval'.
Har

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
#Necromancy

I finally got about a half dozen (so far) fruit set on this "Wilson Seedless" black sapote. I'll post updates once they're ripe.

Dom

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
#Necromancy

I finally got about a half dozen (so far) fruit set on this "Wilson Seedless" black sapote. I'll post updates once they're ripe.

My friends Wilson Seedless had seeds. He has other black sapotes next to it.
-Josh

Honza P

• Czech republic, Prague (Zone 6/7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »
Hello, Is it possible to ID the variety of my black sapote? I grow it in pot, Its grafted. It usually weight about 150 g.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
I can' ID that variety.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk