Author Topic: Last minute "dwarf" size fruit tree ideas before I go to buy my mangos  (Read 1690 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
So I plan to make the journey tomorrow to buy a few trees due to the help of everyone here. Just looking to see if anyone has any non mango suggestions for what I could plant in small spaces I have open in the yard. I think I am going to buy a guava also and I already have a few different figs and an avocado now so any other suggestions?

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Miracle fruit doesn't take up much room, and is easy to grow in a large pot.

Red jaboticaba seems to fruit earlier than the black one. I don't know for sure, but suspect it could easily be kept as a small to medium bush.

The peach trees that are geared to Florida might be an option. Mine have been precocious and don't seem to spread out much.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I was also thinking about miracle fruit or perhaps a potted red hybrid Jaboticaba. White Jade Pineapples are absolutely delicious, I've had White Sugarloaf and they are supposed to be similar except white Jade has no thorns.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I know some will argue/disagree but miracle fruit is more of a novelty.  It doesnt taste very good and that is being kind nor is it very satisfying scraping minimal flesh from a seed.

Not sure how limited the space is but .aybe consider Barbados Cherry, a red lime (if you are a lime user),  with a lot of yearly and creative pruning you could do a green mulberry.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I have two persimmon trees, Triumph and South Florida, that are both very small trees.  Also, starfruit (carambola) tends to grow compactly and not spread too much.  Same with sugar apple (sweetsop).
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Muscadine grapes on a fence that gets lots of sunlight////  Ison or Southern Home variety or  Tari's Burgundy grape which is tart compared to the first two.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15206.25

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up with just the mangos and a guava. Maybe next time. I have a lot of work to do to get these planted.

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Looking forward to the pictures Chris!
-Casey