Author Topic: Killing seedlings for science  (Read 1835 times)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Killing seedlings for science
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Checked in on my seedlings and found out a lot more germinated than I expected, pretty much 100% germination on everything aside from the abiu which was 50% but still more than I was expecting. Instead of just throwing out my surplus of Annona Muricata, White Sapote, and Abiu seedlings I decided to see if they would grow in the watery organic muck near the lake by my house. I don't expect them to live, but I'll track their progress here anyway.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Killing seedlings for science
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »
Very interesting, please update on the progress.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
It's been a day and they haven't died yet even though their roots are below the water line

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:28:12 AM »
Amazing experiment and observations. The breakthrough would be if one of those fruit tree seedlings thrived under those conditions.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
They've all greened up a bit, it hasn't rained in a while so the soil is just constantly damp. I think they'll survive until the rainy season, but then they'll die from root rot once the rains start. The abiu and soursop might live but the white sapote definitely won't.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:15:18 AM »
Fruit species with quick turnovers are more apt for development; i.e. plant the seeds of those species that produce fruit quickly; repeat the process a few times; with some luck, you'll get an amazing tree that will thrive and produce abundant quality fruit under those conditions.

The Holy Grail of course are fruit species such as mango, lychee, guanabana...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk