Author Topic: Dwarfing rootstock compatible with pink lemonade?  (Read 1049 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Dwarfing rootstock compatible with pink lemonade?
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:52:31 AM »
I recently purchased a variegated eureka lemon, it was a from a rooted cutting. I know I can root more easy as it is a lemon, however I am looking to give some more dwarfing rootstock capacity. I know any trifoliate are not compatible with eureka, are there any other dwarfing rootstock out there that works? Or should I use just another sour orange?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfing rootstock compatible with pink lemonade?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
I had same though process so I simply bought a Lisbon instead which is compatible with trifoliate.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
You are right. You must be carefull with compatability issues with lemon. Shaddock is considered a semi dwarfing rootstock and works well with lemon. Dwarfing is accomplished by various methods. Rootstock, container planting, pruning and location all have factors in tbe size of citrus. Container specimens will be smaller than an in ground planting. Pruning can limit the size of any tree.....all the way to bonsai culture if one desires. Lisbon lemon grows well on FDragon an is on a par with Eureka as far as lemon quality goes. However.....if I wanted a Varigated Eureka, your dwarfing rootstocks choices are limited.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:19:23 AM by Bomand »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »
Right I do know that containers themselves are very dwarfing, but I am not so skilled in pruning roots and the right time frame of foliage. I would like the aid of a rootstock. Now using an inter stock then may work for them, correct? Get around the incompatibilities? Thanks for the info!

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
An intrestock may help. To me the time and work required to complete an interstock graft is a deterant to me doing it. Interstocking is sucessful in some cases but l have less than "goal orinted" results. I do  graft some interstock in cases of severe incompatability with rootstock or rare varities that I want to be certian they will survive.... I have used African Shaddock as Eureka rootstock and had a measure of success.....even some dwarfing effect. If you want to try an interstock I would go.....Flying Dragon base, Volk lemon interstock and Eureka on top. I have not done this.....but its what I would do if I was to build a dwarf varigated Eureka. Let us know your plan. I would also graft my varigated eureka onto a good Benton Citrange and control the size by other methods. Benton is a vigorous  citrange but is able to support Eureka . I also would try varigated eureka on macrophylla.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:11:53 PM by Bomand »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
Yes it does seem like a very long system of ways.. but who knows. I will need to get my hand on some other scions to make possible and probably wait till next fall before my FD are ready. I will see how rooting these cuttings work first! It came today, a nice sized 2 ft little tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
Normally a container grown citrus tree, does not need a dwarf rootstock  all that much.  A container does a great job keeping the tree small.