Author Topic: foreign varieties?  (Read 1373 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
foreign varieties?
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »
I often read about citrus varieties from other countries (ex. Japan) that aren't available in the US.  Is it safe to assume that these are effectively impossible to obtain, or is there some legal path to import that doesn't require a quarantine program?  And that is assuming the source countries are even willing to export them.  I know citrus growing states have their own rules, are there also federal rules? 

EDIT - I think I found my answer.  Federal regulation only allows citrus imports under special permit, for the three below purposes, for 1-3 years.

Developmental purposes. The evaluation, monitoring, or verification of plant material for plant health risks and/or the adaptability of the material for certain uses or environments.
Experimental purposes. Scientific testing which utilizes collected data and employs analytical processes under controlled conditions to create qualitative or quantitative results.
Therapeutic purposes. The application of specific scientific processes designed to eliminate, isolate, or remove potential plant pests or diseases.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:19:31 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: foreign varieties?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:44:04 PM »
Read the story about the guy that imported Dekopon from Japan to the USA.   The money and YEARS to fulfill all the regulation required by the USDA.  Nightmare.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
And the USDA can change what they allow in even after material has been imported legally. I had 50 lychee plants seized after they were in quarantine for a year. No insects or disease present. Only they decided with China that no more lychee material were allowed to be imported into the US.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
The most heartbreaking plant seizure Ive heard yet.

And the USDA can change what they allow in even after material has been imported legally. I had 50 lychee plants seized after they were in quarantine for a year. No insects or disease present. Only they decided with China that no more lychee material were allowed to be imported into the US.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
That's a shame :(

I understand the controls for obvious reasons, but it is such a tease to read about worldwide varieties that aren't actually obtainable.  Is there a list of US-based active breeding programs anywhere?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk