Author Topic: mango graft flowers and won't leaf  (Read 978 times)

rtdrury

• Mount Dora, FL, USA, US hardiness zone 9A/9B
    • View Profile
    • The Love Plan
mango graft flowers and won't leaf
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
My grafted Nam Doc Mai mango I planted May 2018 from 1 gallon pot is only 10 inches tall and both winters flowered big, but it doesn't want to leaf out.  It's healthy obviously to flower like that.  So are there defective scions sometimes that will never grow vegetatively and only want to flower?  Do I need to replace this tree?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: mango graft flowers and won't leaf
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Nam doc mai #4 can sometimes be really reluctant to grow like that. I've seen multiple trees stay at 3 feet tall for years without putting out a single leaf. My neighbors have a 12+ year old tree that stands at about 7 feet tall.

I suggest pushing it along with some nitrogen containing fertilizer on a regular basis.
Jeff  :-)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »
My grafted Nam Doc Mai mango I planted May 2018 from 1 gallon pot is only 10 inches tall and both winters flowered big, but it doesn't want to leaf out.  It's healthy obviously to flower like that.  So are there defective scions sometimes that will never grow vegetatively and only want to flower?  Do I need to replace this tree?
If possible can you post a clear picture of it?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

rtdrury

• Mount Dora, FL, USA, US hardiness zone 9A/9B
    • View Profile
    • The Love Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:22:03 PM »

Sorry, I'm focus-challenged still on the camera. The Nam Doc Mai has just two to three nodes about 5 in. above the graft union, so a total of 10 in. tall.  Those nodes have sprouted big flower stems twice in two years and I picked them off.  But now, a week after posting - surprise - it's leaf budding big time.  So, despite my other Nam Doc Mai, Cookie Monster is right that some are just slow to leaf.  Is this one a #4 variety of Nam Doc Mai?  I don't know.  Thanks guys!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
Likely the #4. The growers here switched to #4 many years ago. Hard to find the other NDM clones.

Sorry, I'm focus-challenged still on the camera. The Nam Doc Mai has just two to three nodes about 5 in. above the graft union, so a total of 10 in. tall.  Those nodes have sprouted big flower stems twice in two years and I picked them off.  But now, a week after posting - surprise - it's leaf budding big time.  So, despite my other Nam Doc Mai, Cookie Monster is right that some are just slow to leaf.  Is this one a #4 variety of Nam Doc Mai?  I don't know.  Thanks guys!
Jeff  :-)