Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!  (Read 21067 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
I bought two boxes from the first shipment and had 3 or 4 fantastic ones from the first box, the rest including the entire 2nd box were so-so.
Shane

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »
Here is some of the mangoes i have tried from the Asian supermarket.

From right to left

Rajapuri
Imam Passand
Mallika
Omelette mango
Kesar
Okrung (From kenya or Thailand)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:10:16 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
I also tried Ammani Mango (India)

Water Lily (Malaysia)

Mulgoba Mango (india).More info from wiki ( It is generally considered to be one of the best mangoes, the "Alphonso of South India"). I will try it soon.

Sindooram mango

Moh'd

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
Please let us know which ones are your favorites. I have been disappointed with the quality of Kesar and Banganpalli this year as they seem to have been picked under ripe and the internal color was not a deep orange in the Kesar, instead, it was more of a pale yellow. I'm considering ordering some Mulgova and Sindrhi.

Simon

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
Please let us know which ones are your favorites. I have been disappointed with the quality of Kesar and Banganpalli this year as they seem to have been picked under ripe and the internal color was not a deep orange in the Kesar, instead, it was more of a pale yellow. I'm considering ordering some Mulgova and Sindrhi.

Simon

Kesar mango isn't as good as the last year crop. I remember Kesar was very good when I had it before and it was very close to Alphonso mango in sweetness and flavor,imo.

Malgova mango was a total surprise for me.It was Very sweet with nice/pleasant citrusy flavor.  it is highly underrated mango especially in here as no one in this forum is mentioning it. However, the total edible flesh is not great but still I believe this cultivar deserve more attention. Keep us updated if you can get it in California.

Here how I would rank the mangoes that I had mentioned in my previous posts.

-Best (worth growing)
Imam Passand
Mallika
Mulgoba Mango
Kesar (in 2016  ;D)

-Good (cool to have it, if you have lots of sapce)
Rajapuri
Omelette mango
Okrung

-bad (not worth the space)
Ammani Mango

-Burn it.
Water Lily
Moh'd

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
I've been underwhelmed by the quality of the Indian Mangos this year. The mangos came in early but the quality was not as good as 2016 because these mangos appear to have been picked too early and did not reach the Brix levels of the last couple years that I have been reporting on them. The last couple cases of Alphonso, Kesar and Banganpalli were all decent quality but not good enough to make me crave them and purchase case after case like I did in 2016.

Can anyone report back on the quality of the late season fruit for varieties like Kesar? I called Miramar Cash and Carry and they said they still have Kesars.

I was just sent an email from MangoZZ.com and I find their reports on the progression of Indian Mango season very useful. I like their report not because they tell you which mango varieties are good but because they tell you which varieties weren't so good this season and a reason why they felt the quality was less than expected.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
I rolled the dice a bought a box. I'll report back on the quality of these later season fruit. The fruit already looks better because they are not super green.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
I rolled the dice a bought a box. I'll report back on the quality of these later season fruit. The fruit already looks better because they are not super green.

Simon
kesar were subpar a few black inside the others as you reported below average compare to last few years

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »

Simon

I was disappointed from my 2 boxes I got in May, not going to spend another $25/box. I got delicious ataulfo from market $6/box of 16 plus mangoes, plus seeds for rootstock  ??? ???

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
I've been underwhelmed by the quality of the Indian Mangos this year. The mangos came in early but the quality was not as good as 2016 because these mangos appear to have been picked too early and did not reach the Brix levels of the last couple years that I have been reporting on them. The last couple cases of Alphonso, Kesar and Banganpalli were all decent quality but not good enough to make me crave them and purchase case after case like I did in 2016.

Can anyone report back on the quality of the late season fruit for varieties like Kesar? I called Miramar Cash and Carry and they said they still have Kesars.

I was just sent an email from MangoZZ.com and I find their reports on the progression of Indian Mango season very useful. I like their report not because they tell you which mango varieties are good but because they tell you which varieties weren't so good this season and a reason why they felt the quality was less than expected.

Simon

I tried Alphonso two days ago and it was good. The second batch of Kesar was a lot better,imo.
Moh'd

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »
Evilfruit,
I agree, this later season fruit is so much better. I just cut open my first fruit from the latest box
And it was incredibly delicious. It had a Brix of 20.5% and had just the perfect amount of Indian resin flavor to balance the sweetness. The flesh was melting and super juicy, perhaps a bit over ripe. This fruit had very broad shoulders, I hope the other skinnier fruit are just as good as this one.

Unfortunately this is probably the last of the Kesars for this year, I'm going to call Miramar Cash and Carry to see if they will be getting any more This season. These later season fruit are the same quality that I remember from last year.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
I stopped by Miramar Cash and Carry yesterday and they got another shipment of Kesar and Banganpalli mangos. These late season Kesar are excellent quality and all the fruit have filled in shoulders and some of the fruit are almost completely yellow with some just showing a blush of yellow. The average Brix is about 20% and these late season fruit are as good as the ones from last year. Unfortunately, this may be the last shipment of the year depending on wether or not they can acquire more from the supplier.

Simon

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
Have a question Amrapali and Banganapali are the same mango?
El verde es vida!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »

No.

But there are debates [edit: amongst my Indian friends] about other mango varieties being the same as banganpalli (like baneshan)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:46:59 PM by wslau »
Warren

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »

No.

But there are debates about other mango varieties being the same as banganpalli (like baneshan)

That one’s not even a debate, they’re known to be the same.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk