Author Topic: Laurel Wilt on Day Avocado?  (Read 2282 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Laurel Wilt on Day Avocado?
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »
Does this look like laurel wilt. Its a Day Avocado beginning to push flowers. Several branches are wilted and the leaves don't fall like an annual molting tree. I dont see any signs of the beetle. Some of the branches look perfect, others not so much. The flower buds are dying on the wilted branches.

JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Laurel Wilt on Day Avocado?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »
In its early stages, I don't think you can make the diagnosis from just casual observation.  Laurel Wilt is a fungus that is carried by the Ambrosia Beetle and causes the tree to be unable to uptake moisture to the branches and leaves.  The leaves wilt initially because of loss of hydration.  This is the same situation with some other diseases.....like Phytopthera attack on roots, or even a non-disease process like plain old dehydration from lack of water.  The main difference is that with the diseases, the leaves turn brown and do not drop.  With straight dehydration, there will usually be some attempt by the tree to drop its leaves and limit water loss through the leaves until new hydration occurs.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
I think I can rule out dehydration due to lack of water. I water  once per week and I have seen dehydration due to lack of water and this is different. Plus when I've observed deyhdration due to lack of water in the past, the avocado trees respond quickly to watering and perk up. This one has not.

Thanks for the insight, Harry.

Several months ago a single lower branch showed the same symptoms and completely died back. Now several branches are showing similar symptoms.

Perhaps there is a root issue. I don't know. 

I still walk around the yard and observe the trees on a daily basis and this wilt came on fast. Seemingly normal branches to wilted in a day or two.

In its early stages, I don't think you can make the diagnosis from just casual observation.  Laurel Wilt is a fungus that is carried by the Ambrosia Beetle and causes the tree to be unable to uptake moisture to the branches and leaves.  The leaves wilt initially because of loss of hydration.  This is the same situation with some other diseases.....like Phytopthera attack on roots, or even a non-disease process like plain old dehydration from lack of water.  The main difference is that with the diseases, the leaves turn brown and do not drop.  With straight dehydration, there will usually be some attempt by the tree to drop its leaves and limit water loss through the leaves until new hydration occurs.
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »
Does not seem to be Laurel Wilt. Usually the beetle will not attack small trees.  Probably over watering or too much fertilizer.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
Does not seem to be Laurel Wilt. Usually the beetle will not attack small trees.  Probably over watering or too much fertilizer. Or just the tree doing its annual leave change.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
Hmm. Cant say its overwatering. Im in Martin county on high elevation on super sand and only water once a week.

Maybe over fert but I havent done anything different over the past several years. 8-3-9 plus minors and 0-0-22 K Mag lightly on a monthly basis. But I haven't even put down 8-3-9 in the past several months in anticipation of the bloom.

I think I'll submit a sample to be sure.

Does not seem to be Laurel Wilt. Usually the beetle will not attack small trees.  Probably over watering or too much fertilizer.
JC

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
Martin County, probably the cold spell we had in late February. I think it will be fine. Is going to shed most leave.
By the way, I fertigate 12 months a year. The no fertilizer for months prior to avocado  bloom is a myth (in my opinion) With respect those that do not agree.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:22:16 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com