Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 78271 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2013, 01:00:32 AM »
I have 3 types of rat in my area (2 I have seen in the yard) that can exceed 1kg.They seem to be universally disliked.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2013, 02:38:29 AM »
Some people find them just like any other creature with fur, so it's just a state of mind. But, my mind has been made up about them. Until gene modification ;) is made on future rats, I will go eww. But, did you guys know that, there was a furry rat found in Laos, a while back. Along with some newly discover species like the Annamite striped rabbit and just last year the giant Laotian flying squirrel.

Laotian rock rat
I guess, you can call it kinda cute

Annamite striped rabbit

Laos giant flying squirrle

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »
Hi,

One day I saw this opossum strolling on my fence.

Tomas

thats rare this fara(opposum), here are whites and brown specs, variety I suppose....

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »
Hey those are beautiful and unique wild animals there in California. I was not aware of their existence there.

About two months ago, while stepping out the front door of my house, I almost tripped on an all black snake that crossed my path. I guess that's what I get for planting flower bushes near the main door of the house. I'm quite sure it wasn't venomous, but it was a somewhat startling event. Nothing like that has happened to me before. I'm glad I'm not superstitious; Happy Halloween.  :)
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
Hey those are beautiful and unique wild animals there in California. I was not aware of their existence there.

About two months ago, while stepping out the front door of my house, I almost tripped on an all black snake that crossed my path. I guess that's what I get for planting flower bushes near the main door of the house. I'm quite sure it wasn't venomous, but it was a somewhat startling event. Nothing like that has happened to me before. I'm glad I'm not superstitious; Happy Halloween.  :)

This reminds me. In india, my cousin's house is surrounded by fruit trees (although they really have just about no land at all, think a three foot wide strip of dirt that extends around the house) and there is a vacant lot nearby, so there are large snakes all over the place. Once,when i was about to put on my shoe, a shin, iridescent green snake came out. I was terrified  ;D

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

If you were referring to those pictures that, I posted. They aren't actually in California, I found them online, those three are actually new species found in the jungles of South East Asia(Laos and Burma to be precise) not too long ago. The first picture is actually a prehistoric rat(not an actual squirrel) species thought to have been extinct in the wild. But, biologist found some being sold in the wild bush meat market in Laos. the second picture is an Annamite striped rabbit found in the Annamite Mountains bordering Vietnam and Laos. The last one is a giant flying Squirrel species found in the jungles of Laos. That flying squirrel is bigger and longer than the average house cat.

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »

If you were referring to those pictures that, I posted. They aren't actually in California, I found them online, those three are actually new species found in the jungles of South East Asia(Laos and Burma to be precise) not too long ago. The first picture is actually a prehistoric rat(not an actual squirrel) species thought to have been extinct in the wild. But, biologist found some being sold in the wild bush meat market in Laos. the second picture is an Annamite striped rabbit found in the Annamite Mountains bordering Vietnam and Laos. The last one is a giant flying Squirrel species found in the jungles of Laos. That flying squirrel is bigger and longer than the average house cat.

Someone has been discovered  :o

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
first let me start by saying, it's always a pleasure to disprove what the books tell you (and especially that damn wikipedia...a place for half assed information)

today I documented a Zebra Swallowtail (Protographium marcellus) laying eggs on Annona dioica, Annona cornifolia, and A. muricata.

all the info I've seen, says that they feed exclusively on Asimina species.

Well I'm here to tell you, that's not true.

Here is proof.

a female hovering around Annona cornifolia, looking for a place to lay.

about to lay an egg on A. cornifolia

difficult to see, but there is an egg on the new growth of this grafted A. dioica

easy to see the egg, on the new growth of A. cornifolia (this seemed to be the butterfly's favorite tree, it laid most of it's eggs on cornifolia)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Maybe the swallowtail butterflies hadn't read that wikipedia article? Or maybe they just got confused in identifying different species?  ;) Anyway, yes experience is the best teacher. There are so many exceptions to every rule that so called facts, aren't always so factual.
About wikipedia, their articles are only as good as their contributors. Because they never give the names of the contributors you don't know how trustworthy they are. Also because the contributions are done for free sometimes not that much effort goes into them.
Oscar

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
Hey guys, should I be worried? I got a soil test but I don't think they tested for radioactive waste. Maybe I should have gone the chemical route instead of all this weed pulling and cover cropping.
-Josh

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
first let me start by saying, it's always a pleasure to disprove what the books tell you (and especially that damn wikipedia...a place for half assed information)

today I documented a Zebra Swallowtail (Protographium marcellus) laying eggs on Annona dioica, Annona cornifolia, and A. muricata.

Here is proof.

difficult to see, but there is an egg on the new growth of this grafted A. dioica

easy to see the egg, on the new growth of A. cornifolia (this seemed to be the butterfly's favorite tree, it laid most of it's eggs on cornifolia)

When the eggs hatch and the caterpillars start eating those plants, then you can update Wikipedia.
Maybe you need to plant more host plants for that particular butterfly. That way the poor egg laden females wont have to resort to laying their eggs on just any plant, but can do it proper and give her young ones a chance.  :)

DM

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
definitely will take pics of the larvae if they hatch...it doesn't take long.

but I won't be updating wikipedia...I guess people will have to read the forum.

Here is proof.

When the eggs hatch and the caterpillars start eating those plants, then you can update Wikipedia.
Maybe you need to plant more host plants for that particular butterfly. That way the poor egg laden females wont have to resort to laying their eggs on just any plant, but can do it proper and give her young ones a chance.  :)

DM
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
hehe maybe it's evolving into a new life form -- a flying lizard?

Hey guys, should I be worried? I got a soil test but I don't think they tested for radioactive waste. Maybe I should have gone the chemical route instead of all this weed pulling and cover cropping.

Jeff  :-)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
hehe maybe it's evolving into a new life form -- a flying lizard?

i don't have the picture to prove it, but i have seen a lizard with two tails once before

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2015, 11:58:08 PM »
you guys in florida have some amazing wildlife!   

Here in CA I saw a coyote last week, but he had passed by the time I got a photo.   

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »

the cardinals that hang out on my porch have learned that the dogs' dish always has something good to eat in it.  they have set up housekeeping in a mexicola avocado tree about fifteen feet from the bowl of kibbles.  a short commute.  this pic is from a few days ago.  there are now three babies in the nest.
treefrog land and cattle company

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
 :o :-[ 8)

Vernmented Orchards "Home of the Deformed Lizards"
-Josh

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
:o :-[ 8)

Vernmented Orchards "Home of the Deformed Lizards"

wonder what she saw in him ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »
i had a mosquito problem
the more plants i had, the more wildlife i had
then i started seeing a LOT of dragonflies
now, i have a lot of lizards

but, i just got a dog, who now thinks she is lizard patrol
she loves chasing and catching them, though last time she caught one,
she just played with it. i have seen her eat one though.
maybe now i will have more dragonflies and less lizards again ?

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
Here's a butterfly with pretty good camouflage on my dream cherimoya.

Here's an interesting fly I found on one of my longkong trees.

ccamp

• USA, FL, Miramar, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
Not a fly but a leafhopper  :)  Cool looking insects despite that they are feeding off the sap of your trees.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
Tetsu,

nice cloudless sulphur butterfly.

greenman,

the shot of the anole eating the dragon fly is awesome!

vernmented,

you kind of remind me of the video vigilante...you busted those lizards in the midst of an indecent act...and the male looks like he's bowed up, and ready to fight you...I can see the look in his eye....he's like "for real?  you're going to put me on blast like that?"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:36:35 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Found this male Jackson chameleon on the ice cream bean tree. Their favorite fruit trees are that one and the rollinia. Here he poses in front of a mango:

Nice. I'm going to start raising them in my greenhouse. I used to raise chameloeons a when I was a kid inside. I'm thinking it should be really easy out in the greenhouse.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Found this male Jackson chameleon on the ice cream bean tree. Their favorite fruit trees are that one and the rollinia. Here he poses in front of a mango:

Nice. I'm going to start raising them in my greenhouse. I used to raise chameloeons a when I was a kid inside. I'm thinking it should be really easy out in the greenhouse.

That's cool, it should work, there's a guy some where up there that does it for $$

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »
today i saw the eggs hatching...the small caterpillars were almost impossible to see..they looked black and white, and fuzzy...i saw them consuming the shell of the egg they hatched from...then later this evening, I witnessed a larva that had fed upon the foliage of A. dioica...(I couldn't find them on the A. cornifolia, but this is only because they're so darn small...i know they're there...feeding on the foliage somewhere)

I will try to get pics when they get larger...right now there is no way my camera phone could focus on them (maybe it can?  I will try tomorrow a few times)

Here is proof.

DM
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:45:10 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk