Author Topic: Looking to buy Citrus Sudachi and Citrus Yuko (EU-based)  (Read 4401 times)

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Looking to buy Citrus Sudachi and Citrus Yuko (EU-based)
« on: March 27, 2019, 04:50:38 AM »
I have recently acquired some great Poncirus Trifoliate plants that I want to use as rootstock to practise some grafting. I am looking for some budwood, since my own plants are not yet of size. I mainly collect Japanese citrus varieties but I open for anything.

Some species that I already have:
- Kabosu
- Yuzu
- Citrus obovoidea
- Citrus flaviculpus
- Citrus kejari

Some species that I am mainly looking for (but once again, open for anything)
- Yuzu (mine are seedlings)
- Sudachi
- Yuko
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:54:46 AM by deRoode »

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy Citrus Sudachi and Citrus Yuko (EU-based)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:39:15 AM »
Anyone any idea where to find Citrus Sudachi in Europe? I know theWasabicompany cells Sudachi trees but It will be difficult and expensive to get them here. I will be able to find fruit by the end of the year, but perhaps somebody has some material.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:33:56 AM »
Yuko it's hard to find. Only in japan. Import permits to bring into EU would be a couple of thousand of euro.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
Japan cultivars is pretty hard to find in EU. For two reasons,
first, import citrus trees is banned from outside EU,
second, citruses in Japan are known as  CTV transporters often. And nurseries, which are capable to clean budwood are not interested in such cultivars.
This is reason why enthusiasts start some japan citrus from seeds.
So, if you find some fruiting japan citrus cultivar like sudachi, or yuko in EU, they are most likely illegally imported and affected by CTV.
There is a test kit for sale for CTV in EU, but it costs cca. 80€ with shipping.
But as far as I know sudachi and yuko are not worth to grow for fruit, only as curiosity.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:58 AM by Radoslav »

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
I did find a Citrus Yuko plant (it being shipped right now), but I don't know anything about the authenticity of the plant (might want to check it at some point). Last year there were a couple of companies that import Japanese Citrus from Japan. I was able to find Yuzu this way and Sudachi was unfortunately out of stock. I might be able to find these again this year.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »
I think that this directive is in eu countries laws.

COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 2000/29/EC of 8 May 2000 on protective measures against the introduction into the Community of organisms harmful to plants or plant products and against their spread within the Community

ANNEX III
PART A
PLANTS, PLANT PRODUCTS AND OTHER OBJECTS THE INTRODUCTION OF WHICH SHALL BE PROHIBITED IN ALL MEMBER STATES

16. Plants of Citrus L., Fortunella Swingle, Poncirus Raf., and their hybrids, other than fruit and seeds    Country of origin: Third countries
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:2000L0029:20090303:EN:PDF

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Most, if not all the Yukos sold in Europe are not true Yuko but in fact some soviet lemon (or something like that), for example, the one Eisenhut sells: https://www.eisenhut.ch/dyn/index.php?id=272791&onlyid=140284

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »
I guess it will be interesting to find out if my Yuko is true or not  :D

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
I did find a Citrus Yuko plant (it being shipped right now), but I don't know anything about the authenticity of the plant (might want to check it at some point). Last year there were a couple of companies that import Japanese Citrus from Japan. I was able to find Yuzu this way and Sudachi was unfortunately out of stock. I might be able to find these again this year.

I don't think there is any genuine company which imports from Japan.
The law it in the whole Europe. Quarantine and disease test are very expensive.
A plant would need to spend few months in quarantine even with a phyto certificate.

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 02:28:05 AM »
The Yuko plant I ordered is coming from the UK. The Yuzu and Sudachi is imported to Europe as fruit, not plants.
I believe at some point, seeds were brought from Japan to Europe. Other Japanese cultivars like Citrus Sphaerocarpa (Kabosu) are available in Europe, indicating that they must have come here at some point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:34:42 AM by deRoode »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:38:34 AM »
The Yuko plant I ordered is coming from the UK. The Yuzu and Sudachi is imported to Europe as fruit, not plants.

Yuzu is common in EU nurseries.
Also Kabosu appeared in nurseries in France, Italy and Czech Republic some times ago, but there are questions about budwood source and if it is clean of ctv.
https://eshop.rakytnik.com/katalog/zbozi/citrusy/mrazuvzdorne-druhy-a-hybridy/produkt/citrus-sphaerocarpa-tan.-kabosu-----poncirus
Tintori sells kabosu, yuzu, oni yuzu.
https://www.oscartintori.it/categoria-prodotto/serra-degli-agrumi/serra-degli-agrumi-papede-citrus-histrix/

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »
But as far as I know sudachi and yuko are not worth to grow for fruit, only as curiosity.

Hey Radoslav, care to elaborate? Are they insipid/wortless for lack of juice, and/or unpalatable?
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
Sudachi has a nice flavor. I had mine for many years, but it got wacked way back by the freeze we had in Jan 2018 & is still struggling to come back. Not as hardy as I thought.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 04:57:06 AM »

Hey Radoslav, care to elaborate? Are they insipid/wortless for lack of juice, and/or unpalatable?

Sudachi has the smallest fruit of all basic japan sour fruits

Sudachi すだち Hebesu へべすKabosuかぼす、

I did not eat yuko, but I heard that it is just sour water.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:03:24 AM by Radoslav »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 04:58:27 AM »

kabosu, bushiyukan, naoshichi.

But sometimes the small size is advantage.
I really like my hanayuzu tree, I am using it as substitute for lemon and small fruit has juice just for one cup of tea so it perfectly fits. No need to store juice or cutted fruit.

Hanayuzu, Hong yuzu, Shishi yuzu 花ユズ、本柚子、獅子柚子.j
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:28:03 AM by Radoslav »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 05:19:54 AM »
Some of mine before the tree froze...

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
Sylvain had a first harvest of his Yuko seedling in 2017, it seems that the fruit was early,quite  sweet but odor was faint, nothing to do with Yuzu.

French forum

Google translation
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Sylvain had a first harvest of his Yuko seedling in 2017, it seems that the fruit was early,quite  sweet but odor was faint, nothing to do with Yuzu.

French forum

Google translation

The pictures fit to Tanaka description of citrus yuko except the taste.

Tanaka wrote: "YUZU hybrid character, fr size good sized Satsuma, shape resembles Kunembo- rough, orange-yellow, Calyx provides 1g disk ring, rind 5.0 mm, ht 5.0, wid 6.3 cm, pulp poor taste, apex rounded, base pointed, 8 seeds, seeds green polyembryonic"
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC3146.html

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »
Sudachi has the smallest fruit of all basic japan sour fruits

Sudachi すだち Hebesu へべすKabosuかぼす、

Very interesting thank you for clarification.

Also Kabosu appeared in nurseries in France, Italy and Czech Republic some times ago, but there are questions about budwood source and if it is clean of ctv.
https://eshop.rakytnik.com/katalog/zbozi/citrusy/mrazuvzdorne-druhy-a-hybridy/produkt/citrus-sphaerocarpa-tan.-kabosu-----poncirus
https://www.oscartintori.it/categoria-prodotto/serra-degli-agrumi/serra-degli-agrumi-papede-citrus-histrix/

I can't tell for any nursery in EU but i know for a fact that our phytosanitary service routinely inspect citrus nurseries for CTV, so if someone has it in catalogue, they should have been tested.

French forum

Google translation

Amazing. Growing citrus from seeds to get a clone has always surprised me as a huge effort. I'm attempting same with two plants born from a single seed of Haruka. Since both the plants came from a single seed i hope one of them to be the original clone.

BTW, speaking of seeds, does anyone knows if in europe there's any kind of seedless yuzu?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:36:08 PM by Pancrazio »
Italian fruit forum

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
Even if it doesn't come true, most times the resulting tree will still be very close to the parent.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 01:41:32 AM »

I can't tell for any nursery in EU but i know for a fact that our phytosanitary service routinely inspect citrus nurseries for CTV, so if someone has it in catalogue, they should have been tested.

I do not think so.
https://corvigo.blogspot.com/2019/05/e-il-virus-della-tristeza-va-avanti.html?fbclid=IwAR1uSxI06sLQhL_vZbku8Ky0TD52nk-i60HlW9BvoBEslr1YigxYxEiC47E

BTW, speaking of seeds, does anyone knows if in europe there's any kind of seedless yuzu?

In some private collections in France and Belgium, but there is a problem with CTV.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:46:32 AM by Radoslav »

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
I do not think so.
https://corvigo.blogspot.com/2019/05/e-il-virus-della-tristeza-va-avanti.html?fbclid=IwAR1uSxI06sLQhL_vZbku8Ky0TD52nk-i60HlW9BvoBEslr1YigxYxEiC47E

I know it's hard to believe from outside, but what happens in Sicily (or southern italy) doesn't necessarily reflect the situation in Italy as whole (or in Tuscany for that matter). Moreso since our phytosanitary legislation has become a local matter; a senseless decision, which has created enormous damages (I think to xylella infection), but this how it works here now.

In some private collections in France and Belgium, but there is a problem with CTV.

Oh. Too bad.
Italian fruit forum

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 05:48:49 AM »

kabosu, bushiyukan, naoshichi.

But sometimes the small size is advantage.
I really like my hanayuzu tree, I am using it as substitute for lemon and small fruit has juice just for one cup of tea so it perfectly fits. No need to store juice or cutted fruit.

Hanayuzu, Hong yuzu, Shishi yuzu 花ユズ、本柚子、獅子柚子.j

Thank you for your clarification. Those pictures really show a lot!

Edit: I've updated the post