Author Topic: Edward or Edgar? Based just on flavor  (Read 7896 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Edward or Edgar? Based just on flavor
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
If you have to pick only one, based only in the fruit, none of the aspects of the tree are important even if Edward is a shy bearer, just for the flavor and texture of flesh which would you pick?
El verde es vida!

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Edward or Edgar? Based just on flavor
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »
Edgar for me. Never really saw the greatness of Edward - tastes like a good mango, but nothing particular/special about it (to me).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »
+1 Edward.
Jeff  :-)

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Never had edgar, but I did like edward. The texture is very nice, a little firm and fiberless. It has a really well balanced flavor, like others have said it's typical mango flavor and nothing really unique about it. If you can appreciate the philosophy that less is more then I think edward is a good choice. It's also a little early bearing which is nice, i'm not sure when edgar's typical harvesting time is.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
Never had edgar, but I did like edward. The texture is very nice, a little firm and fiberless. It has a really well balanced flavor, like others have said it's typical mango flavor and nothing really unique about it. If you can appreciate the philosophy that less is more then I think edward is a good choice. It's also a little early bearing which is nice, i'm not sure when edgar's typical harvesting time is.
I believe Edgar is mid to late season. I like both but prefer Edgar from what I remember.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:07:40 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
+1 Edward

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:52:50 PM »
I believe Edgar is mid to late season. I like botj but prefer Edgar from what I remember.

Mid, not late season.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
Edward.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 06:19:59 AM »
Close but going with the Edgar.   But I ate the Edgars last and its getting close to Edward season. 

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:43 AM »
I love the Edward. One of the best mangos!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:48 AM »
Thank you guys for your input, sounds like both of them are good, and 4 votes for Edward, 3 for Edgar, plus one for Edward from Tetsuo who have not tried Edgar yet,  I think I saw in a review that Edgar got the creaminess factor inherited from his parent Gary, Maybe I have to make space for both!
El verde es vida!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
Edgar. Edward is inconsistent but excellent when it's on.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
Thank you guys for your input, sounds like both of them are good, and 4 votes for Edward, 3 for Edgar, plus one for Edward from Tetsuo who have not tried Edgar yet,  I think I saw in a review that Edgar got the creaminess factor inherited from his parent Gary, Maybe I have to make space for both!

I question how many people have actually tried both rather than just proclaiming Edward or Edgar is best. That's always a problem with questions like these where you get people saying "Edgar!" when they have never tried Edward and vice versa.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »
I did try both last summer, and I'd say the Edgar was probably better, but that was just one sampling of each.  Next time around Edward might be better.  I think you'd have to have eaten a whole lot of each to make a final judgement.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
Edward is good. Edgar is great.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »

I question how many people have actually tried both rather than just proclaiming Edward or Edgar is best. That's always a problem with questions like these where you get people saying "Edgar!" when they have never tried Edward and vice versa.
Just found my notes from last year.  They are in agreement with what Future wrote (and he has definitely tried lots of mango varieties!!)...Edward is quite good, good balance and good mango flavor--7 to 8 was the score depending on the sample  Edgar is off-the-chain!  I gave it a 9 out of 10, as all the ones I had were excellent.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »

I vote no to both, unless you have unlimited space and are just trying to collect as many varieties as possible.   Edward has a creamier flesh, Edgar is a firmer and seems to hold longer.  Edward is your basic mango flavor, sweet and true without any odd flavor characteristics.   Its not mild but definitely has no super intensity to it.  Edgar is sweet with a distinct more intense flavor and has a bit of what some may say a hint of resin component on the finish (but not off putting).  Edgar could have a place in the commercial marketplace if the flavor was widely accepted.

With all these responses, keep in mind that tasteas are subjective...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:52:32 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »

I vote no to both, unless you have unlimited space and are just trying to collect as many varieties as possible.   Edward has a creamier flesh, Edgar is a firmer and seems to hold longer.  Edward is your basic mango flavor, sweet and true without any odd flavor characteristics.   Its not mild but definitely has no super intensity to it.  Edgar is sweet with a distinct more intense flavor and has a bit of what some may say a hint of resin component on the finish (but not off putting).  Edgar could have a place in the commercial marketplace if the flavor was widely accepted.

With all these responses, keep in mind that tasteas are subjective...
Buillie, thanks for your comment! That gives me the hole idea that I was looking for, really appreciated the knowledge that you and other members spread on this forum,  thanks alot!
El verde es vida!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »
ha this is like the twilight zone. Edward must have had a bad year last year, because it's widely regarded as one of the best tasting mangoes grown in florida. I recall someone saying that Dr Richard Campbell responded to the favorite mango question with "edward."

Based on flavor alone, the Edward is incredible. It is a perfect balance of persimmony sweetness with a subtle acidity, in a creamy, somewhat firm flesh and a largish sized mango. Combine that with the fact that Edward is often one of the first mangoes to bear -- sometimes bearing crops in March or April, at which point an Edward is the best tasting fruit one can find in the state of Florida.

I never planted one myself, due to the reports of it being a shy bearer. Instead, I planted one in my neighbor's yard. And, it has consistently been one of the best bearing trees on our block, often competing with my glenn for productivity. I now realize that it was a mistake to have not planted it on my own property, and have contemplated what it would take to transplant it to my yard.

I have the Edgar growing on my property. I topworked it to a portion of my keitt. When it bears (it skipped this year), it does tend to produce large crops. However, the flavor just isn't up to par with an Edward.

Though Edward can be a shyer bearer than one of the workhorse mangies, such as a glenn, it makes up for it by being extremely consistent and producing fantastic early season mangoes. Most years, they will bear two crops -- one in late spring and one in the summer.
Jeff  :-)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »
We bought Edward from Alex last year and hope to this year and they were great. 

Got Edgars from Walter Zills fruit stand later in the year and they are great also.   I like the firmer fleshed types best.   So this one rates higher for my tastes. 

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
Is Edgar early like Edward?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
Is Edgar early like Edward?

No, not as early.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
'Edward' being Richard Campbell's favorite mango variety was the main reason that I got it. I don't recall ever tasting an Edgar.

The description by Jeff is right on, IMO. Although it's been a shy bearer for me up to now, the thought has never come to mind in wanting to shop the tree down. If the fruit production of this variety were consistent year after year, this would be the perfect mango variety.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as the tree matures further, that its production quantity will be more plentiful and more yearly consistent.

ha this is like the twilight zone. Edward must have had a bad year last year, because it's widely regarded as one of the best tasting mangoes grown in florida. I recall someone saying that Dr Richard Campbell responded to the favorite mango question with "edward."

Based on flavor alone, the Edward is incredible. It is a perfect balance of persimmony sweetness with a subtle acidity, in a creamy, somewhat firm flesh and a largish sized mango. Combine that with the fact that Edward is often one of the first mangoes to bear -- sometimes bearing crops in March or April, at which point an Edward is the best tasting fruit one can find in the state of Florida.

I never planted one myself, due to the reports of it being a shy bearer. Instead, I planted one in my neighbor's yard. And, it has consistently been one of the best bearing trees on our block, often competing with my glenn for productivity. I now realize that it was a mistake to have not planted it on my own property, and have contemplated what it would take to transplant it to my yard.

I have the Edgar growing on my property. I topworked it to a portion of my keitt. When it bears (it skipped this year), it does tend to produce large crops. However, the flavor just isn't up to par with an Edward.

Though Edward can be a shyer bearer than one of the workhorse mangies, such as a glenn, it makes up for it by being extremely consistent and producing fantastic early season mangoes. Most years, they will bear two crops -- one in late spring and one in the summer.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »
I had my first Edward and it's the first one off my 3 year old tree and I can say it's one of the best mangoes I've had this year.  My Edgar has not given fruit yet so I can't say if it's better.  If it is better it must be a great mango.  It weighed 1 lb 10 oz.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk