Author Topic: Jackfruit 10' up?  (Read 2611 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Jackfruit 10' up?
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
This year my jackfruit has small fruits developing on branches up in the canopy?

I did not know they would do this.
Regards,

Gary

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit 10' up?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
Funny I just saw the same thing on one of mine today. It's a sweet Fairchild bought at the jackfruit fest a few years back. It's growing straight up right even though I topped it last year. It's never fruited and has flowering activity at the very top.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »
They will certainly hold fruit up in the canopy, as long as the branches are thick enough.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »
3 out of 4 of my fruit producing seedlings put out the first fruit at the top of the tree. I have two seedling trees producing the first fruit this year and the fruits are about 2 - 3 feet below the tallest tip. One tree is 16 feet tall. 
Brandon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »
I have seen and picked fruit between 10 - 20 feet up in the trees.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »
Wow! I guess I never thought of looking up into Jackfruit that I pass by since it seems commonplace. 

This year I hope my Gold Nugget holds a lot of fruit, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on my Bangkok Lemon. It's been in ground 2 1/2 years bought as a large ~15 gallon (was stuffed into a burlap sack after the seller dug it out) and I think it's big enough to hold some fruit.

If the branches up top are not big enough to hold fruit, can the fruit be secured somehow to prevent them or the branch from breaking off?

Regards,

Gary

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
I've seen Jakfruit up in the canopy of tree up to about 15 metres tall. No broken branches. I think the tree might reinforce limbs to take the weight as the fruits develop. Mine are up to 10 metres tall but same thing, fruit on limbs I thought wouldn't take the weight never had a problem. The only problem with fruit up that high is getting it down. I lower them down on ropes.

sobars_machado

• India, Maharashtra, Mumbai, Vasai (Konkan region - Tropical)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »
I think there something different happening with jackfruit this year. I also noticed this on my neighbors tree that all the flowers are on the tips of small branches, not the main trunk. That tree is fruiting for the first time, so i thought may be it is a different variety but after couple of weeks our jackfruit trees also bloomed and they also had flowers on the top/slim branches, not on the main trunk. In the past this never happened with our trees, they always had flowers/fruits on the main trunk only, not even on big branches, just on main trunk. But this year it is completely opposite, nothing on main trunk and all on the tips of small branches. And, the quantity of flowers is not normal, they are too much all over the tree.

Also one more interesting thing is: normally there are 2 flowers on one branch tip, but this time there are 3 flowers on each branch tip. One is smooth and still not opened, two are hairy/dotted green and the interesting thing happened is one of the hairy/dotted flower turned black in few days time and the 2 other are still green.

Do you guys think may be it has something to do with the weather or something wrong going on in the atmosphere?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 05:43:05 AM »
I think there something different happening with jackfruit this year. I also noticed this on my neighbors tree that all the flowers are on the tips of small branches, not the main trunk. That tree is fruiting for the first time, so i thought may be it is a different variety but after couple of weeks our jackfruit trees also bloomed and they also had flowers on the top/slim branches, not on the main trunk. In the past this never happened with our trees, they always had flowers/fruits on the main trunk only, not even on big branches, just on main trunk. But this year it is completely opposite, nothing on main trunk and all on the tips of small branches. And, the quantity of flowers is not normal, they are too much all over the tree.

Also one more interesting thing is: normally there are 2 flowers on one branch tip, but this time there are 3 flowers on each branch tip. One is smooth and still not opened, two are hairy/dotted green and the interesting thing happened is one of the hairy/dotted flower turned black in few days time and the 2 other are still green.

Do you guys think may be it has something to do with the weather or something wrong going on in the atmosphere?

You are describing male flowers and what you are deacribing for male flowers is basically normal.
- Rob