Author Topic: Atypical grafting techniques?  (Read 8217 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Atypical grafting techniques?
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has seen or practiced any unusual grafting techniques? I was wondering if using a high speed rotary tool like a Dremel would help in making perfect cuts? My concern would be any rough edges and also possible increase in damaged surface area of the cambium.

I have also considered using a type of wedge as a guide for my grafting knife so that I can make straighter cuts. Has anyone tried his before? I know the best thing to do is to keep on practicing but I'm finding I have less and less time with two young kids.

When grafting out of season, I have much better success when I give my plants bottom heat. Just thought I'd throw that out here. Please share if you know or have seen any cool or unusual grafting techniques or tool used for grafting that could possibly increase the odds of the graft taking. Thanks,

Simon

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Atypical grafting techniques?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »
I've used hand held wood planers on hard wood grafts to make sure the cuts are nice and smooth.  Just make sure you place the scion against a solid surface when using the planer.  I have a couple sizes including a cute little one for small scions.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »
I saw a video about tomato-grafting with second-glue. I tried it and it worked. Just make wedgegraft like normal, put secondglue on the joint and hold it for 3 seconds or so.

For mango approach grafts i use tie-wrapes cable-bundlers. and then grafting tape as well so the joint doesn't dry out.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
Saw a video of a grafting robot. Think it was doing tomatos or perhaps tomato on potato. Remember it had these rubber thingies that looked like those triangular rubber pencil guides that kids use to learn how to hold. Except instead of triangular corners it had tabs. The robot pulled the hole wide by the tabs and slipped in the rootstock and scion. Then released. Thing kept the pieves together, provided a watee tight seal and provided support. Would love to try those.

Also found a blog yesterday that showed a keyhole cut and was using honey as a sealant. Honey graft. It dont give a sh**. But then he said all his grafts failed.
Shane

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
Hi Simon,

I have one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/A-M-Leonard-Grafting-Tool/dp/B001FA6H4M

I don’t use it much but it works pretty well.  I find I’m faster with the knife and if my grafts take there is no reason to use the tool.  I get a little bit cleaner cut with the knife but the tool makes a notch kind of cut that locks the scion and the rootstock together so it is easy to tie up, no slipping of the scion.  I guess it would be good for a beginner but I think one would be better off practicing with a blade instead.

By the way the tool was a gift.  No way I’d spend that much on one of these but I’m a cheap SOB.  ;)

Sven

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
Old thread i know. I'm contemplating a new grafting technique and came across this thread in my search for precedence. Thought I'd add the video:

This is the robot I mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTYLs17mWA

This one does a kind of veneer graft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aj7sfEuz18

I don't know about simon, but I'm still looking for unusual grafting techniques. The most unusual I've found so far are: thread graft used in bonsai, inverted root grafts, seed grafts (old literature describing dropping a seed into a hole in grape vines), bottle graft (used for e.g. mating avocado with different flowering times).
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:07 PM »
great topic, glad I searched the forum and found this...(I was about to create a thread just like it)

i sometimes will think of strange and unusual ways to link up a scion with a rootstock...

lately i've been doing a type of double saddle, where I insert two rootstocks into one scion, by placing two saddles (inverted clefts) side by side.

so far works great...and can be a good option if you only have one large scion, with two small rootstocks.

I have some other whacky grafts I'm working on...(other than scion stacking, which seems to work out nicely....u don't even have to wait for a scion to heal, to be able to graft another one onto it)....I think I might try to shave off a 5-8 inch strip of cambium, from the caulis of a fruiting jaboticaba, and then stick it on the rootstock like wall paper... :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
Tomato grafting? :-)
Regards,

Gary

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
great topic, glad I searched the forum and found this...(I was about to create a thread just like it)

i sometimes will think of strange and unusual ways to link up a scion with a rootstock...

lately i've been doing a type of double saddle, where I insert two rootstocks into one scion, by placing two saddles (inverted clefts) side by side.

so far works great...and can be a good option if you only have one large scion, with two small rootstocks.

I have some other whacky grafts I'm working on...(other than scion stacking, which seems to work out nicely....u don't even have to wait for a scion to heal, to be able to graft another one onto it)....I think I might try to shave off a 5-8 inch strip of cambium, from the caulis of a fruiting jaboticaba, and then stick it on the rootstock like wall paper... :P

Nice!

I came across another funky graft. The nut graft. Its kind of like an inverted root graft, except you cut the entire root off the germinated seed and graft right into the nut! Pretty funny.

http://www.accf-online.org/chestnut/nutgrafting.htm

Btw, I tried thread grafting a 2nd rootstock into my avocado tree. It just oozed liquid for weeks and weeks and I finally removed it.
Shane

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:02 PM »
Not atypical methods, but I now have a much deeper understanding of grafting than I did a few years ago.

Grafting books tend to describe each method, one after another, as if all had equal chances of success.  This is not so.

There are many variables to success, but I am a big fan of cleft (or whip) grafting over any kind of bark or veneer grafting in my environment.  Especially when top-working a tree.

I've had birds and wind destroy some bark and veneer grafts, but never a cleft graft.  Perhaps more importantly, cleft grafting onto new shoots after main branches are cut, as Carlos does with Avocado and I do with Mango, gives each scion a strong flow of sap it doesn't seem to get in bark/veneer grafts.  That significantly increases the take percentage.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:55 AM »
I used a method created by a guy with a username "JoelReal". He is the person with over 100 varieties of citrus on 1 tree. I had many success especially with citrus and stone fruits.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:15 AM »
Frankies here grafted eggplant variety to some other eggplant.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 06:53:18 AM »
I tried green grafting Cherimoya on Cherimoya for the first time this year. Had very good success rate over our summer while the tree was in full flight. I removed the weakest bendy section of the growing tip and the leaves down the length of the scion. I've found the scion is ready when the buds have started to swell and the leaf stem has fallen off.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
I have some pics I will post soon..

I have a few funky grafts I'm working on....

I just got a good idea today I need to try...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
I have some pics I will post soon..

I have a few funky grafts I'm working on....

I just got a good idea today I need to try...
I'm always interested in trying new grafting techniques. Looking forward to seeing some pics. For a green graft, I thought two out of three was OK for a first time effort, but yesterday I noticed the third graft is just starting to push, and I know why it was slow. There were three terminal tip growths on the rootstock besides the scion vying for sap, so I removed them quick smart. The graft should move along a bit quicker now, although the cooler weather here in Australia is approaching.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 06:51:30 PM »
Anyone use hormones to increase the success rate of grafts?

I recently came upon this article that suggest the use of IBA significantly increases the success rate of grafts by inducing callous tissue. Ranges or concentrations I've seen mentioned for use in grafting, not rooting, have been around 200-2000ppm IBA. Has anyone tried this on Mango or Lychee? If so,  what concentration are you using for Mango and Lychee?
http://www.rooting-hormones.com/cummins.htm

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
I've done a few grafts that I learned from a long-time local CRFG member -- it's sort of a combo saddle and whip graft.  You slice the scion like a whip graft, but then also cut a straight cut in the middle, and then do the same on the rootstock.  It holds together nicely for tying, but it's a bit harder to fit the scion into the rootstock cleanly.  I've had a couple take this way, but didn't have any better luck than with normal cleft grafts.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 03:17:54 AM »
I am using a drill. I saw a video about it.and adapted it. I used to graft some sproured seeds of mexican garcinia (Luc) in 4 years old garcinia seashore. With the drill I make a hole in an upper branch of the seashore. I use the sprouted seed when it does not have leaves yet, so I put the little branch in the hole.  Later both grow and graft
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
I am using a drill. I saw a video about it.and adapted it. I used to graft some sproured seeds of mexican garcinia (Luc) in 4 years old garcinia seashore. With the drill I make a hole in an upper branch of the seashore. I use the sprouted seed when it does not have leaves yet, so I put the little branch in the hole.  Later both grow and graft

That's excellent! What's "garcinia seashore"? How do you attach the seedling pot? Could you post some pictures?
Shane

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
I believe the drill method is actually thread grafting used in Bonsai that I posted before.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IxVS3zOheJg

Simon

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
Yes. Thank you. Moreover I posted something against it. And you explained me the technique potential about it . Now I am using to graft sprouting seeds to sapplings.  :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
The seed keeps growing in its little container and I tie it to the appical branch. Both plants keep growing until they fuse.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:55:24 AM »
I believe the drill method is actually thread grafting used in Bonsai that I posted before.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IxVS3zOheJg

Simon

I'm thinking of trying this again with some other trees. Can't find your old thread. Help?!
Shane

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk