Author Topic: Name that orange! (Please)  (Read 1441 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Name that orange! (Please)
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
Our property has a lot of citrus trees on it, all were abandoned for several years and we’re trying to bring them around. Most are Valencia oranges, but there are three of these oranges I can’t identify. The trees are much smaller than the Valencia’s. The fruit is smaller too, with an tendency to be wider than tall. The navel ranges from a tiny pin hole to a weird inverted cone thing- couldn’t get a picture of that extreme but I show a couple of the more common variants. Peel is very smooth, peels easily, very few or no seeds. The fruit is definitely not for juicing, it’s firm, And it’s vesicles separate easily without bursting. They’re just starting to ripen to good flavor now, overlapping with but somewhat later than the Valencia’s here. Once I finally ate a really ripe one I was really impressed- very sweet and delicious flavor.
Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance!

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Name that orange! (Please)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
No one wants to hazard a guess on this?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »
Well, one telltale sign, it does have a navel.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
Well most don’t, actually. Most look more like the top one in the 5th photo. And both the tree and the fruit are too small to be California navels.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
Pin hole or not, it still Is some sort of a navel orange.  After tasting how would you rate the sweetness?

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »
I was picking way early for a while but finally tried one that must’ve been really ripe because it was very sweet. This is all so subjective and words are inadequate but for sweetness I’d easily rank it up there with a California navel. The most pronounced thing I notice with this fruit is the compactness of the tree. They really stay small.