Author Topic: My 11 Mango Tree Collection from Top Tropicals tree update  (Read 71907 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Apparently my wifes phone isn't any better....

guys don't drill me on the pot size for the pickering...But its not going anywhere for a long time...also from the photos...you can se the amount of Perlite present in the soil....I think my babies will be happy, also the soil they came in seemed very rich and dark...not sandy...was also still moist..Even blessed me with worms crawling everywhere throughout the soil...

Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
...Pickering of all the Trees is a Monster!!!!! I decided to break the rules and give it a huge size pot where it will live for next few years until I put it in a permanent Pot. ..

Clay, I hope you reverse this repotting. I've done that, twice, and it didn't work!!! Rootballed trees MUST be repotted in pots of about the same size as the rootball. Or else you're gambling!!!

is it considered rootballed when the tree comes with a decent encasing of its original soil?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Clay I think you will be fine with the pickering in a bigger pot, just don't saturate it with water. Mine grew quite fast when it was in a pot and even faster in ground. It only looks like a 7g anyway.. 3g -> 7g isn't really a huge upgrade in terms of pot volume, though my experiences are from a FL perspective and not CA. If you have not, I would suggest pushing the bamboo pole the pickering came with further into the pot to make sure it doesn't rock too much in the wind, since it is a larger volume.

I have had good experience with TT both in shipping a 7g Valencia Pride and a 3g cotton candy berry(I was being lazy one day and had an item shipped rather than drive the 20m to their retail nursery) and at their retail nursery in fort Myers in which I've bough a Pickering, FL Haas avocado, Glenn (died in a tropical storm unfortunately), and a Tikal Sapodilla.

Congratulations.

On a second eyeball of the pic, it looks like the pot may be 15g or larger, if that is the case I'd suggest stepping it down a size if possible.

Word of advice with potted plants and incorporating extra peat into the mix - monitor the saturation of the peat somewhat carefully. Peat can be quite hydrophobic when it becomes dried out and has trouble being re-wet unless it is saturated in a bucket or on a drop (or rain). In my experience anyway. It can create 'dry zones' in the soil which cause parts of the tree to decline. Becomes less of an issue as it breaks down over time but can be an issue in fresh mixes of the potting soil... if you used too much.. which I have definitely done in the past :)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:08:33 PM by demingcr »
- Colin

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Congrats, Clay, the trees look great.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
is it considered rootballed when the tree comes with a decent encasing of its original soil?

TT always rootball their trees. See Mangosurf last picture. Also, I think they also dip the rootballs in some solution before shipping. I say this because the rootballs look too brownish to me. Could be wrong.
Thera

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Just going by your photos how are any of these root balled? They look like mango trees you buy here (Florida) with potting soil the nursery uses. Before planting be sure to unbind roots with a serrated knife.

While still in the pots--- Give them water and shade. Give the leaves a spray of water. (you know some or all of this)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:12:54 PM by zands »

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I think they just grab them from their pots, shake off extra soil, and wrap the soil in a bag/celophane. I don't know if it's technically root balling or just in a ball shape!
- Colin

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Apparently my wifes phone isn't any better....

guys don't drill me on the pot size for the pickering...But its not going anywhere for a long time...also from the photos...you can se the amount of Perlite present in the soil....I think my babies will be happy, also the soil they came in seemed very rich and dark...not sandy...was also still moist..Even blessed me with worms crawling everywhere throughout the soil...

Clay

Great looking trees! So far so good, kelp them and keep them in the shade for two weeks . They are not root-balled they remove some soil.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
JF

Is my Pickering safe in that Pot? I freaked out a little bit and ran to Lowes  to grab another small size pot.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Just going by your photos how are any of these root balled? They look like mango trees you buy here (Florida) with potting soil the nursery uses. Before planting be sure to unbind roots with a serrated knife.

While still in the pots--- Give them water and shade. Give the leaves a spray of water. (you know some or all of this)

Zands...I believe your Right...Appeared to be very dark rich soil, some of the trees had a worms  working their way through the soil...However the outside did appear in some places to have a coating/glaze maybe in some areas.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
JF

Is my Pickering safe in that Pot? I freaked out a little bit and ran to Lowes  to grab another small size pot.

I potted up And never had an issue. Your Pickering is fine. I think Ashok told me the other day that on 7 gallons they prune the roots.....all of the trees I order from them were 3 gallons and I moved them up to 7 gallon.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
I too have ordered from TT and overall very satisfied with them

For me what really work is that after removing from the box , and remove the plastic around the root ball , I put the plant as it is in some container (of equal size ) for a week (without touching the root system)

This is to minimize the shock and to recover from the shipment stress

Then after a week or so , depending on the condition of it, plant in a new container

JB

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Nice looking trees Clay. They seem to be in great shape. I may have to give TT another try, I've ordered lychees from them before and was dissapointed at the trees I got.
Simon

bangkok

• View Profile
To me that big pot looks great, in the small pots they can easy be blown over.

I don't see the problem with big pots, if it is rootrot then you can always cover the pot with plastic so it doesn't stay wet to long in cold periods.

Just give them some bonemeal and old cowdung and they will grow fast.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Great looking trees...congrats and good luck!! with all your new mango trees!!

Below are some of the ingredients I've used to make my Potting mix for fruit trees and has excellent draining...For future repotting. Perlite of course is great as well and much lighter than "crushed granite" or Silica sand" 

Crushed Granite...(rinsed or sifted to remove dust and tiny particles)

Pine Bark pieces (rinsed or sifted to remove dust and tiny particles)

Silica Sand...rinsed to remove dust...

Orchid Fir bark...

Turface (sifted and rinsed)

This is a mix made up of Turface, Pine Bark, crushed granite and a little bit of peat...

bangkok

• View Profile
That's a bonsai mix, do you also have a bonsai mangotree with mini-mango's?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
I still need to see what my next 4/5 trees look like coming in hopefully tomorrow including....So lets not Give TT all the Glory yet, but for now....Top Tropicals trees are "PRISTINELY" Flawless.

7g
Carrie
Nam Doc Mai
Malika
LZ( not sure if that is the last tree coming considering I recieved a 3g Lz yesterday, which is hoipefully Bonus!!!!!! )
Sweet Tart (on Back order)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Next, Clay, after all this mango hoopla settles down.... ;)....you'll have to
report on your first grafting attempt.  Another wait and see adventure......

And oh, by the way, with mangoes if you watch them grow on the tree
the reach ripening muuuuuuch faster!

Mr. GoofBall

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just cant wait to see my 7g trees tomorrow! I have a feeling they are going to be Monsters!!!!!!!! Both Boxes yesterday, 1 weighing apox 22 lbs with 2 trees and the other 29 lbs with the 3 trees.... WELL... the smallest of the 4 boxes coming in weigh 22lbs, then 29, 30, and 31 lbs.....The smallest tree of the 4 is going be double the size of my 3g trees i recieves with my biggest tree being a Titan in comparison to the others....A much needed Headstart in our slow growing Socal Climate....I think I will plant the 7G trees later this year like JF mentioned instead of waiting.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
My (4) 7 gal Trees Carrie, LZ, Malika, and Nam Doc Mai are out for delivery!!! I cant wait...I Hope my boss will let me off early so they're no stuck outside my door all day trapped in boxes....poor trees.

I'll be posting pictures of the new 7g trees and showing comparison photos of the size difference....which should be huge... The average size of the 3g trees came in at 11 lbs a piece while the 7g trees coming in has an average weight of 30 lbs minus one tree at 22lbs....So they should be almost 3 times the size as the Monsterous 3g Pickering and Pina Colada, LZ(Maha was missing some leaves, but had the best branch structure) .

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
yeah...c'mon man....BRING IT ON!!!!!!  I forgot - you're in Pasadena area, yes?

Vicarious Garious

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
Dummy that I am - Temecula/Murietta....daaaah....

:o

Garfy

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
GARY!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE HERE.....I WAS LOOKING OUT WINDOW LIKE A CREEPY MANGO Tree STALKER....

Give me like an hour an I should have some photos up once potted. And yeah I'm technically in Murrieta until you walk 20 feet to the stop sign at my house and hit the Temecula Sign.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
That's a bonsai mix, do you also have a bonsai mangotree with mini-mango's?

Bangkok, Nope its not just Bonsai mix...I've used this mix on a lot of my fruit trees as well...great potting mix, the only down side is it makes the pot heavy. Good news is it doesn't get blown over during some of the windy days.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Here is the 7g's I just potted.....with a cross country 4 day trip from FedEx.....Top Tropicals doesn't need to say anything at all!!!! I received 9 trees (5) 3g and (4) 7 gallon trees in almost pristine, immaculate condition...They are the cheapest, ship the largest Mango Trees cross country at 7g, and clearly the quality is unrivaled...Take that to the Bank and cash it$

First up my smallest tree Carrie...at least in weight....at 21 lbs

Second up, an incredible 28lbs Malika...lost a few leaves from the slingshot effect after cutting the straps compacting the tree

Next up we have my biggest tree at 31 lbs...A decent Nam Doc Mai that has been pruned heavily to make room for shipping it looks like...I can see at least a dozen smaller limbs that have been trimmed off. Definitely has the biggest structure of all 4 trees I received.

And Last but not Least the Monster coming in the ring at 5' 9 inches and 30 lbs....The Infamous LZ....was so tall that the leaves at the top of the box got mushed, but seem ok...The trunk is enormous and keeps its width halfway up the tree...BEAST......

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:54:34 PM by ClayMango »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk