Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 182625 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2019, 09:24:03 PM »
Is this the Mango Tree at Atkins Nursery your talking about.

It's on the right side of the main entrance area as you drive in. Not sure if it is their property. I took this Photo several years ago

Johnny

It’s behind the cashier’s hut where they sell fruits at the back of the property. I brought it up because it could be a vigorous rootstock for grafting even better than Manila. The seedlings I bought from maddock are strong and vigorous.

Where did u get those long pots?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2019, 09:27:30 PM »
Is this the Mango Tree at Atkins Nursery your talking about.

It's on the right side of the main entrance area as you drive in. Not sure if it is their property. I took this Photo several years ago

Johnny

It’s behind the cashier’s hut where they sell fruits at the back of the property. I brought it up because it could be a vigorous rootstock for grafting even better than Manila. The seedlings I bought from maddock are strong and vigorous.

Where did u get those long pots?

I bought them in long pots from Maddock nursery for $28 each. Unfortunately they don’t sell the pots individually.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
Theses guys make and sell the tall pots
https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php

Those atkins rootstocks grow pretty good.  Healthy trees. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:52:55 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:02 PM »
Theses guys make and sell the tall pots
https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php

Those atkins rootstocks grow pretty good.  Healthy trees.

These wud be good for starting seedlings to develop taproot... thanks brad.

The lz u were selling on a long pot was  cp612r? Ty in advance

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:28 PM »
I have some TP815Rs, its a good medium sized pot.  Its a good one to start mango and avocado seeds.  The roots fill in that size pretty quickly.  They are at the bottom of that page, scroll down.

If you just want a few pots they will sell singles.  You just email them and they will send you a bill to your email.
Brad Spaugh

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2019, 02:00:26 AM »
It's a little ugly, but I've had good luck with stacking cardboard half gallon milk containers (cut the bottom off of one and stick it in the other).  You get a tall container that avocados do great in, and when you plant you don't have to disturb the roots at all -- just put the whole thing in the planting hole, cut the bottom, slide it out from underneath, fill around with soil, and then slip the whole double-height container off the top.

Edited to add: mango seeds sometimes do well in these, and sometimes not.  Really big seeds don't fit, but smaller ones do well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:14:18 AM by barath »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2019, 02:07:43 AM »
Even with the tall pot, I would pain the insides with MicroKote or something similar. Everything I've grown in MicroKoted pots has taken off like rocket ships. Zero root spin in these pots.
-Chris

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2019, 02:13:18 AM »
My very young mango tree, should I cut it as soon as it flowers? need advice from our experienced local mango growers :

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:22 AM »
My very young mango tree, should I cut it as soon as it flowers? need advice from our experienced local mango growers :

Try the search function at the top of this thread or read the thread. Key words being "cut" and "flower".

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2019, 03:20:31 AM »

Let it fruit till its a size of a pea. Then u remove the pea-sized mango.

If u take out flower now. Chances are it will try to re-flower...

I know simon talked about this. Use the search button for a more descriptive post.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »

Try the search function at the top of this thread or read the thread. Key words being "cut" and "flower".

Do you sit on this all day and troll all day long? man most unhelpful member I met in this group, get a life bud. It's a forum open for discussion.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »

Do you sit on this all day and troll all day long? man most unhelpful member I met in this group, get a life bud. It's a forum open for discussion.

Thank you sir appreciate your help, I tried the search but it brought me to the last page of this post.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »

Actually, you're going to want to search "troll" and "no life" for the answer to that question.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
lol How are your plants doing?

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
lol How are your plants doing?

They're still small of course haha, so is the way of the Garcinia.

But I got a few of them in the ground. We'll see what happens.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Tell me about it, I have a new trick recommended by a friend, I don't want to hijack this thread so I will message you about it if you are interested. I am currently experimenting with it early days..

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:27 PM »
For the blooms, just leave them for now as gozp mentioned and you can remove them when they are pea to marble size. Alternatively, if your average nightly lows are 62F or above, you can remove the blooms/fruit regardless of the size of the fruit. When you remove the blooms/fruit, cut below where the panicle started and above a node facing the direction where you want a future branch to be.

If the flower panicles becomes too heavy and starts to cause the stem to droop, you can cut about half the panicle off to relieve some of the weight.

Simon

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »
For the blooms, just leave them for now as gozp mentioned and you can remove them when they are pea to marble size. Alternatively, if your average nightly lows are 62F or above, you can remove the blooms/fruit regardless of the size of the fruit. When you remove the blooms/fruit, cut below where the panicle started and above a node facing the direction where you want a future branch to be.

If the flower panicles becomes too heavy and starts to cause the stem to droop, you can cut about half the panicle off to relieve some of the weight.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I think we live pretty close so far the nights are just below 60F, so I will wait a little longer in that case. I just did approach graft using manila rootstock that is the branch you see in the picture. I am trying to make a copy a of my Pina Colada and OS after reading about florida rootstocks in this post. I am hoping to visit brad in the coming months to pick up some more tips, I am new to mango ..

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:42 PM »
If anyone here has experience fruiting mangoes it is likely they have encountered internal breakdown issues, especially if applying nitrogen and potassium rich fertilizers. It is also likely that some experience salt burn issues in the summer time if you are growing in clay rich soil and irrigating with municipal Colorado River water.

Gypsum can help with both of these issues, and I have a source for free gypsum for pickup in the East County San Diego region.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I can give you the info, but the gypsum will only be available for the next few days, after that it will be gone.

Exoticfruits

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2019, 03:20:10 AM »
Hello,

I just joined this site not too long ago and just wondering if you have a suggestion to cut off 1/2 of the 3 flower panicles or cut 1 or 2 panicles and just leave one? (pic enclosed)  This Cat Hoa Loc mango tree was planted a little over a year and is 5ft tall with skinny trunk. Last year I cut off the flowering at the top, hoping it will grow taller. But it didn't :( .
AVG temp in OC  is  57F  to 76F.
Thanks for your help.  Steven

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
Those are big panicles and are weighing Dow the branches. You can remove 2/3 of each panicle. If you completely remove two panicles and leave one, the tree will likely re bloom beneath your cut.

Simon

Exoticfruits

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »
Thank you Simon for your prompt reply.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »

Let it fruit till its a size of a pea. Then u remove the pea-sized mango.

If u take out flower now. Chances are it will try to re-flower...

I know simon talked about this. Use the search button for a more descriptive post.

Usually removing the flowers this early would result in new flowers, but it's been so hit that my trees are mainly pushing out all leaves. It may be worth a shot if you are impatient

I personally would wait... but I have a large orchard to obsess over and can find lots of other plants to distract me.

If I had to stare at that set of flowers every day I probably would pinch some off and see how it goes.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »
Pinching flowers at this time will give you mix results. You’ll be lucky if you get 50/50 ( bloom new growth) even so the ratio of fruits setting is very low.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
Is this the right way to pinch off flower?  according to the video, he pinch off the entire panicle, 2 to 3 leaves below it. (skip to 2:40 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndQ3GnBLjYw

-James

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk