Author Topic: What would you replace Mallika with?  (Read 3784 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
What would you replace Mallika with?
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
I'm not having much luck with Mallika.  It doesn't want to bear much fruit--hardly any blossoms again this year--and it's easily the least healthy and robust mango tree in my yard.  Also, I wasn't impressed with the flavor last year.  I'm thinking of replacing it with Honey Kiss.  I want to go with a small, compact tree.  Is Honey Kiss considered a fine-flavored mango that's SUPERIOR to Mallika?  Can you describe the difference in flavor?  I know it has a later season, but that works for me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:16:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Would you replace Mallika with Honey Kiss?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I have the same opinion, don't like the fruit but it does bear heavy.  Am grafting some of the Zill varieties on it.  Pickering is a great compact tree with tasty fruit.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
My Mallika is not a compact tree, it is a fairly vigorous grower. It is productive for me as well, but it has to be picked at the right time. I have got it wrong quite a few times. Letting it ripen on the tree is not an option.

I have Honey Kiss grafted on to my Angie. It is a slow grower and the fruit is top class. Late season as well. So, to answer your question, I would replace Mallika  with Honey Kiss. But a perfect Mallika is more complex and tastier than a Honey Kiss.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
But a perfect Mallika is more complex and tastier than a Honey Kiss.

I agree.

Myself and another grower have had trouble getting Honey kiss to bloom FWIW. It appears to require more optimum weather conditions than other trees.

Mallika seems to either love it's location or hate it. Most of the time they do well in Florida and it even fruits consistently in marginal territory like Loxahatchee.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:35:46 AM by Squam256 »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
Think I should be picking these more at the green stage?  After leaving them on the counter for a while the texture gets a bit mushy.  Also, some have described the taste as a bit on the carrot side.  People of Asian descent seem to love this fruit and that's OK.  But, if I have to harvest and leave them on the counter at just the right time...... ::) 

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
Mark,

That is too late.  I pick them before a color break.  Timing is tough to determine with them. I would say 2 weeks prior to the stage shown in the pic.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Mark,

That is too late.  I pick them before a color break.  Timing is tough to determine with them. I would say 2 weeks prior to the stage shown in the pic.

That's what I needed to hear, thanks.  How long do you leave them on your counter before eating?

Guess I'll leave one branch of Mallika genes while doing my cocktail tree. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:38:35 AM »
Mark,

That's what I needed to hear, thanks.  How long do you leave them on your counter before eating?

Guess I'll leave one branch of Mallika genes while doing my cocktail tree.

I have let them sit 10+ days after mature green harvest.  Really depends on stage at harvest and temps where they are sitting to ripen.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: What would you replace Mallika with?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
So I've changed the question.  If you find that Mallika isn't doing well for you, what would you replace it with?  I need a small, compact tree with top-tier fruit if possible, and probably later than Mallika.  (Mark, I already have Pickering and am very happy with it.  Also, I already have Mahachanok.)  I would try one of the new Zill superstars (ST, LZ, Phoenix, Cotton Candy, or Juicy Peach), but am afraid they'd be too big for the space.  In relation to the ocean, I'm like Walter Zill or Truly Tropical, but a little closer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:21:13 PM by johnb51 »
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Yes, Malikas are tricky they've  lost favor at my house after winning earlier taste test......I've top worked the tree and left 2-3 branches of Malika.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
So I've changed the question.  If you find that Mallika isn't doing well for you, what would you replace it with?  I need a small, compact tree with top-tier fruit if possible, and probably later than Mallika.  (Mark, I already have Pickering and am very happy with it.  Also, I already have Mahachanok.)  I would try one of the new Zill superstars (ST, LZ, Phoenix, Cotton Candy, or Juicy Peach), but am afraid they'd be too big for the space.

Cotton Candy is supposed to be more compact, that might work.
I really like Venus. Also you can give Providence a try.
All these are late

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
Yes, I've planted Providence.  Are Venus and Cotton Candy supposed to be compact, at least as much so as Mallika?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
So I've changed the question.  If you find that Mallika isn't doing well for you, what would you replace it with?  I need a small, compact tree with top-tier fruit if possible, and probably later than Mallika.  (Mark, I already have Pickering and am very happy with it.  Also, I already have Mahachanok.)  I would try one of the new Zill superstars (ST, LZ, Phoenix, Cotton Candy, or Juicy Peach), but am afraid they'd be too big for the space.

Cotton Candy is supposed to be more compact, that might work.
I really like Venus. Also you can give Providence a try.
All these are late

Cotton Candy is supposed to be more compact than whaf?  Where are you getting this info from?

Venus can have some sprawling issues, not like Coconut Cream but its not as compact that some make it seem.

Pina Colada may fit as a somewhat compact, controllable tree but its mid season.  Honey Kiss is late season and yes, its a compact grower.

Mallika is in no way a compact tree so if thats what you have there and you need a compact tree, it would not be a good fit regardless of your liking ir disliking the taste.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
Any other suggestions, Rob?
John

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
In case you are still interested in Honey Kiss, here are some progress pics. It is planted out in the Loxahatchee area. The owner takes care of it about as well as a forgotten stepchild locked in the attic.

August 2014

March 2017

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
My honey kiss is flourishing. I planted it 2 years ago from a 3 gallon and it's 7 ft tall and bushy now. It's holding about 10 good size fruits from an early bloom and now is covered with flowers and bb sized mangoes from the second bloom. It's one of my best performing trees. 

My 3 yr old Mallika has hardly grown and will probably get yanked this year. I'll replace it with another Mallika since I really like the mango.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »
My honey kiss is flourishing. I planted it 2 years ago from a 3 gallon and it's 7 ft tall and bushy now. It's holding about 10 good size fruits from an early bloom and now is covered with flowers and bb sized mangoes from the second bloom. It's one of my best performing trees. 

My 3 yr old Mallika has hardly grown and will probably get yanked this year. I'll replace it with another Mallika since I really like the mango.
So sometimes it's just an issue with an individual tree although the cultivar is good?
John

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
Pina colada is good, and your near the coast so fruiting would be better for you.I have to work hard to get good fruit set for pina colada  but its worth it.Millika has been very consistent producing 300 to 500lbs a tree ,nutrients have to be in very good balance and then fruit will taste very good sometimes even ripe on the tree

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
In case you are still interested in Honey Kiss, here are some progress pics. It is planted out in the Loxahatchee area. The owner takes care of it about as well as a forgotten stepchild locked in the attic.

August 2014

March 2017

Wow, that is one forgotten stepchild.  Would think because of the location and such that tree would be 10' tall.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »

August 2014

March 2017

Gotta clear that grass away from the trunk.  Go at least 3 feet out.  Pull tha grass up by hand, do not use Round Up (wont go into it on that subject, its a whole separate thread).
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk