Author Topic: What!?! The Avocado...(can you ID this fruit)  (Read 1341 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
What!?! The Avocado...(can you ID this fruit)
« on: September 28, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »

A neighbor gave me several fruit a week ago, skin was jet black and relatively thin (compared to Hass). They are on a dinner plate in the photo, each was about the size of a navel orange. Taste was very creamy, but there was something in the finish that was a little off-putting (a dash of salt and lemon juice covered it up). I think they were past their prime when I received them. The person who gave them the fruit is in the Port Charlotte (FL) area, so I'm assuming that's where the tree is. I've planted the seeds, just want to know what I might be growing.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: What!?! The Avocado...(can you ID this fruit)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
They look like big mexicolas.  Something similar.  It also has the big seed and off-putting mexican flavor.  But the ones I've seen have been smaller than yours.

Its some type of full mexican avocado I think.
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »
Thanks Spaugh. So that flavor is a thing, huh? I was hoping they might just be old. It was really hard to put a description to it, subtle yucky lingering taste after the initial pleasant, creamy bite. I'm planning on using them for rootstock, so not the end of the world.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »
Its the mexican anise (not anus) avocado flavor.  Its definitwly a thing.  Avocados can turn rancid if left too long on the tree but usually the mexican types drop before that happens.  They definitely have that bad aftertaste.  Im not a fan of pure mexican avocados at all, the only reason to grow them here is to fill in the dead season from october through new years where everything else is not ready yet.  Ive tried mexicola, stewart, and mexicola grande.  The mexicola is the worst and I removed the tree.  Stewart is slightly better but also has issues.  Im trying mex grande for the first time now and it seems like it may make the cut, not sure yet.  Didnt sense any of the bad flavor and its much larger than the others.
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »
Brogdon
- Rob

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »

A neighbor gave me several fruit a week ago, skin was jet black and relatively thin (compared to Hass). They are on a dinner plate in the photo, each was about the size of a navel orange. Taste was very creamy, but there was something in the finish that was a little off-putting (a dash of salt and lemon juice covered it up). I think they were past their prime when I received them. The person who gave them the fruit is in the Port Charlotte (FL) area, so I'm assuming that's where the tree is. I've planted the seeds, just want to know what I might be growing.
I guess you can eat the skin on these as well you could ask your friend for leaves used in tea (Mexican type )also a Kidney Cleanser detox
(but there is a order to detox certain body parts I read since just doing a certain one can pollute the other)
 in alphabetical order -- cleans the Colon, liver, kidneys  -- (liver again , and Kidneys)
Just got back from Port Charlotte Indian Guy  at the Motel  had 8 mango's he said all from India types
 didn't know Zill type though said American Mangos Garbage.

Plan to go back to Port alette (a joke I heard) meet some guitarists artist at a open Mike kava shop.
Ever heard of Bobby Phoenix (Raggae player/ singer)

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
Looks like a Brogdon.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »
The other types are toxic at least one is .

do a search recentely posted by mark in Texas how to identify what race of avocado it is.
I have some from the store

when I meantioned a order to detox the site I read it on many years ago
said when you detox one body part another one gets toxins in it

It was about the avocado's but she may have been speaking of another plant to detox with
or just being general which I think I remember it.
 (I may be able to find it if I have the info saved in my emails,
but may have not been a good enough site to save for learning)

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:29:26 PM »
I have mexican Leaves already from the mexican store
could explain how They taste when I do make the tea

not too concered about the order just thought it was interesting , and only going to drink some anyways.
Think it's suppose to have a anise taste (anole is found in a number of plants )

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Yep, looks like it's a Brogdon, for some reason I thought they were bigger. I can see why guacamole is mentioned often with them, a little flavor-covering of the aftertaste and it is very nice. I had been considering it for the yard, glad I finally tasted one. Much closer to anus than Anise eaten straight, but they were at a very late stage of ripeness. I have reservations about adding it now, is that aftertaste less pronounced if it's harvested earlier (but still ripe/creamy)?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
Yep, looks like it's a Brogdon, for some reason I thought they were bigger. I can see why guacamole is mentioned often with them, a little flavor-covering of the aftertaste and it is very nice. I had been considering it for the yard, glad I finally tasted one. Much closer to anus than Anise eaten straight, but they were at a very late stage of ripeness. I have reservations about adding it now, is that aftertaste less pronounced if it's harvested earlier (but still ripe/creamy)?
I've had plenty and never noticed an off flavor.
I don't care for the thin skin but i do like the fruit.
One of the few classic FL avocados i actually enjoy.

I would assume it is a ripening issue, over ripe and/or pick to early

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »
Thanks skhan, they were definitely very far along and soft/blemished (maybe anthracnose) in a few spots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk