Author Topic: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition  (Read 21982 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
M-4 came and went, from Zill's at least. I picked up the rest of them the day I ran into you at Excalibur. I had actually given the nursery worker one to cut up for you to try. They have been hit or miss, some definitely picked prematurely. When they are good or should I say great they are packed with coconut flavor and a definite top 10.

So it was your fault we weren't able to get any M-4s later that day.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
M-4 came and went, from Zill's at least. I picked up the rest of them the day I ran into you at Excalibur. I had actually given the nursery worker one to cut up for you to try. They have been hit or miss, some definitely picked prematurely. When they are good or should I say great they are packed with coconut flavor and a definite top 10.

Ah.  Ok.  Alex also advised he saw some there, picked too early. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 12:32:00 PM »
Warm up Breakfast: Florigon, White Pirie, Rumani, Taymour, Apricot

We played small ball this morning with most of these being relatively small mangoes. 

Florigon is the exception, a mid sized one.  I thought it had gone too far.  I was pleasantly surprised that inside was still ok.  Florigon is a decent mango with no offensive features.  Fibreless and reasonably sweet, on its own it would be hard to fault.  Yellow outside coupled with yellow dense silk inside.  Similar to Choc-Anon, it doesn't pop but this is something only a mango aficionado would bother commenting on.  Nonetheless it was a good precursor to...

White Pirie graced my table for the fist time this year.  If you enjoy resinous mangoes, you would probably enjoy her company.  It starkly contrasted Florigon, from subtle grace to a strong bite.  Julie and Super Julie like profile in a smaller package. 

Rumani is a small globe, so round its hard to tell the seed orientation when cutting into it.  I found it unremarkable relative to White Pirie.  Maybe gone to far, maybe just not as good it also has the resinous flavor but not on point today.

Some natives to Egypt argue Taymour is their finest mango.  I sought it out this year at Tropical Acres delivered.  Do not be deterred by the frog green skin with black spots.  Inside hides two tone yellowy orange flesh that defines delight.  Its O M G good.  Dense, sweet, resinous, rich and complex.  Its unusual to find such a sweet mango with such rich resin profile.  I think I'm in love. 

Apricot is growing on me.  Its light taste presents a steep contrast to Taymour richness but its refreshing. 

Breakfast winner: Taymour.  Easily.  I might have to kick something out from my top 50 to make room.

Now, time to get into the heavyweights: Lemon Zest, Orange Sherbet, Zill Indochinese, Phoenix, P-22, Cac, Coconut Cream, Kryptonite, Sweet Tart, PPK, Super Alphonso and Angie.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Abayomi,

Did you try any Kesar mango yet this year. Wondering how it holds up to other great mango.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »
Mel is also known as the assassin because he's deadly quiet.  Born in Jamaica, he's worked on Carlos' farm for 16 years.  I probed him to find out what mangoes he enjoys.  No surprise, he favoured Julie, East Indian and Haitian mangoes but said he loved mangoes so much he ate whatever was placed in front of him. 

I chuckled, advising that after this trip was over, his days of enjoying Haitian mangoes would likely be as well.

He chuckled, politely disagreeing.

We arrived at Tropical Acres and as I predicted, a line up at the gate had already commenced.... 
To be continued...

Our next stop was Truly Tropical.  Chris has been incredibly helpful to me over the last 8 years and I've developed a deep admiration for her dedication.  Managing 190 trees and over 50 varieties is no mean feat.  And that's just her mangoes.  Bonus points for time spent with the walking mango encyclopedia we know as Har.   Carlos immersed in all manner of pruning and fertility knowledge.  I was pleased to see them in their element.  Double bonus points as on their walkabout they found 3 Lemon Zest fresh drops.  bag em.

Meanwhile I was honored to update Chris on the Bermuda and Sierra Leone mango projects she helped me with. Youtube vidoes coming soon. 

As if that wasn't enough, we then proceeded to mash mangoes at her tasting table.  Video coming on that too.

And then we bought.  And bought.  And bought.  My guys looked at me with raised eyebrows.

All those mangoes?

Yea. 

Dinner finished the day which is when I found out Sheehan likes strawberries more than mangoes...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
Abayomi,

Did you try any Kesar mango yet this year. Wondering how it holds up to other great mango.

What's up NullZ?  Didn't get any Kesar this year.  I did see some @ Cookie Monster's.  I do rate it though.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
Nothing much Abayomi, enjoying the read up on your reviews.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
So a friend - originally from JA - came by, new to gourmet mangoes.  She was all into Haitian mangoes and I had to put an end to it.  We crushed Angie, Sweet Tart, Taymour, Coconut Cream, ValCarrie and Po Pyu Kalay.  She enjoyed them all, especially Taymour.  She's driving 4 hours to West Palm Beach on Sunday...

PPK has finally hit peak form.  Heaven, sliced and served.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the background info on Apricot, Future! I came across some for sale in Bokeelia, and there was an apricot undertone to the one I sampled and the one I bought (never sure if the name helps influence taste).

There was also a resin flavor as found in my Ice Cream and Neelam mangos (West Indian resin, I think Alex identifies the flavor profile as). Did you notice such a flavor?

I don't mind that resin, but couldn't stand the pine resin taste in Angie. My girlfriend didn't like the Apricot Mango resin. We both think Madame Francis is an awesome Haitian mango :D

Here's the Apricot we had:

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
Other notes

The mango barrage we mashed in South Florida was pure torrent. Of those we mashed before I had time to take any notes, Cushman was among the better ones. Coloration similar to coconut cream inside. It was in top form. Two classics, Mulgoba and Nam Doc have also been in good form this year.  When Dot’s have been good, they’ve been great. It’s probably among the mostly consistently good mangoes year on year. We also enjoying mashing Carrie, Julie and Super Julie. Ice Cream knocked my guy’s socks off.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
Thanks for the background info on Apricot, Future! I came across some for sale in Bokeelia, and there was an apricot undertone to the one I sampled and the one I bought (never sure if the name helps influence taste).

There was also a resin flavor as found in my Ice Cream and Neelam mangos (West Indian resin, I think Alex identifies the flavor profile as). Did you notice such a flavor?

I don't mind that resin, but couldn't stand the pine resin taste in Angie. My girlfriend didn't like the Apricot Mango resin. We both think Madame Francis is an awesome Haitian mango :D

Here's the Apricot we had:

Madame Francis is an amazing mango....in January.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
Also Sweet Tart have been less than impressive, overly rich and not exceptionally sweet.  Lemon Zest hasn't yet hit top form. 

Three other new ones I look forward to: Lucille, Gaylour, both via Dr. Campbell and Arka Neelkiran from Alex. 

Alex advises Gaylour has Egyptian origins.  Doc said its a "3,000 year old" cultivar.  Lucille is big, kidney shape, yellow with pink blush and surprisingly, polyembryonic.  Don't know much else about it. 

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
Some natives to Egypt argue Taymour is their finest mango.  I sought it out this year at Tropical Acres delivered.  Do not be deterred by the frog green skin with black spots.  Inside hides two tone yellowy orange flesh that defines delight.  Its O M G good.  Dense, sweet, resinous, rich and complex.  Its unusual to find such a sweet mango with such rich resin profile.  I think I'm in love. 

Ok that's how I remember them,  thanks for the review.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Dinner: Angie, Sweet Tart, ValCarrie, Phoenix and Po Pyu Kalay

Finished off the delights shared with my friend and her grandchildren.

Angie: Eat em firm folks and it will be the real deal. 

Sweet Tart: Ok so maybe I spoke too soon.  ST's dark orange inside conceals a rich sweet combo thats pretty unique.  I'm still leaning towward kicking it to #10 spot though, swapping in Coconut Cream at #5.  Splitting hairs?  maybe.

ValCarrie was good but they were all overshadowed by

Phoenix.  Its realer than real deal Holyfield.  Chris at TT placed it among her top 3 in 2019 (alongside Seacrest and Dot).  It took first place among the insider's club tasting.  Who am I to argue?

But along comes PPK.  Ok.  So.  I recall years ago letting them go ala Ataulfo mangoes.  This little wrinkled granny invoked more OMGs than a teenager addicted to social media.  Let your PPKs wrinkle people.  Yes there was a blackened soft spot on the end but my gracious - 'candy disguised as a mango' is back. 

PPK crushes all would be contenders.

Orange sherbet, P22, Super Alphonso, Cac, Coconut Cream, Guava, Lemon Zest still asking for my attention...

PPK

ValCarrie

Phoenix
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:25:50 PM by Future »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:28 PM »
The Gaylours from our tree have been superb this year. Complex Indian flavor. Large fruit too

Phoenix is definitely special.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
The Gaylours from our tree have been superb this year. Complex Indian flavor. Large fruit too

Phoenix is definitely special.

Gaylour “looks” poly but I haven’t checked seed. Being “3000 years” in cultivation would support the notion.  Have you or anyone looked?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »

Gaylour

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
Breakfast: Guava, Gaylour, Ice Cream

Ice Cream for breakfast is a legitimate move.  This mango sweets me to no end.  It has perhaps the most unique scent of any mango.  Its tough to describe but you know it when you smell it.  Creamy inside, scrumptious and pure delight to eat.  Slight fibre but nothing to write home about.  Ice Cream is a top 30 mango.

Gaylour is new to me.  And growing on me.  Its scent is mild compared to Ice Cream, but most things are.  Its taste also milder, more like honeydew melow.  Ultrafibreless and smooth.  Its big, fleshy and sweet.  I can see why Dr. Campbell is all over it and Alex rates it too.

Guava.  I have been bathing in mango aroma for days on end so when I cut a mango and its aroma grabs attention, that says something.  Guava did that.  Most probably already know what you perceived as flavour is +80% aroma.  Rob aroma, rob taste.  This being the case, Guava "tastes" absolutely amazing.  I have about 4 left.  Fibreless, sweet, blemish free, dense and highly aromatic.  I have to reserve a top 20 spot for the Guava mango.  if its the only mango you have, you've done well.

Guava wins.

Mabrouka, Sweet Tart, Zill IndoChinese, Super Alphonso, Orange Sherbet, Coconut Cream, Cac, P-22 all need attention...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
I hope after you've tried them all, you can rank them in order!
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
Ok, so things just got ridiculous.

On the table: Mabrouka, P-22, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, Cac and Zill Indochinese.

Mabrouka is an Egyptian cultivar, new to me.  Beautiful mango with spoiled spot on the blossom end both otherwise flawless.  Slick on the inside, fibre free and floral tasting.  Fairly sweet but otherwise unremarkable, at least for aficionados.  By itself, its a fine mango.  But it happened to be placed next to

P-22.  I had this on my list for a while.  Had it maybe in 2015 and recall it was great.  Found is at Zill Nursery this year and, my gracious, is it good.  Big, juicy, aromatic.  If I recall lineage the same as Kryptonite and Venus.  And the genes show.  I'm awaiting a friend coming over and saved half to share...barely.  I thought I picked these in the wrong order as P-22 went showstopper on me.  Top 20?  Easily.  Top 10...?  Ah lemme think it over by revisiting top 10 staples like...

Lemon Zest.  To be fair, they haven't been on their game this year.  Maybe 70% of their potential has shown.  This one was no different.  The smell was phenomenal. if you've ever smelled LZ sap straight off the tree you know incredible's definition. This fruit lit the place up with aroma but...the taste wasn't there.  A shadow only.  I did a Sheehan and cut another...a bit better but still...not there.  Moving on

Orange Sherbet.  Would this top 5 mango deliver?  Damn straight.  Silly levels of sweetness combined with epic citrus flavor and aroma would normally bring any comparative tasting to its conclusion.  Apex.  But here's the thing.  I rated P-22 slightly ahead.  That's not supposed to happen. 

But it did.  Side by side.

Confounded, I reached for Cac.  A top 11 fruit for me.  This one didn't look good, but spoiled skin only hid immaculate flesh.  Dense.  Strong flavour.  Complex.  Sweet.  Creamy.  Perfect.  Triple confounding creaminess.  Three way ties don't work.  That's not supposed to happen.  So I reached for a fruit that consistently ranks #6 among my +200 varietal experiences.

Zill Indochinese is another biggie.  This one carried a few spots outside but otherwise was in good shape.  Might be the only one I have left.  And I might have to do something about that.  It redefined creaminess.  Flavor profile, absurd.  Texture, preposterous. 

No disrespect to Mabrouka.  Wrong plate, wrong day.  Lemon Zest finishing second last?  Not supposed to happen.

4 way tie in exquisiteness.  Its to savour.  So as I share the other half of these four fruits with a friend...any order will do.

West Palm Beach is changing the world.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »

Mabrouka

Orange Sherbet

Lemon Zest

Zill Indochinese

Cac

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2019, 06:14:41 PM »
Lunch: We added Guava and Gaylour to the mix, finishing off the other half of breakfast.

While Gaylour may sound like a 1980s insult among teenage boys, its the opposite of offensive.  Sweet, melon like flavour in a big yet tidy package.  Guava rocked.  I ran my Jamaican friend through the mix and to my surprise, she rated Lemon Zest as #1.  Perhaps my expectations for LZ are nothing short of perfection.  She enjoyed them all, especially P-22 and Guava. 

On the table is our first 36-8, recently named Super Alphonso and if I can mange it, Coconut Cream.  I made need to make a coconut cream smoothie bowl at this rate...

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
36-8 is off the chain!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
What happens when you pit a bonafide top 20 mango against a gaylour?  Well, in fairness to Gaylour, it went first.  And isolated, seemed to perform well.  Contrast is everything and absent this, there's really no fault to be found.  Buy my God did Guava whoop it.  Richer.  Sweeter.  Denser.  Darker.  Its a superb specimen.  No competition.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
36-8 is off the chain!

I concur but its gonna have to wait until tomorrow.  Wrinkled PPK, Sweet Tart and Guava finished off the day.  True aficionados await PPK's wrinkles, similar to letting a Pickering go.  Certain would be aficionados (Sheehan), too young to remember 'Tang' orange juice concentrate (and good thing for them), doubt this approach.  Don't let that sway you.  The only question mark around this evenings sugary pleasure was, how do I justify keeping Guava out of my top ten.  Its almost too good.