Author Topic: 3 new Mandarin trees for the yard!!!!  (Read 3321 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
3 new Mandarin trees for the yard!!!!
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:45 PM »
Just put in a Tango, Kishu, and Gold Nugget....still scouring the Earth for a California Honey!!!!!!!!!!! I bought about a dozen Honey and and Gold nuggets and compare them every time I eat them (both at each sitting)...I swear that Honey edges the infamous Gold Nugget every time....Man!!! that Honey Mandarin is as literal as it gets for flavor...Has such a honey sweet flavor that isn't from this planet...at least a few light years away.....I might bite the bullet and order it from four seasons nursery.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:20:12 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: 3 new Mandarin trees for the yard!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
Warning!! I purchased the Gold nugget and Tango at Mcabes nursery.....Tango was a 24in Box and Gold Nugget was  a 15g....While planting both trees....The original pot shell broke off from the recently planted pot container shell..... The 24in Tango Box tree was actually a 15 gallon recently potted and the 15 gallon gold nugget was actually a 7 gallon recently potted......These guys are throwing these smaller trees into bigger containers and selling for a larger size.......SMH
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:10:43 AM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »
I haven't tried Cal honey, but perhaps Encore may be a second choice. Same parentage, sweetness and seediness.

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
Very nice, and yes, Four Winds' California Honey mandarin is very good.  Clemenules (Clemnules, Nules) is also nearly identical, so if you can find that, consider it basically the same in flavor. 

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Just put in a Tango, Kishu, and Gold Nugget....still scouring the Earth for a California Honey!!!!!!!!!!! I bought about a dozen Honey and and Gold nuggets and compare them every time I eat them (both at each sitting)...I swear that Honey edges the infamous Gold Nugget every time....Man!!! that Honey Mandarin is as literal as it gets for flavor...Has such a honey sweet flavor that isn't from this planet...at least a few light years away.....I might bite the bullet and order it from four seasons nursery.

Nice picture!  Is that your skateboard in the background?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »

Nice picture!  Is that your skateboard in the background?

No...what you are looking at is my commercial dolly used to move the 24in box trees lol

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Nothing quite like "engineered" solutions!  ;)