Author Topic: Borojo seed germination  (Read 1960 times)

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
Borojo seed germination
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:00 AM »
Anyone had any luck with Borojo seed germination? I have only had a few germinate out of all the ones I have tried to nurture. Of those only one of survived a week as a little plantlet... which struggled for a year... then decided to join his friends. x_X   I was quite sad to see struggles die.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Borojo seed germination
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
Borojo germinates routinely for us.  I can't see where you are, your conditions.  Simply saying USA doesn't say much.
Could the seeds have dried out? How warm is it?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
I remember buying Borojo seeds from ebay and I managed to germinate a few seeds, but they died several weeks later. Not easy to grow, In my opinion.

If I were you I'll try to grow Alibertia edulis instead, which is very similar to Borojo and easier to maintain.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:48:33 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
I grabbed 3 little borojoa trees off Ebay. They are doing well, new growth and adjusted well to repotting. Seems to be a slow grower, so starting from seed is probably going to take a while even if you can germinate. Seeds probably need to be fresh.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
This topic has been discussed here before, you may want too try the Google search option before posting.  One of the more useful discussions is probably here:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5753.0;nowap

As you can see, many report problems with this species so it can be a tough one for some.  I don't recall any serious problems with it (or any special tricks to get it to germinate), I think the main issue is having fresh seeds.  I was greatly delayed in planting my plants out (only been in the orchard a couple of months or so) and my numbers dwindled down to maybe 15-ish that actually went in the ground.  I don't attribute this further decline to any real difficulties in growing them, just that they had been ignored in the corner of the shade house for a couple of years (relying on natural watering only).  They all look happy to finally be in the ground.

Not any scientific study involved but the Alibertia edulis (its cousin) seem to be a bit tougher.  I have had more of those survive my shade house torture test.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk