Author Topic: Jaboticabas & such ...  (Read 30852 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Jaboticabas & such ...
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
ASaffron: It might well be cleaning your teeth, although it won't do the same thing as fluoride.  :)  Teeth are normally predominantly hydroxylapatite.  Fluoride converts it to fluoroapatite, which is a harder and more acid-resistant mineral.  So yeah, not the same, but it may well at least be cleaning your teeth  :)

I liken Jabo to concord grapes with a crunchier skin. I think that if you like Concords, you'd like Jabo. This is the way they were explained to me and I bought a tree without tasting its fruit. I'm in my second season of small harvests and can't wait till it's as full as some I've seen.

Make that an inedible skin and you're on the right track to a good description. Most people won't eat the jaboticaba skins, except Adam. :o Those skins are high in tannic acid.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:38 AM »
Make that an inedible skin and you're on the right track to a good description. Most people won't eat the jaboticaba skins, except Adam. :o Those skins are high in tannic acid.

Me too I guess, I love it  ;D ;D ;D
Tim

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks.

Brad
Brad

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
Which parts of a jaboticaba fruit are commonly eaten and which parts are actually non-edible? I heard the skin and seeds are not good for you.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
Jaboticaba wizards ... can you identify which Myrciara these are?

Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »
my first instinct tells me, looks like a mix of grimal and paulista...maybe from Ben??

defintely see grimal...but the other could be m jaboticaba...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »
Met a kind person this weekend up in central California. Saw the plum sized Jaboticaba in ground, and came back home with a jabo seedling from the mother plant. Its amazing how well this Jaboticaba does, it produces 3 crops a year outdoors in a zone 9a / sunset zone 15.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:00:27 AM »

My jabs are smaller in winter and are not like my grimal which look a bit more like those below I think (see I am listening).They and the yellows are the only types I have ever tried.With M.jab (which I have eaten 100's of lbs over 20+ years) I quickly snip a hole with my teeth,hoover out the center and swallow like passionfuit.I do it fast so I can eat alot in a short time.

Reading about ASaffrons' and others' experience with a diversity of jabs has me interested in growing hybrids,vexators and any other good ones I can get.At the risk of sounding stupid are the seeds of all species swallowed? Which do experienced jab campaigners consider the best in terms of fruit quality? It would be great to know the finest species or cv's so I know what to chase.Just a few names would be great.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:31 AM »

My jabs are smaller in winter and are not like my grimal which look a bit more like those below I think (see I am listening).They and the yellows are the only types I have ever tried.With M.jab (which I have eaten 100's of lbs over 20+ years) I quickly snip a hole with my teeth,hoover out the center and swallow like passionfuit.I do it fast so I can eat alot in a short time.

Reading about ASaffrons' and others' experience with a diversity of jabs has me interested in growing hybrids,vexators and any other good ones I can get.At the risk of sounding stupid are the seeds of all species swallowed? Which do experienced jab campaigners consider the best in terms of fruit quality? It would be great to know the finest species or cv's so I know what to chase.Just a few names would be great.

Mike, suggest you get a hold of Brazilian Fruits book by Harri Lorenzi. It lists very many species of myrciarias, with great photos. Most of them unknown in Australia. Seems like that is one fruit that's now well represented down under. We've got a few more than you, but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to what's out there.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
my first instinct tells me, looks like a mix of grimal and paulista...maybe from Ben??

defintely see grimal...but the other could be m jaboticaba...
Yep, these are from Ben.  I told him if for whatever reason he needs to get rid of his trees, I should be 1st to be notified.  He had a good laugh, his exact words  "no f***ing way, I'll never get tired of these trees"

So the hairy/fuzzy ones are M. spirito santensis?  First time we tried this one, it's a bit more tart  but awesome flavor, skin is not edible - to me at least.  I think the rest are M. Jaboticaba like you said, they were really sweet.
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »
Ben used the "f" word!??  no way he rocks!!! I never though he had a sailors mouth like me'!!  I love to use vulgar words to express myslef I just can't help it.

he had a large leaf jabo that he swears isn't fuzzy...did u see a tree that looked like spirito santensis , but wasn't?? he called it large leaf...I think he's just got spirito santensis, and not some other large leaf type...and is mistaken...but I'm not sure.

thanks for post Tim

did I leave any questions unanswered??
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »
Mike,
P/M. aureana is here. I may have a spare if you want to try it.
M. vexator is here, but bloody hard to find!
Our ban makes getting seeds in a no-no, so we have to just scour the east coast in the hope that we find the ones collectors got in before the ban came in.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
M. aureana, the white jaboticaba, is  fast fruiting, even without grafting.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »
yes Oscar u r right in saying they fruit faster than most myrciaria from seed...

but what if the only specimen available isn't fruiting yet (which is often the case with the rarest species of jabo)?  wait for seeds or graft?  which is faster?

if it weren't for grafting I'd have much less variety, and I'd still be waiting for seeds of most rare jabo.

I've seen some large white Jabos about 5yrs old not fruiting yet...and I have some going on 4 yrs, now flowers yet!! not sure how much grafting will help speed up fruiting if the scion is from a nonflowering plant.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Ben used the "f" word!??  no way he rocks!!! I never though he had a sailors mouth like me'!!  I love to use vulgar words to express myslef I just can't help it.

he had a large leaf jabo that he swears isn't fuzzy...did u see a tree that looked like spirito santensis , but wasn't?? he called it large leaf...I think he's just got spirito santensis, and not some other large leaf type...and is mistaken...but I'm not sure.

Adam,

This is my "Giant Jaboticaba" as Ben calls it.  Does it look like spirto santesis, which is in the small pot right next to it.

Here is the close-up of the "Giant Jaboticaba" leaves

...and the leaves of spirito santensis for comparison

lastly of 'Paulista'

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
eNorm,

Nice jabo pics! You got a nice collection started there.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
Thanks nullzero!

I have a few others in my collection that are much smaller.  I just wish they would grow a little faster.   :(

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
Tim, Enorm

we gotta figure this out...I think we already have, but Ben said he had a large leaf jabo, with no fuzz on skin..but this pic of Fruit you posted is fuzzy...im thinking he only has spirito santensis, grimal jabo...and not some other similar species.

I have some of these trees from Ben, and I was hoping they were different than the grimal, which i have plenty of.

Jaboticaba wizards, ... can you identify which Myrciara these are?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
Here you go, Adam.  What do you think?

Carraig - sorry to address your email here but the seeds I sent are from this M.jaboticaba?

that's Ben in the background...

this week's supply  ;D

Tim

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Is he a seller of fruits?
He sells trees and whatever in-season fruits from his trees.  Either at his place or the farmers market in Escondido.

Time for my annual trip to San Diego. How do I contact him?
Thanks,

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
Tim u got me a bit confused

the leaves look a bit different than my m spirito santensis (and so do the fruits, not quite fuzzy, and much darker purple than grimal)

bark looks very similar, and so do leaves...but different enough to catch my eye.

Id like to see a fruit from this tree cut in half!

also the fruit in the dish looks a bit like M. cauliflora, paulista...but I could be mistaken...(for sabarah)

where did u get those M. spirito santenis fruits (grimal) you posted earlier in this thread??..from Ben?  I wonder if he has a grimal, and the tree in the pics is different large leaf???

I want one of each garsh dangit!

Thanks for posting!  and helping figure out mystery.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:08:03 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Since the advice from the Plinia Prince I have been hanging over fences,inspecting park jabs and reviewing pictures of baffled jab enthusiasts.The jaboticaba situation from the land of plenty is that diversity is not plentiful.Plinia jaboticaba var. sabara is 95% of the population and they have been here for over 45 years with big examples around.Plinia spirito santensis var. grimal has been here just as long hiding in the shadows but always refered to as a variety of the small leafed (sabara).No Plinia cauliflora var. paulista were detected or anything else for that matter.
In the local nursery trade I know of no other fruit trees given the wrong genus,species and with their all important variety name omitted.I will report back if I locate other jab. species or varieties but it is looking unlikely.The industry needs a few uppercuts and mostly lots of jabs for their indiscretions.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
Mike, I was very happy to have yesterday located a good source for seed of M/P. edulis, floribunda, vexator as well as the good Campomanesia and probably E. candoleana. The source is just a bit south of here and is a treasure trove, but is also a bit unstable, for lack of a better word. Im hoping to get a good amount of seed from Spring and will send some up your way. I think he also has Paulista and a few other variations.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
BMc you bet I'm up for a few good jabs,E.candoleana (I don't like the can do part of the name) and Camps.