Author Topic: Best orange\lemon tasting mango  (Read 3929 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Best orange\lemon tasting mango
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
Hello again folks, what you recommend as the best orange\lemon mango tree?

Priorities would be:

1. Productivity
2. Growth habit (smaller better)
3. Decease resistance
4. Fruit taste
5. Fruit size (bigger better)
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Best orange\lemon tasting mango
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
Orange Sherbert, maybe Orange Essence.

Not LZ due to vigor and disease issues, but LZ tastes best to me.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:33:00 PM »
PPK/LM orange/lemon flavor has been outstanding this year, at least from the tree I've been picking.  I've only tasted one OS so far, and the flavor was very mild--about half or less of the PPK.  PPK size is small, but give me a small mango with double the flavor any day!  Not really a small tree, but no disease issues in Coconut Creek.  A decent-size crop this year, but I don't know if it's alternate-bearing or how variable it is.  Anyhow, this was the first year that the owner (who's had the tree more than 10 years) told me emphatically without any enquiries on my part to come and pick fruit.  I haven't tasted any LZ this year.  (A friend who had said he wasn't a fan of PPK tasted this fruit and was blown away.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:46:59 PM by johnb51 »
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Wow good to know, PPK can this good.  Is the tree alternate bearing?

Orange Sherbet seems like a good option it the tree produces well and is easily manageable.

I know Har really likes Orange Essense mango.

Never tasted these two kinds.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 02:50:36 PM »
Lots of good early mangos but towards the end of the season I still have orange sherbet still ripening. My trees have been productive and disease resistant. The fruit are around a pound and if the flavor is mild then it’s likely picked too soon.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »

I have an orange sherbet that's been ripening for 10 days will try it tonight. I have another orange Essence in a box that I brought from South Florida. That will be the second one that I've tried so I may be able to a form an opinion.
My orange Sherbert has never had any issues with anthracnose and I am in the interior 9B. In my area it growth rate is moderate and very manageable.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:00:22 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »

I have an orange sherbet that's been ripening for 10 days will try it tonight. I have another orange Essence in a box that I brought from South Florida. That will be the second one that I've tried so I may be able to a form an opinion.
My orange Sherbert has never had any issues with anthracnose and I am in the interior 9B. In my area it growth rate is moderate and very manageable.

Nice! Let me how the tasting comparison goes.  Is your OS mango tree productive?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »

Nice! Let me how the tasting comparison goes.  Is your OS mango tree productive?
[/quote

It was planted as a 15 gallon tree. This is it's third year in the ground with it's
 first crop.With about 20 mangoes
We picked our first one July 9th and let it ripen for 7 days. My wife said it was better than the ones we purchased in South Florida. Not bad for the very first mango off our tree
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:20:58 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »
strongest orange flavored mango is peach cobbler, that name should be changed. let it ripe to medium firm and taste it, if it is soft its gone too far.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 07:28:59 PM »
strongest orange flavored mango is peach cobbler, that name should be changed. let it ripe to medium firm and taste it, if it is soft its gone too far.

Yes!  Its a super tangerine flavor.  I like its original nickname, "Oh Too" which is a spin off its 0-2 number.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »

Yes!  Its a super tangerine flavor.  I like its original nickname, "Oh Too" which is a spin off its 0-2 number.
Do you agree with the ripening procedure? If so this is useful to me. I have had 3 and probably let them go over ripe. Tasted yuck

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »
Arrived in Israel with 52 mangoes for my grandkids. Included were V Pride, L Zest, L Meringue, 20 Orange Sherbets, Kathy, Venus, Sweet Tart and Cotton Candy.
They have only eaten so far Lemon Zest and today an Orange Sherbet. They all reacted to Orange Sherbet as way better and unique. The Kathy will be perfectly ripened for the Sabbath so Friday night it should be extra interesting!!! It will be a direct challenge to OS by Kathy.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 04:43:45 PM »
Arrived in Israel with 52 mangoes for my grandkids. Included were V Pride, L Zest, L Meringue, 20 Orange Sherbets, Kathy, Venus, Sweet Tart and Cotton Candy.
They have only eaten so far Lemon Zest and today an Orange Sherbet. They all reacted to Orange Sherbet as way better and unique. The Kathy will be perfectly ripened for the Sabbath so Friday night it should be extra interesting!!! It will be a direct challenge to OS by Kathy.
Glad to hear you arrived safely enjoy your vacation.
I have one orange sherbert that is on day 10 should be ready I also have 3 katheys ripening. Hopefully I can compare them side-by-side tasting. I wanted to do a side-by-side with orange Sherbert in Orange asses but the orange accents had to be eaten last night and it was actually quite good. Have you ever had peach cobbler at Peak. What is your opinion on that mango
Thank you in advance I value your opinion :)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »
I have 4 Peach Cobbler trees that are going on 4 years in the ground and haven’t ever gotten to taste a PC. I look very forward to next season. I envy that you got 4 Kathy’s to taste test and compare to your OS. Hopefully both varieties will be ripened perfectly and get immense pleasure and gratitude for giving yourself and others this eye popping experience. It will make all your efforts get paid off big time. It will be like visiting a King and a Queen in high court!!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »
I have 4 Peach Cobbler trees that are going on 4 years in the ground and haven’t ever gotten to taste a PC. I look very forward to next season. I envy that you got 4 Kathy’s to taste test and compare to your OS. Hopefully both varieties will be ripened perfectly and get immense pleasure and gratitude for giving yourself and others this eye popping experience. It will make all your efforts get paid off big time. It will be like visiting a King and a Queen in high court!!

These are the mangoes for tonight's feast. Malika Kathy and Orange Sherbet

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 06:04:52 PM »
We took the challenge. The challenge was if you were banished to a deserted Island. All you could take was one mango tree. The only two choices you had were Orange Sherbert or Kathy.
We decided Orange Sherbert was flavorful and Kathy had Zing to it. So if you had to eat one of those two varieties for the entire duration of a season.
The winner would be Orange Sherbet.
Kathy's tart sub acid component might be too much on a daily basis. I think a better challenge would be Cecilove versus Kathy. Even then I would still take Orange Sherbert. My wife keeps opining about Sugarloaf! That's the mango for her.

I originally wanted to do the taste test between Orange Sherbert and Orange Essence but the timing of the ripening was not in sync.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:14:59 PM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 07:27:26 PM »

You should look at your own photos. They are laughably low resolution. How do you manage to do this?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 08:20:18 PM »

You should look at your own photos. They are laughably low resolution. How do you manage to do this?
It's called a crappy camera phone that I bought out of a trunk of a car behind the liquor store.lol
As long as you had a good laugh my job is done.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:23:43 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 10:12:44 PM »

Do you agree with the ripening procedure? If so this is useful to me. I have had 3 and probably let them go over ripe. Tasted yuck

Not sure what you mean by the "ripening procedure."  Do you mean by knowing when to pick due to the almost complete lack of color change?  I wouldn't let them get soft on the tree.  You do have to figure out the best stage to pick and then let it ripen off the tree.  If done right, they are fabulous.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »

Not sure what you mean by the "ripening procedure."  Do you mean by knowing when to pick due to the almost complete lack of color change?  I wouldn't let them get soft on the tree.  You do have to figure out the best stage to pick and then let it ripen off the tree.  If done right, they are fabulous.
I guess what I meant is if I buy one hopefully the person who picked it knew what they were doing. When I take it home and  let it ripen to be a little soft to the touch or still firm to the touch. Other than being unprecocious it sounds like a must have mango.
On day eight our orange sherbet were spectacular. I feel confident enough to pick some more :)
Thanks for your guidance. I should probably post some pics of my sweet tart they haven't changed much for weeks not much yellow

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 11:41:53 PM »

I guess what I meant is if I buy one hopefully the person who picked it knew what they were doing. When I take it home and  let it ripen to be a little soft to the touch or still firm to the touch. Other than being unprecocious it sounds like a must have mango.
On day eight our orange sherbet were spectacular. I feel confident enough to pick some more :)
Thanks for your guidance. I should probably post some pics of my sweet tart they haven't changed much for weeks not much yellow

Yes, should be a little soft to the touch but be careful, it goes to too soft/ripe quickly once it starts to soften.

Count yourself lucky if the squirrels arent getting to your Sweet Tarts.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 05:36:44 AM »
[queote author=bsbullie link=topic=44591.msg435997#msg435997 date=1626925313]

Yes, should be a little soft to the touch but be careful, it goes to too soft/ripe quickly once it starts to soften.

Count yourself lucky if the squirrels arent getting to your Sweet Tarts.
[/quote]
Like one of the California crew States it is about population control. This spring I eliminated the Bad John males who carried big nuts. They are quite bold which it makes it easier to deal with them. The young females are much more cautious. But once they learn there's a food source such as guavas they have to be dealt with. As long as their content in the front yard eating nuts I don't bother with them because as you take some out of the territory others will migrate in. They have a forging pattern and are territorial when squirrels come from the outside of the territory they receive quick attitude. But is usually only a matter of time before the good squirrels turn bad. In my area they seem to prefer guavas because they can take it with them to a safe green zone to have a nice snack. They seem to have a short memory so I constantly have to intimidate but when one of their friends has a tragic demise they will ghost away for about 3 days but shortly after that they will return to forage. I lost a couple pink guavas and I was okay with that but when they went past it and for Zill white guava that's when I got pissed. Actually by Nature I am a pacifist but I have my limits. But no so far this season I have not lost any mangoes but I am a little concerned when those Sweet Tarts give off a fragrancany there might be trouble. I have found that their Achilles heel is whole roasted unsalted peanuts. The only thing that concerns me more is Frost protection Even In The Heat Of Summer when I look at my Piccabeen  palm tree I'm thinking of buying more trunk wrap.
Fortunately for me i have a Sentinel in my mother-in-law. Who gives me a daily report their behavior and l foraging patterns. They usually visit our yard from 7 till 9 and from 3 till 5
Thank goodness mother owl brought her Offspring for squirrel training this spring. There's nothing better I like to hear then ho ho ho at 4 in the morning
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:05:29 AM by bovine421 »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
BS bullie it took me many years to learn what you said about picking them green at the right time. If one is not in business then they leave the fruit on the trees past their perfect picking time hoping the fruit on their trees will provide them with food longer. On the other hand one who is in business and wants time between picking and ripening must pick green so the fruit doesn’t ripen in the lag time between picking and getting onto a customer’s hands. The best way to figure your varieties timing I think is to pick a fruit and let it sit and see how it tastes within  2-3 weeks. And pick one every week thereafter and repeat. The only other way is to find out from guys like Zill, Campbell, Alex etc. but you don’t want to ever be a pain in the ass and steal time from them. Like I said before somewhere I picked a green Orange Sherbet about a month ago and it took 13 days to turn yellow but still hard and it was heavenly. I took all of the rest of mine off 5 days ago and I opened a hard but yellow Orange sherbet today 5 days later and today this one also flipped out a grandkid. The other 18 will all be perfect by tomorrow Friday night. With this variety I’ve been very lucky this year but I got guidance help from many others.
Tomorrow night we are having a mango tasting/rating event after dinner and it should be a total blast with my son’s wife and 7 kids from ages 5-21. And man do they love mangoes.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
I agree, orange sherbet is amazing, I have a tree hopefully next summer it will hold fruit! I’ve tried orange essence and lemon zest and in my opinion orange sherbet is the best.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »
I was a little concerned about picking the light green orange sherbet a little early but so far it has been very forgiving. I want to try the other end of the spectrum and let a few of them go a little long in the ripening process maybe even turn yellow before picking.