Author Topic: Large leaves  (Read 1582 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Large leaves
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:22:44 PM »
Is the copious amount of rain and very few sunny days the reason for all the extra large leaves on a lot of my citrus trees? They are in ground and get around 8 hours of sun a day ( when it shines).

TFN

loneroc1

• Lone Rock Wisconsin USA USDA Zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Large leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
Hey Too Far,

What fertilizer are you using? Any changes in timing, amount or formula? Are all the trees extra lush, or just certain ones?

loneroc1  Steve H

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
I read once the cause of why a tree putting out extra large leaves., but for he life of me I don't remember,   However, the tree doing so is not all that rare.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Lower light levels?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
Yes, lower light levels is certainly one of the reasons. Sometimes water sprouts also have very large leaves. Interior leaves of the tree are normally larger then exterior leaves, but then that would be due to lower light levels as Vlad mentioned.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
when it rains there is a root pressure and a rise of sap in plants. Nutrients and water are more available. Roots extend further and overall the plants grow faster, especially when there is a change in temperature and pressure.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I fertilized  with 10-10-10 w/micros in Feb. also foliage pro in June. Pretty much all the trees that were in ground last year are putting on large leaves. I would say some of them are on water sprouts, but even new flushes have leaves at least twice the size of older leaves. The trees look healthy with dark green leaves and are growing fast. The large leaves are beautiful to look at.  I also planted some 3-4 ft. pluot trees in March, which have over 7 ft. of growth on them...no fert.  Must be all the rain.

TFN