Author Topic: Valcarrie  (Read 2020 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Valcarrie
« on: April 13, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
Below is the brief history as described by Walter Zill.

- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Valcarrie
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:15 PM »
Very cool read. Thanks for sharing. From the couple I bought the last two seasons (different sources), though extremely sweet, they had a medicinal taste to them that was just off putting to me. I'll try more again this season.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
I enjoyed the story of the Valcarrie. I heard that it wasn't a new creation and this confirms it. I found it interesting that the parentage for tree was so uncertain. It appears the name came about because the fruit shared characteristics from the Carrie and probably that combining the names Valencia and Carrie sounds cool, Valcarrie or Valkyrie. The description of a love or hate relationship with this fruit sounds about right. I had the perfectly tree ripened fruit last year that was crazy complex with strong resinous components. I was in heaven, and told be friend that he had to try a piece. He immediately spite it out and looked at me like I was genuinely trying to poison him.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Rob.  I find it very sweet with a fiberless smooth texture, and unique flavor.  Not the most complex, but something in the flavor profile that is quite appealing to my palate.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »
Where can one find more information on the zills? Lecture videos, papers, tours, opinions, thoughts?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »
I tasted Valcarrie last summer.  I liked it but don't recall thinking it could become one of my favorites.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Where can one find more information on the zills? Lecture videos, papers, tours, opinions, thoughts?

Unfortunately not much in the way out there other than in old publications.  Gary is not want to make his "secrets" public knowledge.  Most info you can find will be about Lawrence (Gary and Walter's father).  Gary does very little to none in the way of lectures or videos.  He spoke last year at a Palm Beach County RFC meeting and that in itself was a rarity.
- Rob