Author Topic: How to promote growth in lower branches?  (Read 988 times)

mattcolq

• USA, PA, Philadelphia, 7b?
    • View Profile
How to promote growth in lower branches?
« on: July 23, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
I just bought a 3 gallon sour orange tree instead of the 1 gallon tree size that I usually buy online. All my other trees that I've had for a few years have short trunks and are shaped similar to a bush. The trunk of my new tree is tall and all the leaves have been pruned except for those at the top. Is there a way to promote growth lower in the tree so it begins to look more like a bush?

Also, do you think it has a serious pest issue?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: How to promote growth in lower branches?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
I know of no other way to promote growth on lower portion of trunk except to keep the tops pruned back. This works on some cultivars & not so well on others.  There is grafting........you could graft limbs on the trunk anywhere you want them, a long & labor filled task IMHO.  A couple of sprays with Neem oil should eliminate your insignificant pest....Welcome Matt....good to see your interest.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:40:32 PM by Bomand »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
I always read that citrus trees try to keep their trunk shaded, so if you ensure that direct sunlight is hitting the trunk it should encourage growth there. 

mattcolq

• USA, PA, Philadelphia, 7b?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Making a cut above a bud can make the bud just below the cut start growing.  But that wouldn't work on mature wood where dormant buds can't be seen.  It might help a bud grafted onto mature wood. 
And there is thread grafting.  Drill a hole in the trunk and poke a limber twig, still attatched to the tree. through until it fits snugly.  The  twig grows wider and makes the graft. Then twig is cut between the trunk and the limb the twig origionally grew on.  Bonsai growers use thread grafts to put branches exactly where they want them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTgO5mNWg1g
Youtube has many demonstrations of thread grafting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk