Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Lime?
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
Can someone please tell me the scientific name of the lime you have there in Florida? I'm going towards Citrus x aurantifolia, but i'm unsure because apparently some other citrus get the "lime" name... so when i read "lime" in recipes i always wonder what kind of lime are they referring to...
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Lime?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »
Hi Pancrazio,

Are you talking about the Key lime-Citrus aurantifolia? Alot of recipes take lime or lemon zest to add flavour to cakes,pies....even my barbeque chicken wings take lemon zest for an extra citrus flavour!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
I think... yes! I'm a bit confused... this is the reason i posted!
I wanted to grow the plant commonly called "lime" in recipes i find on english speaking sites... here we have at least tree species wich qualify as lime: limetta (citrus x aurantifolia), limetta dolce (citrus x limetta), limetta ovale (citrus x latifolia) and citrus x limettioides. I don't know what i should search for! I suppose this can be very obvious for someone living in tropical places, but when i need limes i just go to grocery and don't care about the species! :)
Italian fruit forum

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Can someone please tell me the scientific name of the lime you have there in Florida? I'm going towards Citrus x aurantifolia, but i'm unsure because apparently some other citrus get the "lime" name... so when i read "lime" in recipes i always wonder what kind of lime are they referring to...

I'm no expert on taxonomy. However, in reviewing my notes from Professor Al Will's Sub tropical Fruit Culture Class, the two limes we refer to here in Florida is the Key Lime which is citrus aurantifolia and the Persian (also called tahitian) Lime which is citrus latifolia. So says Al Will anyway.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
Thank you Harry! This clarify everything a little to me. Apparently the Key lime is the less widespread one, but has an unique flavour. I have never seen the fruit being sold here. The Persian lime, instead, apparently is the one i usually find as "lime" in grocery stores. The other ones are sweet limes, seldom used for recipes.
Il try to get a plant with both varieties grafted, so i'll get fresh limes for my recipes!
Italian fruit forum

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
Thank you Harry! This clarify everything a little to me. Apparently the Key lime is the less widespread one, but has an unique flavour. I have never seen the fruit being sold here. The Persian lime, instead, apparently is the one i usually find as "lime" in grocery stores. The other ones are sweet limes, seldom used for recipes.
Il try to get a plant with both varieties grafted, so i'll get fresh limes for my recipes!
There is also a Red Lime (don't have the scientific name, will try and get it for you), excellent but I don't think you would have availability to it.

I would not say the Key Lime is less widespread, "originated in southern Asia and was carried by the Arabs across North Africa into Spain and Portugal. It was brought to the Americas by Spanish and Portuguese explorers in the early part of the sixteenth century where it escaped cultivation and became naturalized in parts of the West Indies, some Caribbean countries, and southern Florida."

I would not look for a cocktail tree with both the Key, also known as Mexican or West Indian lime, and Persian lime, also known as Tahiti lime.  They have two totally different growth habits with the Persian being heartier and the Persian will most likely dominate in the long run.
- Rob

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
Thank you rob for your suggestions.
I'll keep in mind the fact that they don't mix well on same rootstock, so I'll have to keep the in two pots. I's just a pity, i hoped to be able to save some space. The cover in winter is a issue.
When i say "less widespread" i mean that (apparently) is harder to find it used in recipes... unless, of course, the lime usually people refer to is key lime. I really don't know.
I have an easy access to those cultivars:
http://www.oscartintori.it/indice.pdf
So if you see something fit, please tell me. I'm going towards C. aurantifolia "Messicana" and C. latifolia "Tahiti".
Italian fruit forum

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »

All limes are good and better than lemons for that sour taste. I would not obsess (make big deal) over what kind. Just get a common lime tree planted (Persian lime trees are a big seller in Florida nurseries) and you will be very happy. Lime is very popular today in America due to more Mexican and Hispanic cuisine here from immigration. Today as popular as lemon but 30 years ago lemon dominated and limes in supermarkets were more difficult to find
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:11:36 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
Pan - I would go with Persian cultivar you selected along with the Red Lime that is shown.  The Red Lime can be easily grown in a pot and has great flavor in both the flesh and skin.  This will give you two variants of a lime that are different from each other.
- Rob

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »
FWIW Persian lime is the same as Bearss lime. Here in CA they are sold as "Bearss" for whatever reason.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
FWIW Persian lime is the same as Bearss lime. Here in CA they are sold as "Bearss" for whatever reason.

There is some question as to whether the Bearss is the same as the Tahiti/Persian or an actual cultivar.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tahiti_lime.html
- Rob

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
Thank you everyone. I think i'll go with persian lime, and i'll evalutate later a second plant.
Italian fruit forum