Author Topic: What Is A Good Ant Poison/Bate?  (Read 4201 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
What Is A Good Ant Poison/Bate?
« on: August 02, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »
I was cleaning my greenhouse and noticed a LOT of ants everywhere.  What is the best ant poison or ant bait for controlling. them.?

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
Re: What Is A Good Ant Poison/Bate?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
Millet
Talstar granules is the best thing that I have found to kill ants for up to three months. I use it in the yard and orchard but I would read the label for use in a contained area.
  My wife is allergic to ant bites so we have to stay on top of the red ant infestations. We found that the just dealing with individual mounds did not work very well. Talstar can be broadcast to cover a wide area and prevent them from returning for three months.
 Again check the label to make sure that it is appropriate for inside use, but Talstar can be used as a barrier to prevent ants from crossing over to the greenhouse
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:36:52 PM by karpes »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
I am not familiar with Talstar. It might be great. I have used Amdro a lot. It's a true bait and seems to work well on different ants. I see them carrying the bait to the queen as soon as I put the bait near or on a mound.

I just read an article on 'crazy ants '. They have other names too. I think another name was fuzzy ants. They are a recent new import and regular poison and baits are not effective. Researchers are working on the problem. Where they are present it's usually in huge numbers. They are smaller than red fire ants and I don't remember what states they are in. I think it limited right now. They have to catch a ride to move locations. They don't fly and mate in mid air like most ants. Really ! Millet if I can find the article I will email it to you. I think I know where it is. Tom

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:59:47 PM »
For containers I sprinkle Seven (carbaryl) around the base of the trunk, which is probably not the safest.  For around the house generic ant bait traps and raid gel drops both work well after a week or two.

My only experience is with black ants that do not bite.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:01:46 PM by brian »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
Carbaryl is the chemical name for Sevin. I don't think it's a great poison for ants. Bifenthrin seems to be very effective on many bugs. It also seems to be the latest greatest product on the market. People are using it to kill mosquitoes outside and roaches inside I think. Always read the label and be careful. Tom
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:05:52 AM by Tom »

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Bifenthrin(Talstar, Upstar, Brigade) is great for ants.  It's one of the only chemicals that is allowed for use on plants shipped out of the fire ant quarantine zone.  It comes as a granular product as well as in a liquid formulation.  It is fast, persistent at higher rates, relatively safe for humans, and fairly inexpensive in the ag labeled form.  Another product that I've also used is diazinon.  It works for mound treatments, but is a little more toxic to humans than bifenthrin.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
Amdro bait works great for fire ants. However the crazy ants are
here in Texas now and Amdro doesn't work for them. Only termite
sprays work for crazy ants. Until I found crazy ants in my back yard I
had largely avoided toxic insecticides like termiticides. The only good
thing about crazy ants is they drive the fire ants out and they don't bite.
Fire ants have a painful bite cause an itchy pustule.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
University of Arkansas has pretty good ant control pdf....

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/fsa-7036.pdf

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
I control fire ants on acreage with Extinguish II.  The best bait by far and easy to use.  Talstar aka bifenthrin is excellent as a drench. 

I get fire ants in my RootBuilder pots and Extinguish sprinkled on top of the soil nails them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk