Author Topic: Yes, The Grapefruit Diet Actually Works  (Read 2811 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Yes, The Grapefruit Diet Actually Works
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
The Grapefruit Diet, which is also known as the Hollywood Diet, has been making the rounds since the 1930s. Advocates swear it helps them lose weight, and claim that grapefruit has a fat-burning enzyme. Most health experts have disagreed, calling the diet a fad, and saying there's no indication grapefruit burns fat. A new study, however, shows that not only does grapefruit help dieters lose weight, it may be as good as prescription drugs in controlling blood sugar levels.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, found that mice that ate a high-fat diet for three months gained 18 percent less weight when they drank grapefruit juice than a control group that drank water. In addition, the mice in the grapefruit group had improved levels of glucose, insulin and triacylglycerol, a type of fat. Mice were divided into six groups. One group drank only water, and the other five groups drank grapefruit juice diluted with water at different concentrations with a bit of saccharin to counteract the grapefruit's bitterness. The water of the control group had glucose and saccharin added to match the calorie and saccharin content of the grapefruit groups. At the end of the study, mice that drank grapefruit juice gained 18 percent less weight than mice in the control group, and their blood glucose levels decreased by 13 to 17 percent.
Millet

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:54:25 PM by Millet »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, The Grapefruit Diet Actually Works
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:28:52 PM »
The Grapefruit Diet, which is also known as the Hollywood Diet, has been making the rounds since the 1930s. Advocates swear it helps them lose weight, and claim that grapefruit has a fat-burning enzyme. Most health experts have disagreed, calling the diet a fad, and saying there's no indication grapefruit burns fat. A new study, however, shows that not only does grapefruit help dieters lose weight, it may be as good as prescription drugs in controlling blood sugar levels.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, found that mice that ate a high-fat diet for three months gained 18 percent less weight when they drank grapefruit juice than a control group that drank water. In addition, the mice in the grapefruit group had improved levels of glucose, insulin and triacylglycerol, a type of fat. Mice were divided into six groups. One group drank only water, and the other five groups drank grapefruit juice diluted with water at different concentrations with a bit of saccharin to counteract the grapefruit's bitterness. The water of the control group had glucose and saccharin added to match the calorie and saccharin content of the grapefruit groups. At the end of the study, mice that drank grapefruit juice gained 18 percent less weight than mice in the control group, and their blood glucose levels decreased by 13 to 17 percent.
Millet

Millet, be wary of tests that do not involve monkeys or humans. 9 from 10 drugs and procedures proven to perform a specific action or to act as a catalyst for something fail in human trials. This study which did use humans found that Grapefruit juice can have impacts on people with liver problems.

http://www.nature.com/clpt/journal/v58/n1/abs/clpt199590a.html

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
Starling do we have to worry about an effect between grapefruit juice and medazolam,  a substance used induce sedation and amnesia before medical procedures?  I'll probably never encounter the need for medazolam in my life time. A much more common reaction is between grapefruit juice and some cholesterol drugs. However, some of the newer and best acting cholesterol drugs such as Crestor are fine to use with grapefruit juice. - Millet

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
I am curious to learn the actual biological mechanism that caused grapefruit juice to result in lower-weight mice, and whether the mechanism injurious to health.  Some fruits cause diarrhea, which reduces weight.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:46 AM »
I did test of my own with my blood pressure. Half an hour after taking juice of red grapefruit, my upper blood pressure dropped from 150 to 130. Of course it proofs nothing, because i did it only once, but i feel much better after drinking or eating citrus.
 I also decreased my body weight, since i am drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning.  There is every month some new study in internet with different results of experiments with drinking citrus juice. 

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »
Explanation of the grapefruit-drug interactions:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit%E2%80%93drug_interactions

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »
You can have your grapefruit and favorite statin too.   :D  Contrary to the statin label, they can be mixed.  You must take the statin (I'm on atorvastatin aka Liptor) 20 minutes before you eat your grapefruit. The statin has done its enyzmatic work such that it's too late for the grapefruit to screw with it.  Don't go eating a grapefruit and then follow up with your statin.  Consult your doc.....

Mark
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:51:05 AM by Mark in Texas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
I was on a statin medicine that grapefruit juice interfered with.  I just ask my doctor to change me to one that was not a problem, and he put me on Cresdor.  It was easy to switch, now I can eat a grapefruit at any time. . - Millet

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Hi everyone! I use to drink grapefruit+sweet lemon juice and i can controle and loose weight in a better way!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk