Author Topic: Juciy Peach and Peach Cobbler Mango  (Read 12700 times)

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
Juciy Peach and Peach Cobbler Mango
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
Been looking at Ebay for mangos to buy and saw these two varieties. Ive read alittle bit about Peach Cobbler but never herd of Juicy Peach. Can anyone comment on these two?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Juciy Peach and Peach Cobbler Mango
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
Been looking at Ebay for mangos to buy and saw these two varieties. Ive read alittle bit about Peach Cobbler but never herd of Juicy Peach. Can anyone comment on these two?

I never heard of "juicy peach" but I had a peach mango in the late 70's early 80's. It was pulled from the ground and dumped in a cracked plastic garbage can with a bit of soil and sold to me at a moving sale. It grew HUGE in only a few years and had fruit the size of a large peach that had no fiber at all and the flesh was the texture of a peach. I was told it was an old cultivar.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
If you use the search feature you will find info on both of these varieties. 

Juicy Peach, formerly known as F-29, is a New variety  created by Gary Zill as part of his breeding program.  It is a very good mango, not necessarily any real peach flavor to it.  It is from a Tommy Atkins seedling  however this fruit is free of fiber.

Peach Cobbler, formerly known as  0-2, is a top notch variety.  It is also a Gary Zill creation.   It is a Kent seedling  that was crossed with a Gary.  It is a pretty much ugly looking mango from the outside  as it stays a blah basic mango green but its taste gives the wow dactor.  It has a distinct flavor reminiscent of sweet tangerine sherbet.
- Rob

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
I have a Juicy Peach planted and traded a couple of others.  Mine is growing beautifully but I never tried the fruit.  Here is a link to a post that discussed it previously:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9591.0
George

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Thanks! I may pull the trigger on Peach Cobbler......maybe!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
Thanks! I may pull the trigger on Peach Cobbler......maybe!

That Makes 2 Of Us ;)..
Ed
Zone 10

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
Peach Cobbler doesn't taste like peach at all.

Juicy Peach kind of does though.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »
I had my first Peach Cobbler last night; I thought it tasted like J-12 (Super Julie); with a similar orange colored flesh.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
That's weird. I guess I'm the only one detecting slight peach flavor in Peach Cobbler. I thought it's appropriately named. It's great undercover mango though where theft might be a problem. Small and stays green up to very last day.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
That's weird. I guess I'm the only one detecting slight peach flavor in Peach Cobbler. I thought it's appropriately named. It's great undercover mango though where theft might be a problem. Small and stays green up to very last day.

Nope, never detected any peach flavor.  Every one I have had over the years have had a tangerine candy prodomimant flavor.

It was named peach cobbler supposedly due to the spice flavors in a conbler (cinnamon, all spice, etc) that were detwcted in the flavor.  Can honestly say I have not noticed those flavors.

Juicy peach, on the other hand, has a distinct peach flavor.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
They don't taste the same to me. Fruit shape and growth of J12 and Juicy peach are way different

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »

Nope, never detected any peach flavor.  Every one I have had over the years have had a tangerine candy prodomimant flavor.

It was named peach cobbler supposedly due to the spice flavors in a conbler (cinnamon, all spice, etc) that were detwcted in the flavor.  Can honestly say I have not noticed those flavors.

I agree with Rob, Peach Cobbler is the most tangy/orange flavored mango that I have tasted, more so than Lemon Zest at least the ones I have had, mine clocked at brix or 26. Peach cobbler is my favorite mango, ahead of beloved sweet tart.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »

I agree with Rob, Peach Cobbler is the most tangy/orange flavored mango that I have tasted, more so than Lemon Zest at least the ones I have had, mine clocked at brix or 26. Peach cobbler is my favorite mango, ahead of beloved sweet tart.

Wow, how can we taste so differently?  I had my samples from Squam, maybe very rainy summer in FL this year messing it up ?Some other varieties from FL seems to be down in flavor this year.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
remember, here in Southern California we get dry hot weather when mangoes ripen, we get most sweetness that we can get and Sept is prime time for mangoes here. we do get our fair share of bland mangoes here or there but mostly we exceed the sweetness readings. we clocked 31 brix on Sweet Tart multiple times from different places at different times last year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »

Wow, how can we taste so differently?  I had my samples from Squam, maybe very rainy summer in FL this year messing it up ?Some other varieties from FL seems to be down in flavor this year.

Exxept for a few exxeptipns, it was a crappy seaon in general for mangoes.

Peach Cobbler os also not a small mango.   Yes, any variety in general can produce runts but I would not classify the fruit size as small.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
The last Peach cobbler I weighed just a few days ago weighed in at 653 grams and the majority are well over 550 grams. It is a very hefty fruit and quality keeps getting better! It is not an easy fruit to gauge when ready to eat however.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:13 PM »
I just read the interesting posts by all you guys. Yes, Peach Cobbler has the wow factor amplified, Lemon Zest is mellow compared. It has a distinct spicy cinnamon flavor but yet somewhat smooth. I think once the tree gets into it's third or fourth year of fruiting, it will smooth out a bit. Eating the fruit off the skin magnifies that intense tangerine flavor and the skin is not in any way bitter like many other mangoes.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
I just plated my Peach Cobbler (not like I needed anymore mango trees) and justified pulling out a Hamlin Orange tree due to the citrus psyllid insect problem in Florida. Can anyone post a photo of the fruit when ripe? Can anyone describe the growth profile of this tree? Thanks in advance...
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
I just plated my Peach Cobbler (not like I needed anymore mango trees) and justified pulling out a Hamlin Orange tree due to the citrus psyllid insect problem in Florida. Can anyone post a photo of the fruit when ripe? Can anyone describe the growth profile of this tree? Thanks in advance...

Will look for a picture but basically green.

Tree is vigorous and upright with a very slight spread
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
Mine are scabby with just a hint of yellow.

Brandon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »
Nice point about the anti-theft factor!  I'll add Peach Cobbler to my "O.K. to plant by the street" list, with Fairchild, Florigon, Zebda, Pram Kai Mea, and Choc Anan.

Juicy Peach, on the other hand, has an unusual, bright pink color.  It is a good juice mango.
Har

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »
Thanks for the photo, Last night someone posted a video of the mango being picked from a 15 gal. pot. It had no scab to note, it had a slight yellow blush toward the top, and it was described as ripening sort of uneven. Kind of hard on one side and soft on the other. He stated that the mango was excellent. He stated that next year he hopes the tree will be more mature and produce a better mango. I think that this mango might be a real winner. I cant wait. He said it also had the most branching of all his mango trees and grew the fastest. This might be a great rootstock mango as well. Those Gary crosses don't play! The one I grabbed from my local nursery looked like it was on steroids, very tall with only one branch. I will cut it at around 4ft to let it branch from there since I do believe as others stated that this is going to have a Valencia Pride type of growth.
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

My peach cobbler is the most vigorous mango tree I have. But not straight up. It has a nice round canopy. It is putting out new flushes non stop. It's 3 years old and is still ornamental. There were very few flowers in the spring that did not result in fruit.  I just have it a very aggressive prune cutting off about 1/3.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »

My peach cobbler is the most vigorous mango tree I have. But not straight up. It has a nice round canopy. It is putting out new flushes non stop. It's 3 years old and is still ornamental. There were very few flowers in the spring that did not result in fruit.  I just have it a very aggressive prune cutting off about 1/3.

They're not precocious trees for sure. They appear to take several years just to flower and don't hold onto their fruit well.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »

Here is Peach cobbler perfectly ripe and ready to eat. Also a pic of the tree taken 5 months ago. I need to update and take a new pic. The tree is growing  aggressively and has been in the ground for 2 years and 4 months. It was a 3 gal tree and now stands 10ft by 9ft wide. It had about 70 fruit and I kept stripping the tree til it held 35 fruit max. The fruit held extremely well and literally could have easily held 45 and this was its first year fruiting. It is a workhorse here, and precociousness would be an understatement!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk