Author Topic: Feijoa weak trunk  (Read 2646 times)

King

• Northern California zone 9b
    • View Profile
Feijoa weak trunk
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »

The trunk to my feijoa tree is very weak. It has this strange bend to it where it can't support the weight of the tree.  I'm staking it loosely with rubber bands. I recently replaced that rubber band chain with a thin strip of bike tubing.

I bought this tree at Home Depot last year in August.  I was excited to see a feijoa at Home Depot since I always wanted one. Its a Nazemetz, so its self fertile.  What should I do to try to make the trunk thicker and stop falling over? It seems to be growing very slowly, but I can see some small buds on the ends of the branches.  I've read that feijoa trees are supposed to grow very slowly during the first 2 years and then grow more quickly.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa weak trunk
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:51 PM »
You could top it and/or stake it more securely.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
The trunk to my feijoa tree is very weak. It has this strange bend to it where it can't support the weight of the tree.  I'm staking it loosely with rubber bands. I recently replaced that rubber band chain with a thin strip of bike tubing.

Topping it will likely give the lower trunk some time to strengthen. But then your single trunk tree will become a bush. Maybe if you tie a small plastic stake tight to the base the trunk will grow around the stake?  I've seen apple trees grow around metal fence posts.

Does it get cold enough to get it to fruit? I bought three pineapple guavas just because I like the bush knowing they'd never give me fruit. In retrospect I probably should have gotten lemon or strawberry guavas instead. 
Regards,

Gary

King

• Northern California zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »

Topping it will likely give the lower trunk some time to strengthen. But then your single trunk tree will become a bush. Maybe if you tie a small plastic stake tight to the base the trunk will grow around the stake?  I've seen apple trees grow around metal fence posts.

Does it get cold enough to get it to fruit? I bought three pineapple guavas just because I like the bush knowing they'd never give me fruit. In retrospect I probably should have gotten lemon or strawberry guavas instead.

I'm assuming its cold enough where I live in Northern California, near Sacramento.  Its cold enough to grow fruit like apples and stone fruit. I've heard of stories of feijoas growing in Davis. There's one other feijoa tree I know of in my city, I've seen it flowering, but I haven't seen fruit on it, right now its setting out small new light green leaf growth.

The reason why I used a thin rubber strip to stake the tree was that I heard trunks grow thicker when they are waved around by the wind. I assume that the reason why the trunk is so thin is because it was tied too close to the stake and then sold to Home Depot. 

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
It will fruit for you no problem i Nor Cal. There are issues in Florida with it. I would either take the stake away and top it, to grow more like a bush (lower fruit is better IMO). Or take the stake farther away from tree making sure tree has room to sway a couple of inches in whatever set up. Either way you have to move that stake.

I always take stake out of potted plants when I plant them to avoid this problem. If plant is too weak then I just cut it and let it regrow strong w/o stake.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:24:22 PM »
It will fruit for you no problem i Nor Cal. There are issues in Florida with it.

Actually the Feijoa does well in the northern half of the state I'm told. South Florida or sure is not nearly cold enough for them.
Regards,

Gary

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »
I recognize the Sun Tropics Laverne tag. It's odd to me some Feijoa are pruned like that from the nursery and sold as Feijoa tree, and then the normal bushy growth will be sold as Feijoa bush.
It's true if you top it will bush out which I think is preferred normal growth. Either way you should be getting some tasty fruit next fall/winter. This is one of the most care free , automatic fruiting , drought tolerant fruits we can grow in Nor. Cal.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:39:36 AM »
Anyone know whether you can plant a feijoa deep in the hole? I've got a whip with the branching too high up. I know this trick works with some other species (including banana).

Edit: A feijoa expert contacted me and said this is not a good idea as it would cause collar rot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:01:09 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:39:25 AM »
Anyone know whether you can plant a feijoa deep in the hole? I've got a whip with the branching too high up. I know this trick works with some other species (including banana).
I wish I knew the answer. I do know they can be airlayered pretty easily.

How high is it branching? Over here, they sell both "bush" and "tree" forms. The tree form branch at around 1m or 3ft. That's not how I've seen them grown in NZ but they do fruit fine.