Author Topic: Mircale Fruit harvest timing  (Read 11555 times)

GROW

• View Profile
Mircale Fruit harvest timing
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:23:12 AM by GROW »

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mircale Fruit harvest timing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
On my plants under my conditions, the miracle fruit keep plumping up and getting better for about 1 week after they turn red, so I try to wait 7-10 days to pick them.

Kevin

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
Thanks. This will be useful in 2-3 weeks for me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
Great video. Thanks for posting it! Great to finally see Curtis and short glimpse of you. Curtis looks like a real smart dude!
I disagree with beginning of video which states that the plant is not magic. In Africa the miracle fruit is often called the magic plant. I like that name better. I think it is pretty magical that a plant could have such a bizzare effect oun our taste buds. It's only that we get used to the magical effect and begin to take it for granted and to explain it "scientifically".
Similarly all life is really magic, but we get used to that too!  ::)
About picking MF ripe, i just wait for them to plump up. First they turn red, then they start to fatten up. I only have the football shaped ones, not the round ones Adam mentions.
Oscar

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Oscar,

Some people might argue there is no difference between miracles and magic.  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Oscar,

Some people might argue there is no difference between miracles and magic.  ;)

Hi Katie, miracles are those rare suspensions of natural laws. Magic can happen all the time!  ;D
Oscar

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
Thanks for all of the reply's.....I have noticed they are getting a little fatter after turning red.

And on the whole magic subject, if any of you have ever studied Quantum Mechanics you know that even the laws of physics allow for some REALLY magical things to happen.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
Whenever mine turn red I eat them, otherwise the birds will.... Its funny seeing a newbee from 2007 saying they are acidic...LOL...only the first bite is tart...LOL... 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Whenever mine turn red I eat them, otherwise the birds will.... Its funny seeing a newbee from 2007 saying they are acidic...LOL...only the first bite is tart...LOL...

there's two types that some old timers never seemed to notice, ever since fairchild attempted to introduce this plant.

some are much more tart than others...yes I know miracle fruit can sweeten itself.  I know some secrets about miracle fruit that would make a pro and a newbie alike, soil their pantalone.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
Hopefully you saw I was being sarcastic!   Newbee who worked in a Miracle fruit farm!   LIke I would know more!   

I've got a few bush growing.  My biggest one is around 6 feet high.  Its right up against the house for protection.  I see in that video they grow them in full sun.  I guess you would get more fruit with more sun.   Mine doesn't produce that much fruit but It has survived growing outside even with the freezes we have seen.  It is in a well protected spot though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
My miracle fruit tree of less than 4 feet had almost 1000 fruit in a single flush.There seemed to be more fruit than plant.It is only just flowering properly again now after having only the odd fruit since then.I saw a miracle fruit tree on the weekend that was over 20 feet tall and reaching taller to stay above competing trees.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »

The tree behind the ugly model is a miracle fruit almost 15 feet tall and very wide. A carpet of seedlings underneath had been poisoned.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
Wow, that is a big bush, er...tree.  I had no idea they could get that big. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »
 :-[
I thought u were serious!

I am a newbie to some!!  Like Richard Campbell, Curtis Mozie, Gene Joyner!

Dave thanks for keeping me on my toes!  :)

Hopefully you saw I was being sarcastic!   Newbee who worked in a Miracle fruit farm!   LIke I would know more!   

I've got a few bush growing.  My biggest one is around 6 feet high.  Its right up against the house for protection.  I see in that video they grow them in full sun.  I guess you would get more fruit with more sun.   Mine doesn't produce that much fruit but It has survived growing outside even with the freezes we have seen.  It is in a well protected spot though.

Thanks Mike T for posting pic!  This would be the 2nd largest tree I've seen in a photo!  I saw some in Africa that looked to be 25ft.  Bill Whitman's tree was almost the same size as the tree in your photo, and supposedly grew larger...I wonder what became of this tree (said to be the largest on North American continent).

The tree behind the ugly model is a miracle fruit almost 15 feet tall and very wide. A carpet of seedlings underneath had been poisoned.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:57:25 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
The amount of Miraculin in an average fruit is enough to effect the taste buds of 30 people.

The best time to pick them is after they are fully red and start to shine, or gleam (like its close relative the canistel).

I do harvest these sometimes pink or not fully colored red, and they work just as well, but  the taste is not as nice.

There are a few variations of miracle fruit, within the species, Synsepalum dulcificum...with some of my older plants having a round shaped fruit, with firm flesh, easy to remove from seed, and a more acidic taste.

The other type is one that has a football shaped fruit, that's darker red, with silky flesh, that's harder to remove from seed, and the flavor is more mild (not as acidic).

Here's a quick video about miracle fruit...I've been involved with miracle fruit since about 2007.  Look for the bearded weirdo, picking weeds, in a big straw hat! It's yours truly.

Miracle Fruit Satisfies Sweet Tooth Without Sugar

Great video. Thanks for posting it. Are there any good sources of information for properly caring for these plants to optimize their growth and productivity?? I bought one of these trees about 3-1/2 feet tall at the PBRFC meeting back in May and it came with 6 berries. I have sprouted 2 of the seeds  and was surprised at how easily they germinate. My new little tree already has berries maturing on it. I had so much fun with my family hosting a miracle berry fruit tasting....the kids' reactions were great!

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Are there any good sources of information for properly caring for these plants to optimize their growth and productivity??

Heres a source, but not sure how to get him to give up the secrets. :)

I know some secrets about miracle fruit that would make a pro and a newbie alike, soil their pantalone.

DM

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
Adam,

Yours don't burn up under the Florida sun? Mine seem to prefer shade.

BTW, article about artificial sweeteners today in the NYT. Too bad they don't talk about miraculin! http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/which-sweetener-should-you-choose/?src=me&ref=general

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Hollywood,

The don't burn up in the sun at all, they get bushy and fruit like the dickens.

I do notice however, the tree needs more water and fertilizer, and is more prone to drying out, or becoming nutrient deficient.

Growing them in lots of shade is just fine for the casual grower.  Full sun is for commercial growing, and max fruit production.

This tree is extremely adaptable to low light conditions...and will make a good crop in full shade.

Another reason to grow miracle fruits.

Adam,

Yours don't burn up under the Florida sun? Mine seem to prefer shade.

BTW, article about artificial sweeteners today in the NYT. Too bad they don't talk about miraculin! http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/which-sweetener-should-you-choose/?src=me&ref=general
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
The MF in the pic was impressive for its width and density as much as its height.A tree that was chopped down several years ago on the other side of town must have been 25 feet tall.I have noticed several species that are considered small bushes or shrubs of modest size can get big in time i planted out.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
Miracle fruit also likes a lot of water. You can do like with jaboticaba and have a saucer of water under the pot to keep it moist at all times. I found out by accident that they can remain flooded for many months and survive just fine. Some of my pots were defective, with no holes on the bottom, so plants collected rainwater. I let them be and they survived just fine and even flourished for about 6  months before starting to dislike it and going downhill.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
Miracle fruit also likes a lot of water. You can do like with jaboticaba and have a saucer of water under the pot to keep it moist at all times. I found out by accident that they can remain flooded for many months and survive just fine. Some of my pots were defective, with no holes on the bottom, so plants collected rainwater. I let them be and they survived just fine and even flourished for about 6  months before starting to dislike it and going downhill.

very true Oscar!

it's drought tolerant to some degree as well!

i have a large pair that I hardly water, and they are doing great.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
there's two types that some old timers never seemed to notice, ever since fairchild attempted to introduce this plant.

I have four plants all from different sources, one of them has HUGE leaves compared to the others. Its not subcordatum, just a variety with very large leaves- its has not set any fruit yet so I don't know about any shape or taste difference. I will try to take some pictures of the leaf side-by-side
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:22:42 PM by GROW »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
 Weird Bearded dude sure is enjoying him self ;D ;D ;D The vid was great 8) Thanks for sharing Adam :)

I also use a straw hat when working in the sun...the neighbours find it funny  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
The narrator in the video calls Richard Campbell--"Bill". Is this a nickname I never heard of??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk