Author Topic: LSU purple figs success in South Florida? Texas everbearing?  (Read 3954 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
LSU purple figs success in South Florida? Texas everbearing?
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:53:22 AM »
Is anyone growing these figs in South Florida? How do they handle the rain, heat and humidity of South Florida? Insects? Open eye that insects can get into?

Taste? Time they are ripe to eat?
Thanks!

about the LSU variety:
This fig was part of a 15 year breeding and evaluation program at Louisiana State University. Bred by Dr. Ed O'Rourke and released in 1991. The fig is red to dark purple and is one of the Doctors most outstanding figs. The flavor is excellent with a high sugar content. It has a closed eye and resists spoilage. The flesh is light amber to light, strawberry red. The tree is a very vigorous, upright grower and hardier than most other figs trees. Five year old trees may produce 3 distinct crops each year.  'LSU Purple' is highly resistant to leaf diseases and nematodes. LSU Purple features handsome, large, dark green, glossy leaves. The fig fruit are about 2 inches long and average 20 fruit per pound. Very reliable and excellent for use in containers.  A great fig tree for the Gulf Coast and South East.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:21:48 AM by zands »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: LSU purple figs success in South Florida? Texas everbearing?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »
LSU Purple did not succeed for me.  I've sent you a PM.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
While i have no personal experience with LSU Purple,  i have spoken with people who have had very good success with it.  Closed eye.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
While i have no personal experience with LSU Purple,  i have spoken with people who have had very good success with it.  Closed eye.
yes my friends on Merritt Island grow this variety, and it does very well.  It's a nice fig, especially when you've only got Brown Turkey.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
I would check the figs4fun forum but someone was just telling me all the lsu varieties are going great for them.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
Hey Jonathon, that might have been me over on the other forum.  I am the one who posted I live near the Space Center.

My LSU Purple figs have done well for me.  Most of mine are currently in their second leaf and in 7 gallon pots.  They have around a dozen or so fruits each, and my main crop is just ripening now.  My breba crop was light, since I started the cuttings February 2014.  I got one colored up that I am letting hang, shrivel, and maybe get some sugar spots on it.  If the wildlife don't get to it through the organza bag, I will post an external and internal pic in the next few days.

I will have some cuttings this fall/winter/spring for anyone interested

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »
Skip LSU Gold fig, it has a larger eye and can be prone to rot and bugs. I have been trialing Vista (got figs last year), Dark Portuguese, and Violet Sepor.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »
Skip LSU Gold fig, it has a larger eye and can be prone to rot and bugs. I have been trialing Vista (got figs last year), Dark Portuguese, and Violet Sepor.

Nullz..

btw,  that MSVS (? what was the name?) u gave me has been a good performer!!

I was doubtful it hold up in the FL humidity, but it turns out you were right!

great fig!  I'm going to propagate more for sure!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »

Nullz..

btw,  that MSVS (? what was the name?) u gave me has been a good performer!!

I was doubtful it hold up in the FL humidity, but it turns out you were right!

great fig!  I'm going to propagate more for sure!

Good to hear Adam, yeah I hook you up with some other supposedly good performers for heat and humidity. You want to get your hands on Violet Sepor, the MvsB was in ground for a few years produces nice great berry tasting figs, the Violet Sepor producing first year in a container was sweeter and even tastier (MvsB is a great tasting fig to start with).

So far Violet Sepor looks very promising in FL. It held up fine and produced figs which were promptly eaten by wildlife lol.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:50:53 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »
Is it MBVS? (Marseilles Black VS)

This one takes the Texas heat like a champ. Also cold hardy(lows were in the teens F on a few nights). Did not protect mine last winter and lost only a couple of small branches. Its been in the ground about 3 yrs. One issue for me is that when it is very hot (100F) they tend to ripen quickly and they are not as sweet. Birds love the dark color and its a challenge to protect them as well.

The fruit tends to hang on the tree and not drop when ripe. They hang on till they dry up. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk